Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 9:51 Quote
Question for anyone in a Specialized shop. Has anybody had a chance to weigh a Stumpjumper Evo yet? Really wondering where it's at in comparison to other aluminum 29" bikes.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
34.5÷25.4=1.36, so internal diameter should be fine. Measure the available room for a spring length and go with the longer one if possible, if not the other should be fine. Also consider outside diameter of the spring if you have a piggy back shock.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Question for anyone in a Specialized shop. Has anybody had a chance to weigh a Stumpjumper Evo yet? Really wondering where it's at in comparison to other aluminum 29" bikes.

I was looking at picking one up, can't remember where I found the info but base models for the regular was 34, higher teirs getting down to 31ish.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 14:37 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:
How do I test those?

Use a der alignment gauge to check if see hanger is aligned. If not then align. Then after remounting der and going through der setup (1st limit screw adjustment, then cablr tension adjustment then b screw adjustment) if the system still wont shift well, or if the der looks like its not in line with cassette cogs, rhen the der itself is probably bent.

To check the chain for a bent do a link by link visual check as well as movement check of each. If a link looks fouled or dont move freely, replace it. If it's been a bit since your last chain replacement, consider a brand new chain.

Good luck

sosburn wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:
How do I test those?

depending on your derailleur, i would just buy a new one. I had the same thing happen and couldn't get the thing to shift properly no matter what afterwards. you can have a shop test hanger alignment, it takes like 5 minutes tops.

Thanks chaps. Looking at the mech it is obviously bent. I had put a fresh hanger on, as the bolts sheared in the old one, but the pulleys are still way out of line. New XT rear mech (and hanger to replace the one I used) incoming.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 14:56 Quote
How do you fellow mechanics feel about a boost rear hub in a 150mm downhill frame with steel rear triangle? I had to use a 2mm disc spacer.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 15:11 Quote

The brake is sounding like death. No idea what’s causing this.

TRP slate T4

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 15:22 Quote
philip92 wrote:
How do you fellow mechanics feel about a boost rear hub in a 150mm downhill frame with steel rear triangle? I had to use a 2mm disc spacer.
I'm assuming you're talking about putting a 148 him into his into a 150 frame. While not ideal I don't see why not if you can fiddle around with shims on the axle and disc to make it work.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 21:38 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:

TRP slate T4

Check caliper alignment, clean pads / rotor. rotor bent / untrue.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 14:16 Quote
goytay wrote:
dhmtbr777 wrote:

TRP slate T4

thats the arms of the rotor catching the edge of the pads. Normal but not ideal. trp caliper shimano rotor? that could be the problem.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 15:26 Quote
If I get a new cassette (11 speed) to replace my old one (9 speed) will I need a new hub as well or will everything fit?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 16:32 Quote
Pip321 wrote:
If I get a new cassette (11 speed) to replace my old one (9 speed) will I need a new hub as well or will everything fit?

Thanks

If you’re buying a sram or e13 11-speed cassette you will probably need an XD-driver for your hub. Depending on what hub you have, you might be able to just buy a driver and install it.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 17:10 Quote
nubbs wrote:
goytay wrote:
dhmtbr777 wrote:

TRP slate T4

thats the arms of the rotor catching the edge of the pads. Normal but not ideal. trp caliper shimano rotor? that could be the problem.

That be the situation. I’m going to just ignore it lol. Any reason why when I pedal hard the disk rubs on the pads? It’s a hard tail so it shouldn’t be frame flex. Wheel is seated in the drop out properly too.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 17:25 Quote
Pip321 wrote:

Thanks

You can fit a Sunrace or Shimano 11 speed cassette on the hub you have.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
nubbs wrote:
goytay wrote:

That be the situation. I’m going to just ignore it lol. Any reason why when I pedal hard the disk rubs on the pads? It’s a hard tail so it shouldn’t be frame flex. Wheel is seated in the drop out properly too.

Just your thunder thighs.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 18:54 Quote
Lmaaaooo yeah probably.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041387
Mobile Version of Website