Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 27, 2018 at 18:03 Quote
jakecoyes wrote:
So I have a 2014 RM Flow Pro dirt jumper with a 2014 Manituo Circus Expert that came with the bike. Recently the headset has been coming loose quite frequently. I've tried tightening the top end, greasing the bearings and even throwing new bearings in. No matter what i try thought the headset keeps coming loose. Looking for recommendations of what to try next.
from what you're saying it seems that your star nut keeps sliding up the fork steerer.

Posted: May 27, 2018 at 18:11 Quote
the stem may be creeping/walking up the steerer tube, if possible try to set it up so the steerer tube is a couple of mm above the top of the stem and use a spacer under the top cap, some carbon grip paste may help as well,

Posted: May 27, 2018 at 23:18 Quote
I need a replacement for the Rocky Mountain Spirt Guide chain guide that bolts into the chainstay. I couldn't find what type of mounting its called as i'm pretty sure it isn't ISCG 05. If anyone knows a good replacement or what they are called please let me now

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 3:22 Quote
harveymurphy199 wrote:
I need a replacement for the Rocky Mountain Spirt Guide chain guide that bolts into the chainstay. I couldn't find what type of mounting its called as i'm pretty sure it isn't ISCG 05. If anyone knows a good replacement or what they are called please let me now

Maybe this might help.
https://www.7blaner.no/avdelinger/sykkel/rammer/lagere-og-reservedeler/rocky-mountain-spirit-guide-chainguide-for-2018-rocky-slayer-2017-237050-p0000691743

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 8:21 Quote
jakecoyes wrote:
So I have a 2014 RM Flow Pro dirt jumper with a 2014 Manituo Circus Expert that came with the bike. Recently the headset has been coming loose quite frequently. I've tried tightening the top end, greasing the bearings and even throwing new bearings in. No matter what i try thought the headset keeps coming loose. Looking for recommendations of what to try next.

what type of headset is it? do you have a small space between the top of stem (bottom of preload cap) and the top of steerer tube (inside the stem clamp area)

is the steerer tube moving in the fork crown?

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
hairy-g wrote:
samael wrote:
hairy-g wrote:

I went from a 32t Shimano SLX to Hope 28t and didn't remove any. I believe it's a 116L chain if it helps

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight and see how slack it gets.
It's generally just trial and error really but i've not had any problems.

Yup, the chain had to be shortened, so no big deal. Works slick as snot now. Thanks for the input.

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
jakecoyes wrote:

what type of headset is it? do you have a small space between the top of stem (bottom of preload cap) and the top of steerer tube (inside the stem clamp area)

is the steerer tube moving in the fork crown?

It's an FSA Orbit 36 42mm. No gap

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 11:27 Quote
my GX eagle derailleur has this issue where the chain gets stuck between the cage and the first pulley when backpedaling. Ive adjusted the limit screws to try and tweak it but its still happening. any suggestions?

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 12:01 Quote
sosburn wrote:
my GX eagle derailleur has this issue where the chain gets stuck between the cage and the first pulley when backpedaling. Ive adjusted the limit screws to try and tweak it but its still happening. any suggestions?
Don't backpedal

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
hairy-g wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Don't backpedal
Expensive coaster brake?

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 12:21 Quote
So, I'm disliking 1x drivetrains more and more by the day. How many flippin' standards do they need.

102mm bcd
104mm bcd
110mm bcd
96mm bcd
94mm bcd
88mm bcd
80mm bcd
76mm bcd
64mm bcd

Then there's the various splined versions. I'm looking for a ring for non-threaded 76mm bcd spider. This is the Microdrive crank Rocky Mountain uses on a number of their bikes, including the Reaper. It uses the standard 2 piece bolt setup to attach the ring and different bolt spacing than the threaded 76mm bcd used on SRAM XX1. I looked at SRAM, Blackspire, Wolf Tooth, Race Face and anything else I could find and the ONLY possibility I could find was this from Chaun Wei, which has basically no information about it. I have to measure the spacing against the existing ring to see if it's the same.

http://www.chainway.com/eng_product_detail.asp?Fid=F000002&Sid=S000040&Iid=I000082&Pid=201405160002

Way to go Rocky, for using a crank standard pretty much no one on the planet seems to make rings for.

Anyone have any idea where I might get rings for this. I want to reduce my son from a 28t to a 26t, though at this point I'm thinking it'll be easier to use a range extender on the cassette. Madder

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
has anyone experienced any issues with the fork steerer tube where they are mounted to the fork crown?

At first I thought it was the usual headset creak but after, replacing the bearings, re greasing and even fitting a headlock it was still creaking and cracking so I removed the forks again and if holding the legs in one hand and the steerer tube in another you can apply pressure and make them creak..

These are manitou mattoc pro forks if anyone has any suggestions it would be great thank you

O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
hairy-g wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Don't backpedal

RIP my dream of doing crank flips

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 13:34 Quote
sosburn wrote:
hairy-g wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Don't backpedal

RIP my dream of doing crank flips

My wife's 1x11 LX skips gears when you back pedal if you're any real distance from center, otherwise it works fine. Growing pains of a new technology. It doesn't always work perfectly.

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
samael wrote:
So, I'm disliking 1x drivetrains more and more by the day. How many flippin' standards do they need.

102mm bcd
104mm bcd
110mm bcd
96mm bcd
94mm bcd
88mm bcd
80mm bcd
76mm bcd
64mm bcd

Then there's the various splined versions. I'm looking for a ring for non-threaded 76mm bcd spider. This is the Microdrive crank Rocky Mountain uses on a number of their bikes, including the Reaper. It uses the standard 2 piece bolt setup to attach the ring and different bolt spacing than the threaded 76mm bcd used on SRAM XX1. I looked at SRAM, Blackspire, Wolf Tooth, Race Face and anything else I could find and the ONLY possibility I could find was this from Chaun Wei, which has basically no information about it. I have to measure the spacing against the existing ring to see if it's the same.

http://www.chainway.com/eng_product_detail.asp?Fid=F000002&Sid=S000040&Iid=I000082&Pid=201405160002

Way to go Rocky, for using a crank standard pretty much no one on the planet seems to make rings for.

Anyone have any idea where I might get rings for this. I want to reduce my son from a 28t to a 26t, though at this point I'm thinking it'll be easier to use a range extender on the cassette. Madder

Get a cheap GX or Stylo aluminum crank so you can use a GXP DM chain rings. Problem solved.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.065812
Mobile Version of Website