Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 11:36 Quote
MrRemedy wrote:
Hi there,

the shock of my Fuel EX 9.8 (fox reaktiv) rattles especially in climb mode. Is someone there with the same issues and what could it cause?

Thanks

pull air can off , there is A washer and oring on the damper shaft between the bearing assembly and eyelet , this has either moved or doesn't have enough grease to hold it in place

put some heavy grease on the oring and slide it all the way up and the rattle should disappear , remember to add new float fluid

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 11:37 Quote
dingus wrote:
Just stuck a new 170mm debonair air spring in my lyrik and when I pumped it up it had 190mm of travel. After compressing it a few times the air chambers equalised and it dropped to 170mm. Is this normal? I checked the air shaft and rebound rod were seated properly in the lowers and they were.

yes the negative sucks it down a bit as it equalizes with the positive pressure

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 21:44 Quote
seraph wrote:
Felco makes the best cable cutters on the market. No contest. Often imitated, never duplicated.
photo

Felco C7s are really good, but so are Knipex. Such clean cuts time after time. Plus I like the crimper better.

photo

You are right about Felco being often imitated. I think I've seen 10 different copies on the market. Even Pedro's has a copy of the C7.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 3:42 Quote
Hello

I need help to research whether a Kona Satori with Manitou mattoc can fit an angle set.

Any advice?

The frame has a FSA No 57E headset, fork is 1,5 taper steerer.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 3:50 Quote
have a look at https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/ they might have something suitable

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 8:37 Quote
thova wrote:
Hello

I need help to research whether a Kona Satori with Manitou mattoc can fit an angle set.

Any advice?

Thanks

If it's an IS42/IS52 headset which I believe is what the FSA 57 headset is - unfortunately there is no angleset that will work.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
MrRemedy wrote:
Hey ajax-ripper,

sounds like shock service via FOX warranty...hmmm
This is usually the case

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 10:51 Quote
Hey I’m fixing to buy my first dual crown fork, would anyone be interested in PMing to help me, I might have some questions for the installation

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 13:50 Quote
kwapik wrote:
thova wrote:
Hello

Any advice?

Thanks

If it's an IS42/IS52 headset which I believe is what the FSA 57 headset is - unfortunately there is no angleset that will work.

Is the fork (1,5 taper) or the frame the problem?

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 14:14 Quote
I want to buy a fork off the buysell and want to test and make sure everything is in good condition and working, but i cant mount it to my bike in some parking lot. what are some good ways to check that everything is smooth with the fork

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 14:28 Quote
Place in a vice and check the internals OR buy new for peace of mind!

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 14:35 Quote
apart from obvious visual inspection

let the air out, slide it through the travel and feel for roughness or play,
twiddle all the knobs to each end and the middle and check the effect in each setting,
pump up and repeat

ask a few questions about it and its service history and if you smell a rat be ready to walk away..

...or trust its not a dud hope for the best.

if you buy it give it a service straight away.

good luck

oh, dont forget to check the axle and threads/ bolts are OK

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 14:56 Quote
How do I go about adjusting the crowns on a dual crown without scratching stanchions

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 15:11 Quote
Cdmc2002 wrote:
How do I go about adjusting the crowns on a dual crown without scratching stanchions

Loosen the pinch bolts, wipe each stanchion to remove any particles that could cause a scratch, then slide slowly. Could add a drop of oil to the upper side of the crown where it meets the stanchion if you’re that worried

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
Ok so should I adjust it to where the tops of the stanchions Line up with the top crown or leave the bottom crown where it is and just let the stanchions poke up through the holes next the crown with however much length is leftover

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025516
Mobile Version of Website