Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
I'm re-packing all the pivot bearings on my bike this week. Anyone have any preferences for bearing grease? I've typically used Park Tool PPL1, and it's fine, but I'm curious about what ya'll pros think...
Mobil HPX 222,used by Hope.

Guessing you mean XHP 222?
nope says HPX 222 on my grease

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 12:15 Quote
Apologies if this question has been asked previously...

I’m planning to replace the pivot bearings on my Giant Reign in the coming months and am looking at getting a set of Enduro Max bearings (possibly the black oxide ones for the added corrosion resistance). Question is, are they worth the money, or are there better alternatives out there?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
Mobil HPX 222,used by Hope.

apologies your right mate.Wheres my specticals?

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

Read some other reviews on this stuff; seems pretty legit. Ordered it and we'll see how it holds up! I've only really gotten like 300-400 miles out of the PPL1 so hopefully this will run something like 600 miles between needing a re-pack.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 20:44 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

Read some other reviews on this stuff; seems pretty legit. Ordered it and we'll see how it holds up! I've only really gotten like 300-400 miles out of the PPL1 so hopefully this will run something like 600 miles between needing a re-pack.

Why not just replace the bearings?...

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 21:53 Quote
nubbs wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

Why not just replace the bearings?...

Two reasons: 1) I'm cheap, and 2) unless they are mechanically worn, there is no need.

I'd way rather re-pack my bearings three or four times annually for $2 each time and have buttery smooth suspension nearly all the time than spend $65 on Enduro bearings once annually because I'm not maintaining them and have mediocre sensitivity for half the year. People go way too long between bearing services and have to replace them prematurely.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 23:39 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

you can wipe a bit on a piece of wood,and jet wash it,it doesn't come off,really good stuff,too thick for wheel bearings though.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:30 Quote
ClickG wrote:
Hello! anyone has a clue if the spring below will fit my Ohlins TTX22m?
https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1019968-grade5-ti-feder-350-x-3-0-cane-creek-auch-tausch
so i went over the measurements with the seller and they're all the same as on my SAR racing spring which is supposed to be made for my shock. he pointed out that he thinks its not safe to run the spring which has a 0.3mm clearance around the body. ive been running the SAR spring and nothing happened yet. opinions?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:42 Quote
a few ohlins coil shocks I've seen through my shop has had a scratched body from the spring contacting it, i suppose it would also add a small amount of friction too?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:58 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
a few ohlins coil shocks I've seen through my shop has had a scratched body from the spring contacting it, i suppose it would also add a small amount of friction too?

Yes a bit, but i think they're negligible compared to friction in bushing and pivots. However the scratched body might cause some oil leaks

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 5:05 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:

Yes a bit, but i think they're negligible compared to friction in bushing and pivots. However the scratched body might cause some oil leaks
I mean i got the scratches when using the original coil but they're minor as far as i know not even like .1mm deep. and is the body made so fragile that the leaks would appear soon?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:47 Quote
ClickG wrote:
Whipperman wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:

I mean i got the scratches when using the original coil but they're minor as far as i know not even like .1mm deep. and is the body made so fragile that the leaks would appear soon?

I don't know what an ohlins MTB shock is like, but I do know, IMO, that a scratch more than a few MILs (0.1 mm) would be considered deep or below the surface

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:52 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

you can wipe a bit on a piece of wood,and jet wash it,it doesn't come off,really good stuff,too thick for wheel bearings though.

sounds like good stuff, how would you compare it to White Lightning Crystal ?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 10:07 Quote
want to rebuild my front wheel and have this 15mm front hub
unbranded but it seems like a novatec
even with pliers its impossible to open the caps to check bearings
anny ideas

front hub

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 10:37 Quote
If there's no wrench flats then you'll need an axle vice to remove them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.058567
Mobile Version of Website