Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 9:39 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
My drivetran was going out on my bike so I swapped dt’s with my hardtail. The xt 1x11 went on my nomad effortlessly and works mint. The xx1 dt from my nomad went on my surly instigator 2.0 and the pully touches the cassette even at the smallest cog on the cassette. I’ve sized the chain (very simple on a hardtail) and set cable tension. I even took it to a shop yesterday and they tried to use a longer than stock b tension screw. No luck with this, unlike shimano deraileures, when you extend the screw past it’s intended limit it angles out and misses the stop. A goat ling would be ideal but as far as I can tell from googlewebbing they only make them for shimano mechs. Please help me get my drivetrain out of a plastic bag and back on my bike.

This really shouldn't be an issue on the XX1 derailleur with the b-tension. When you tighten the bolt it presses against a lip that pushes away from a tab that contacts the derailleur hanger. This is an improvement from Shimano's old design that pushed the b-tension screw directly against the derailleur hanger and often failed.

Maybe some pics would help.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
TheBikeKings wrote:
How does one remove the casting plug in a Boxxer RC? I can't find anything online on how to actually remove the plug... (wanting to install charger damper upgrade kit)

Find a socket that will fit the opening on the lower leg and GENTLY tap it until it comes loose. install charger using instructions.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
The paint is rubbing off on non driveside upper of my boxxer, can I replace just one side of the uppers? and do I need to replace the seals as well?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 10:47 Quote
PivotPoint1 wrote:
The paint is rubbing off on non driveside upper of my boxxer, can I replace just one side of the uppers? and do I need to replace the seals as well?

You mean the stanchion tube? You can buy new stanchion tubes. Shouldn't have to do the seal unless that's where the wear is.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 11:08 Quote
PivotPoint1 wrote:
Pictures will help, it could be bushing wear depending on where on the stanchion it is.
Seals rarely cause damage on stanchions.
It is possible too that the fork has been fitted slightly twisted leading to the wear...

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
Hey, just looking for some advice about my new bike i have just purchased! I got the 2018 Trek Slash 9.7, it’s never been ridden on the trails yet just has sat in my basement. But when compressing the rear shock it makes a sound like there’s dirt in inside of it which creates quite an awful sound. But after around 10 compressions in a row the sound seems to fade, than when left untouched it will do it all over again. It’s a pretty concerning sounds. Could anyone give me some knowledge on what may be happening here?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
My drivetran was going out on my bike so I swapped dt’s with my hardtail. The xt 1x11 went on my nomad effortlessly and works mint. The xx1 dt from my nomad went on my surly instigator 2.0 and the pully touches the cassette even at the smallest cog on the cassette. I’ve sized the chain (very simple on a hardtail) and set cable tension. I even took it to a shop yesterday and they tried to use a longer than stock b tension screw. No luck with this, unlike shimano deraileures, when you extend the screw past it’s intended limit it angles out and misses the stop. A goat ling would be ideal but as far as I can tell from googlewebbing they only make them for shimano mechs. Please help me get my drivetrain out of a plastic bag and back on my bike.

This really shouldn't be an issue on the XX1 derailleur with the b-tension. When you tighten the bolt it presses against a lip that pushes away from a tab that contacts the derailleur hanger. This is an improvement from Shimano's old design that pushed the b-tension screw directly against the derailleur hanger and often failed.

Apparently there is a sram specific hanger for this frame. The one I have is shimano direct mount.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:20 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
seraph wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Apparently there is a sram specific hanger for this frame. The one I have is shimano direct mount.

lol

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
Jake-t-Thompson wrote:
Hey, just looking for some advice about my new bike i have just purchased! I got the 2018 Trek Slash 9.7, it’s never been ridden on the trails yet just has sat in my basement. But when compressing the rear shock it makes a sound like there’s dirt in inside of it which creates quite an awful sound. But after around 10 compressions in a row the sound seems to fade, than when left untouched it will do it all over again. It’s a pretty concerning sounds. Could anyone give me some knowledge on what may be happening here?

Take it back to the bike shop! Warranty might apply.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 20:10 Quote
scjeremy wrote:

Eek

I remember only three dropout options for the Instigator - 135qr, 142x12, and a singlespeed.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 0:31 Quote
kwapik wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Eek

I remember only three dropout options for the Instigator - 135qr, 142x12, and a singlespeed.
My frame only came with this hardware but qbp part #fs2009 seems like what I need to run a sram derailleur.
Instigator 2.0 dropouts.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 0:38 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
kwapik wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Eek

My frame only came with this hardware but qbp part #fs2009 seems like what I need to run a sram derailleur.
Instigator 2.0 dropouts.

That's really interesting. The 142x12 slotted dropout is definitely different plus it has a fender mount. I like that Surly offers these options.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 0:48 Quote
So im in the market for new bars, stem and pedals and found this company called KRSEC. Any one heard of them or tried any of their stuff?
Looks ok, really good prices. Just can't find any reviews.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 3:27 Quote
goytay wrote:
TheBikeKings wrote:
How does one remove the casting plug in a Boxxer RC? I can't find anything online on how to actually remove the plug... (wanting to install charger damper upgrade kit)

Find a socket that will fit the opening on the lower leg and GENTLY tap it until it comes loose. install charger using instructions.

Thanks! Kinda figured that that might just be how it's done. Smile

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if X-fusion vengeance & metric lowers are the same? Or alteast whether vengeance lowers could go on metric uppers.

Can't find any detailed manuals online that show the parts. They're the same size stanchion at least, just not sure about the rest of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028126
Mobile Version of Website