Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
radatabs wrote:
HVrider wrote:
I done something silly, and used red loctite a while ago on the linkage bolts on my frame (meta v4). Do I risk damaging something by using big leverage to get the bolts out?

The bolts and the threads in the frame, but normally the bolt head would snap before it strips your frames threads. Try some different stuff, such as Acetone, the Loctite remover or your standard sprays

If you want a no risk solution, get that Red Loctite off. As per above comment, you can use a chemical solution maybe if it can penetrate. Otherwise, I've had really good results removing red loctite with a heat gun. Doesn't take but 5 mins and it will melt off in my experience. As for your question, i would say yes, you risk breaking something.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
My derailleur is having an interesting issue. Is shifts fine up the cassette but, when coming back down it has a problem. The derailleur cage isn’t moving to compensate for the extra chain in the bottom cogs. So there is a bunch of chain slack. But, I can move the cage by hand to the position it’s supposed to be in without much force. So I’m woundering why the derailleur wouldn’t be moving to pick up the tension on its own.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 12:34 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
My derailleur is having an interesting issue. Is shifts fine up the cassette but, when coming back down it has a problem. The derailleur cage isn’t moving to compensate for the extra chain in the bottom cogs. So there is a bunch of chain slack. But, I can move the cage by hand to the position it’s supposed to be in without much force. So I’m woundering why the derailleur wouldn’t be moving to pick up the tension on its own.

there is resistance in your cable housing. take the cable off the derailleur and shift all the way up/down a few times and add some grease to make things smooth. if it doesn't work, buy a new cable/housing set.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
bike2850 wrote:

there is resistance in your cable housing. take the cable off the derailleur and shift all the way up/down a few times and add some grease to make things smooth. if it doesn't work, buy a new cable/housing set.
Just buy a new cable and housing assembly. It will save you lots of time.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 13:16 Quote
there is a spring behind the cage, it often has 2 possible mounting points to adjust the tension on the chain.

if the cage has been removed it needs to be rotated on asssembly so it is under tension,

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 14:42 Quote
bike2850 wrote:

Sounds like you’re having a similar problem to one I had a few weeks ago. Depending on the derailleur you have (this happened to me on a Shimano XT M8000), i’d say your problem is a sticky clutch

Dissemble the clutch completely, clean and re-grease. This should solve your problem

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:

If you want a no risk solution, get that Red Loctite off. As per above comment, you can use a chemical solution maybe if it can penetrate. Otherwise, I've had really good results removing red loctite with a heat gun. Doesn't take but 5 mins and it will melt off in my experience. As for your question, i would say yes, you risk breaking something.

radatabs wrote:
The bolts and the threads in the frame, but normally the bolt head would snap before it strips your frames threads. Try some different stuff, such as Acetone, the Loctite remover or your standard sprays

Great, thanks for your replys. I'll try the solvents first. Thx

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
To clean and regresse a Shimano clutch do I need a special grease or would some park tool green stuff work fine?

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
I've got Mavic Crossmax XL Pro Ltd 27.5" wheels and the rear driveside spoke is slightly bent, I for the life of me cannot find a replacement, bike shops can't do anything and I'm not finding a thing online, does anyone have a clue where in the world I can find a replacement spoke???

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
DylanSJPerez wrote:
I've got Mavic Crossmax XL Pro Ltd 27.5" wheels and the rear driveside spoke is slightly bent, I for the life of me cannot find a replacement, bike shops can't do anything and I'm not finding a thing online, does anyone have a clue where in the world I can find a replacement spoke???

https://georgehallscycles.co.uk/epages/726cf202-99f3-48ca-823d-63e916b367ab.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/726cf202-99f3-48ca-823d-63e916b367ab/Products/4642

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 12:27 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
To clean and regresse a Shimano clutch do I need a special grease or would some park tool green stuff work fine?
Don't use that. Instead use something light like phil's oil or shimano internal hub grease.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 13:13 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
DylanSJPerez wrote:

https://georgehallscycles.co.uk/epages/726cf202-99f3-48ca-823d-63e916b367ab.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/726cf202-99f3-48ca-823d-63e916b367ab/Products/4642

Thank you so much!

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 18:12 Quote
Just ordered a Stans Flow S1 wheel and after ~40 miles the spokes seem loose. Wheel is still tru but does this seem normal? I’m hesitant to tighten them as my last wheel needed to be replaced due to overtightened spokes (granted the wheel was about 4 yrs old at that point).

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 19:07 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Just ordered a Stans Flow S1 wheel and after ~40 miles the spokes seem loose. Wheel is still tru but does this seem normal? I’m hesitant to tighten them as my last wheel needed to be replaced due to overtightened spokes (granted the wheel was about 4 yrs old at that point).

Check the tension or have your lbs/wheelbuilder check the tension.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 22:35 Quote
new wheels need tensioning after a while as the spokes bed in to the hub flange, not unusual

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022353
Mobile Version of Website