Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 8:08 Quote
DylanSJPerez wrote:
Muc-Off Bio Grease - I've just bought some but I've noticed that there seems to be 2 different ones with different consistencies;

My one is pink, not clear and has little shiny particles in it, but the other one I saw is pink clear with no particles in it... What's the difference?!

The opaque stuff with particles is the newest formulation. That's what they've been sending my team so I assume they made a running change to it. The clear stuff is probably the older type.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
Will a 2018 fox float 34 fork fit on my 2015 YT capra pro frame?

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
I bought some brand new guide brakes in the buy and sell. Rear brake didn't have the hose installed and was missing the olive and barb. I don't have a bleeding edge bleed kit so took it the shop. They can't get any fluid to pass through the lever. They have to take apart the lever to figure out what's going on. He said he thinks the previous owner may have tried to install the olive and barb themselves but when they went to bleed the brake, the barb may have gotten pushed into the master cylinder because the barb wasn't installed correctly. Does that make any sense? Any ideas what it could be? I really hope I don't need a new lever.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I bought some brand new guide brakes in the buy and sell. Rear brake didn't have the hose installed and was missing the olive and barb. I don't have a bleeding edge bleed kit so took it the shop. They can't get any fluid to pass through the lever. They have to take apart the lever to figure out what's going on. He said he thinks the previous owner may have tried to install the olive and barb themselves but when they went to bleed the brake, the barb may have gotten pushed into the master cylinder because the barb wasn't installed correctly. Does that make any sense? Any ideas what it could be? I really hope I don't need a new lever.
Happens all the time. People install the stealth olive backwards

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 15:59 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Happens all the time. People install the stealth olive backwards

Thank you! Relieved a lot of stress lol. I was worried I need a new lever.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 17:41 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Just ordered a Stans Flow S1 wheel and after ~40 miles the spokes seem loose. Wheel is still tru but does this seem normal? I’m hesitant to tighten them as my last wheel needed to be replaced due to overtightened spokes (granted the wheel was about 4 yrs old at that point).

In my experience, spokes on stans sets, particularly flows and crests tend to loosen up quite quickly and need more attention after riding for the first few months. You can always bring them to a bike shop with a wheelbuilder who knows how to true&tension the wheel properly, check on spoke prep, etc. if you're worried about it.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 20:05 Quote
So, before I ruin something, thought I'd make sure I'm not being stupid.

I've got a 250x70 Super Deluxe. The bike I'm working with can also be specced with a 250x75. On the shock stanchion, the 70mm stroke is marked at the bottom out, with 5mm left unused on the stanchion:

photo

Inside the shock is a spacer that is 5mm thick.....

photo
photo

So it seems like this spacer is basically a stroke limiter. So.....if I remove it, that should get me a 200x75 shock, yeah?

Also, what's the best way to get it off? I'd be happy to cut it out, but there are metal washer on each side and if I try to cut through it there's like a 4728% chance I'll scratch a sealing surface and ruin the shock.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 20:22 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
So, before I ruin something, thought I'd make sure I'm not being stupid.

I've got a 250x70 Super Deluxe. The bike I'm working with can also be specced with a 250x75. On the shock stanchion, the 70mm stroke is marked at the bottom out, with 5mm left unused on the stanchion:

[snip]

Inside the shock is a spacer that is 5mm thick.....

[vascectimy]
[snip]

So it seems like this spacer is basically a stroke limiter. So.....if I remove it, that should get me a 200x75 shock, yeah?

Also, what's the best way to get it off? I'd be happy to cut it out, but there are metal washer on each side and if I try to cut through it there's like a 4728% chance I'll scratch a sealing surface and ruin the shock.
Would require complete disassembly of the shock, Also possible that the damper stops mechanically before the 75mm mark as well.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
AaronLeeRoss wrote:

Yeah, it will fit for sure. I mean as long as the steering tube is long enough.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 20:56 Quote
kwapik wrote:
AaronLeeRoss wrote:

Will fit if:
Steer tube length is equal to or greater then what you have
Hub spacing is the same
Fork is designed for the same wheel size as your bike.

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 21:01 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
kwapik wrote:
AaronLeeRoss wrote:

Will fit if:
Hub spacing is the same

Yeah, what ajax-ripper said :-)

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 21:46 Quote
kwapik wrote:
AaronLeeRoss wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 21:46 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
kwapik wrote:
AaronLeeRoss wrote:

Will fit if:
Hub spacing is the same

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 23:22 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Just ordered a Stans Flow S1 wheel and after ~40 miles the spokes seem loose. Wheel is still tru but does this seem normal? I’m hesitant to tighten them as my last wheel needed to be replaced due to overtightened spokes (granted the wheel was about 4 yrs old at that point).

In my experience, spokes on stans sets, particularly flows and crests tend to loosen up quite quickly and need more attention after riding for the first few months. You can always bring them to a bike shop with a wheelbuilder who knows how to true&tension the wheel properly, check on spoke prep, etc. if you're worried about it.

Is this true just for the Stans, or does the same thing happen with Spank wheel sets..?

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 0:09 Quote
Depends on how well they've been pre'tensioned. I've had wheels that I've never had to touch an then some that need two or three tensions as the spokes bed in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023004
Mobile Version of Website