Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 15:46 Quote
Well, you've got me..Other than the fork, or the hub, I'm out of ideas..Hopefully someone with more know how can help you out.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 16:03 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Well, you've got me..Other than the fork, or the hub, I'm out of ideas..Hopefully someone with more know how can help you out.

Thanks! That's why this thread is alive

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 16:50 Quote
Copac wrote:

The frame i have is a BMC fourstroke FS01 (2012) and the issue i am having is with the cable run and setup for the rear derailleur. Basically i am use to having a cable clamp or sleeve stop (depending on your terminology) for the rear cable to clamp into which obviously stops the cable moving up and down the frame and thus works the gears. This frame doesn't appear to have a cable stop and it definitely isn't a internally run cable, so how do i clamp the cable to make the gears work?

Use one continuous piece of housing. Based on some pictures of the bike, the cable runs through the chainstay, and is partly internal.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 17:48 Quote
AndriyR wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
AndriyR wrote:
I recently bought pre-owned Ohlins RXF36 160mm fork to replace Reba RL on my 17 Stumpjumper. When I swapped the fork, I couldn't put the front wheel into dropouts (both boost spacing). The reason was in the caps on the hub ends. After removing those, the wheel went in. Took it for a short ride around block and noticed some cracking noise from headset/fork. Is it possible that I bough a broken fork? It doesn't feel as stiff as it was described in reviews. I tried to hold the front wheel between my knees and twist the bar side to side and noticed it playing.

Did you install the crown race from your Reba on to the Olins fork..?

That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only vone compression dial, LSC I guess.

You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature

Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 18:51 Quote
gcmartini wrote:
Copac wrote:

The frame i have is a BMC fourstroke FS01 (2012) and the issue i am having is with the cable run and setup for the rear derailleur. Basically i am use to having a cable clamp or sleeve stop (depending on your terminology) for the rear cable to clamp into which obviously stops the cable moving up and down the frame and thus works the gears. This frame doesn't appear to have a cable stop and it definitely isn't a internally run cable, so how do i clamp the cable to make the gears work?

Use one continuous piece of housing. Based on some pictures of the bike, the cable runs through the chainstay, and is partly internal.


Found this pic already on PB for reference.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
bigquotes
bigquotes
freestyIAM wrote:
AndriyR wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:


Did you install the crown race from your Reba on to the Olins fork..?

That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only vone compression dial, LSC I guess.

You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature

Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/16105982/

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/16105981/

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 20:36 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
AndriyR wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:


Did you install the crown race from your Reba on to the Olins fork..?

That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only vone compression dial, LSC I guess.

You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature


Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

That's not the issue. The Ohlins RXF36 doesn't have the integral crown race. Only the RXF34 has this feature.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 20:43 Quote
kwapik wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
AndriyR wrote:


That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only vone compression dial, LSC I guess.

You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature


Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

That's not the issue. The Ohlins RXF36 doesn't have the integral crown race. Only the RXF34 has this feature.

Quick search in BuySell shows RXF36 with regular crown and unicrown. Previous owner told me, that he kept his crown race with the bike.
As I mentioned above, mine doesn't have HSC adjustment, only LSC.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 23:32 Quote
AndriyR wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
AndriyR wrote:


That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only one compression dial, LSC I guess.

O.K...have to ask, did you snug up the fork by tightening the top cap before you tightened up the stem..? Otherwise it would be almost impossible to get the forks completely seated in the frame..

Sure I did, there is no play in the headset when I press the front brake and try to move the bar back and forth. My main fear is that the fork could be crashed and it's not as stiff torsionally as it should be

You said you removed the end capse from the front hub, that will f*ck it all up.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 1:21 Quote
kwapik wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
AndriyR wrote:


That what looks weird, the steerer tube is pressed into crown, so I had to install the crown race. Also, it comes with only vone compression dial, LSC I guess.

You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature


Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

That's not the issue. The Ohlins RXF36 doesn't have the integral crown race. Only the RXF34 has this feature.

Nope 1st gen Öhlins rxf36 has the integral crown race.

I know this because my Öhlins rxf36 coil has it

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:54 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
AndriyR wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:


O.K...have to ask, did you snug up the fork by tightening the top cap before you tightened up the stem..? Otherwise it would be almost impossible to get the forks completely seated in the frame..

Sure I did, there is no play in the headset when I press the front brake and try to move the bar back and forth. My main fear is that the fork could be crashed and it's not as stiff torsionally as it should be

You said you removed the end capse from the front hub, that will f*ck it all up.

End cups tend to be torque caps for Rock Shox that I previously had and Ohlins is not compatible with these. I couldn't fit the hub in the dropouts with those caps.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
How the f*ck do you wrestle a minion on to a carbon rim. Asking for tips

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:54 Quote
jimmytrost wrote:
How the f*ck do you wrestle a minion on to a carbon rim. Asking for tips

Step 1: seat most of the tire
step 2: add sealant
step 3: spray some soapy water on the last bit you have to get in
step 4: take out your peen and smack the tire with it. the tire gets scared into submission and mounts itself. works every time.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:41 Quote
dagzin wrote:
kwapik wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:


You shouldn't need to install a race as they feature


Forged uni-crown with tapered steerer tube and "raceless" headset integration

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/hlins/RXF-34,16821#product-reviews/2602

Your having installed a race is prob the issue.

That's not the issue. The Ohlins RXF36 doesn't have the integral crown race. Only the RXF34 has this feature.

Nope 1st gen Öhlins rxf36 has the integral crown race.

I know this because my Öhlins rxf36 coil has it

So it looks like the OEMs RFX forks (34s and 36s) that were specced on Spesh bikes didn't have the unicrown and raceless design and had less adjustability (No HSC, only LSC and LSR). Did you know your fork was a Spesh OEM take off? Either way, those pic definitely show that it doesn't have an integrated crown race so my bad.

Next suspect is the hub caps. I know you took off the end caps on your wheel that were meant for the Boost fork but you may need to get different smaller end caps for non-boost forks.

What hub is it? Does it giggle around in the drop outs?

How about the headset? Have you pulled the bearings out and checked that they aren't shot/dirty?

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
dagzin wrote:
kwapik wrote:


That's not the issue. The Ohlins RXF36 doesn't have the integral crown race. Only the RXF34 has this feature.

Nope 1st gen Öhlins rxf36 has the integral crown race.

I know this because my Öhlins rxf36 coil has it

So it looks like the OEMs RFX forks (34s and 36s) that were specced on Spesh bikes didn't have the unicrown and raceless design (did you know your fork was a Spesh take off?). Either way, those pic definitely show that it doesn't have an integrated crown race so my bad.

Next suspect is the hub caps. I know you took off the end caps on your wheel that were meant for the Boost fork but you may need to get different smaller end caps for non-boost forks.

What hub is it? Does it giggle around in the drop outs?

How about the headset? Have you pulled the bearings out and checked that they aren't shot?

That's good point.
Fork came off '18 Enduro, so it's Spesh OEM.
I have a regular Roval Traverse 29 with j spokes. I wasn't able to ride the bike since I put the fork, but will check how the hub sits in the dropouts and double-check the headset bearings.
I have another wheelset on my HT with boost spacing, will measure the diameter on both and see how it looks.
Thanks a lot!


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030416
Mobile Version of Website