Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
neorider wrote:
radatabs wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:
how would people rate these wheels not sure about the price but i think it can be haggled down a bit as they been on sale for a quite a long time

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2108942/

Good hubs and alright rims, are you running xd currently?

IMO 28-32 spokes should be standard. Those are some really nice XC / light trail wheels but don’t think I would get too rowdy with em.

Not suitable for enduro and jumps drops then I'll look elsewhere thanks for the help.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:43 Quote
neorider wrote:
radatabs wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:
how would people rate these wheels not sure about the price but i think it can be haggled down a bit as they been on sale for a quite a long time

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2108942/

Good hubs and alright rims, are you running xd currently?

IMO 28-32 spokes should be standard. Those are some really nice XC / light trail wheels but don’t think I would get too rowdy with em.

I always try to buy downhill and dj parts from people who realized they ride more xc, buy xc parts from the dentists who realized they don't ever ride, and avoid buying anything from people who realized they ride too hard for whatever they had.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 10:17 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Has anyone had experience with the Shimmano XTR levers and Saint caliper combo?
Also, how much better is the nice Shimmano router(xtr/saint) that the Slx one? Is it worth the price difference?
Can someone answer my questions?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
Has anyone had experience with the Shimmano XTR levers and Saint caliper combo?
Also, how much better is the nice Shimmano router(xtr/saint) that the Slx one? Is it worth the price difference?
Can someone answer my questions?

Sorry, no exp w that lever caliper combo. Like all things top end, xtr rotors prop not worth inc cost

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:39 Quote
XT Ice Tec rotors are the workhorse of the Shimano rotor line. Any Shimano lever will work with any Shimano caliper, so you're going to get the same lever feel with an XTR lever and Saint caliper unless you use an XTR Race (which will feel different because it lacks Servo Wave).

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 12:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
XT Ice Tec rotors are the workhorse of the Shimano rotor line. Any Shimano lever will work with any Shimano caliper, so you're going to get the same lever feel with an XTR lever and Saint caliper unless you use an XTR Race (which will feel different because it lacks Servo Wave).
Is there differences on trail with the routers or is it just a marketing thing that people don't need.
Also what is servo wave?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Is there differences on trail with the routers or is it just a marketing thing that people don't need.
Also what is servo wave?

Rotors. Not routers. Just saying.

Yes, the higher end rotors that feature Ice Tec perform better. They dissipate heat better and suffer from less brake fade on longer descents.

Servo Wave is that weird little hump that you feel in 99% of the modern Shimano levers. It's kind of hard to describe how it works, partially because I don't like how it feels and I'm not convinced that it does what Shimano says it does. From my understanding it has something to do with the way the lever pivots when it's pulled. It has a little channel in which a link slides when you pull the lever, which Shimano claims increases braking power or leverage or something. I can't find any official Servo Wave documentation on Shimano's site anymore.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:02 Quote
seraph wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Also what is servo wave?

Yes, the higher end rotors that feature Ice Tec perform better. They dissipate heat better and suffer from less brake fade on longer descents.

Servo Wave is that weird little hump that you feel in 99% of the modern Shimano levers. It's kind of hard to describe how it works, partially because I don't like how it feels and I'm not convinced that it does what Shimano says it does. From my understanding it has something to do with the way the lever pivots when it's pulled. It has a little channel in which a link slides when you pull the lever, which Shimano claims increases braking power or leverage or something. I can't find any official Servo Wave documentation on Shimano's site anymore.

It adjusts the leverage ratio of the lever, the further you pull the lever it will progressively apply my braking force.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:20 Quote
seraph wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Also what is servo wave?

a*shole. Not ass-hole. Just saying

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Also what is servo wave?

My icetech rotors arrived yesterday. These are nice! Pretty excited to try them on the trail.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
seraph wrote:
bike2850 wrote:

Also what is servo wave?

a*shole. Not ass-hole. Just saying

Don't be a prick. He corrected some spelling and did a decent job answering your question. f*ck off if you're not here to lean.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
is it possible to add new oil to a coil shock?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 13:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
seraph wrote:
bike2850 wrote:

Also what is servo wave?

My icetech rotors arrived yesterday. These are nice! Pretty excited to try them on the trail.

For all the crap I give Shimano, I gotta say the IceTec rotors work super well. Definitely a cool feature.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
gotta ask as ive been set on getting a dartmoor hornet for a while now but now orange crush has came down in price im not sure

dartmoor hornet vs orange crush

aggressive hardtail used for jumps/drops general trail riding.

which would you get as i can build a dartmoor hornet for same cost as orange crush S (pre build sunset cycles)

crush will be slightly better spec'd having a 11 spd groupset compared to the 10 spd i would put on the hornet

and will have a RockShox Yari 150mm RC Boost as compared to the possible 170mm xfusion non boost on the hornet

orange will come mostly pre build i might have to consult my bike shop on the art of pressing a headset as i lack the tools.

orange would have matching wheels Formula + Alex MD25 27.5" where the hornet will have hope at the front and mavic at the back.

both have good reviews

thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 16:45 Quote
seraph wrote:
Would doing Xtr levers and saint calibes be a smart desision or would it be better to go full saint of full xtr?
Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.063114
Mobile Version of Website