Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 4:59 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Brand x all the way, personally the cable and remote are fine for me (remote is a little wonky but soooo much better than the 2x remotes!) if you think their cables are bad then you e clearly never used a cable on a nuke proof Oklo
original cable not that bad, but cheap and kink on some places
with a shimano feels 100.. times better
never tried the Oklo but seems very good Big Grin

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:43 Quote
sosburn wrote:
skeeple wrote:
I Had my bike laying on its side in the car (possibly a little inverted) for a few hours and when I unpacked it to ride I noticed probably a 1 tablespoon or 2 of some sort of oil had leaked out of....something. I figure it wasn't either brake or the dropper as both of those still worked just fine and I'd expect either of those systems missing that much oil would have been dead.

That leads me to think it came from my fork, but I don't know from where or really how big of an issue. It worked just fine for about an hour and half ride. Compression modes worked just fine and it never bottomed out. 130mm Pike rct3 solo air.

How worried should I be?

Maybe try and add some oil to the lowers. Takes like 5 minutes to do.

Update. Trying to re-create the issue, I've let my bike sit up-side down during the workday yesterday. I zip-tied paper towels around both fork uppers - both sides of the crown, and around the brakes. So far no evidence of leaking oil Or decreased performance.

I think I will check/replace the oil in the lowers. Seems like and easy job. 1 Question about reassembly: I don't have a torque wrench so when tightening the bolts on the bottom is it possible to overtighten? seems like a potential problem as the rebound adjuster is attached to the damper side?

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:48 Quote
Just put them on, there are no rules, only consequences! Many bike that were not intended to have DC have had Dc forks installed over the years. the old Giant warps and AC bikes for example. the bikes were ridden hard, I only ever saw 2 broken AC frames and both of those were involved in HUGE Impacts with the earthship!!

Ahoytshreads wrote:
Are there any options to put a dual crown fork on the giant regin without breaking it ... I haven’t found any solution so far..

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:51 Quote
skeeple wrote:
sosburn wrote:
skeeple wrote:
I Had my bike laying on its side in the car (possibly a little inverted) for a few hours and when I unpacked it to ride I noticed probably a 1 tablespoon or 2 of some sort of oil had leaked out of....something. I figure it wasn't either brake or the dropper as both of those still worked just fine and I'd expect either of those systems missing that much oil would have been dead.

That leads me to think it came from my fork, but I don't know from where or really how big of an issue. It worked just fine for about an hour and half ride. Compression modes worked just fine and it never bottomed out. 130mm Pike rct3 solo air.

How worried should I be?

Maybe try and add some oil to the lowers. Takes like 5 minutes to do.

Update. Trying to re-create the issue, I've let my bike sit up-side down during the workday yesterday. I zip-tied paper towels around both fork uppers - both sides of the crown, and around the brakes. So far no evidence of leaking oil Or decreased performance.

I think I will check/replace the oil in the lowers. Seems like and easy job. 1 Question about reassembly: I don't have a torque wrench so when tightening the bolts on the bottom is it possible to overtighten? seems like a potential problem as the rebound adjuster is attached to the damper side?

just nip up the footnuts with new crush washers, do not overtighten them, if you notice a leak after a test give it another 1/4 turn, overtightening is easy to do so go easy.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
Just put them on, there are no rules, only consequences! Many bike that were not intended to have DC have had Dc forks installed over the years. the old Giant warps and AC bikes for example. the bikes were ridden hard, I only ever saw 2 broken AC frames and both of those were involved in HUGE Impacts with the earthship!!

Ahoytshreads wrote:
Are there any options to put a dual crown fork on the giant regin without breaking it ... I haven’t found any solution so far..

That was shitty advice from lifted-d. Best option would be to get a fork and lower it down to 170mm to keep your head angle relatively the ame

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
'Shitty advice' perhaps in your opinion, however with more time working in mtb shops in the in the interior of BC under my belt than you have even been on this planet. I have seen not quite Everything. If this this guy is original owner with receipt, he would still have crash replacement policy as a fall back. If he is a second owner there is no warranty anyways.
regardless i would not fear for his safety. regular critical bike inspections would become more frequent depending on the riding he is doing. bearings and links would be a bigger problem imo

the real question with all the great big mtn single crowns out there is why?

radatabs wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

Ahoytshreads wrote:

That was shitty advice from lifted-d. Best option would be to get a fork and lower it down to 170mm to keep your head angle relatively the ame

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 9:47 Quote
radatabs wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

Ahoytshreads wrote:

Fork travel and axle to crown is only a minor aspect of the safety equation when you are talking about dual crown forks on frames not designed for them. This biggest risk to safety is the fork / bumper contacting the frame and the stress that creates, as the frame was never designed with these loads in mind...

so shitty advise all around I guess.

My opinion, Run what ya brung.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 10:29 Quote
Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix 2.35 (SuperGravity and DH casing options) - do they measure the same width as the previous DH/SG 2.35 MM's? As in the MM 2.35 is close to a Minion 2.5?

DH rims are 26 id so I don't want to go any wider than that, worried the 2.6 MM's will be massive unless Schwalbe has changed their measuring.

Thanks

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:19 Quote
The other thing about a DC crown on a bike is the stiffness, a DH bike is made with a burly headtube as a lot of stress goes through it, whereas a SC will flex and absorb a lot more stress

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:34 Quote
A dual crown transfers more stress into the headtube top tube area that a single crown does not. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but it may not be advisable. The mfr should be able to tell you how bad of an idea it is. It also depends on level of abuse.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:56 Quote
Its not like I just said exactly that at all..

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:

Paraphrasing and restating what was already said is an excellent way to ensure knowledge retention Wink

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:

Paraphrasing and restating what was already said is an excellent way to ensure knowledge retention Wink

Also chucking words around and reshaping sentences already construed is a phenomenal method of securing the longevity of comprehension.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
Xfusion hilo 125 dropper post, can some one tell me exactly what parts is the ucup gland? Been told it could be scratched on the inside causing oil to leak out. Would the rebuild kit come with this?

Posted: May 25, 2018 at 14:45 Quote
how do i switch my shimano ispec front derailleur back to 2 gears. i dont see a switch to make it go from 3 to 2.

thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022600
Mobile Version of Website