Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 5:45 Quote
arphia wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
I have an aluminum hardtail beater with 135mm.
I'd like to convert it to an E bike for commuting. The Hub drive spacing is 145mm.
Can I spread an AL 135mm to 145mm to make the hub motor fit? Otherwise how the hell do people fit these motors in frames? I've never seens a 145mm spaced rear drop out before.

https://lunacycle.com/double-gear-double-torque-motor/

There are 145mm frames and you can get 135mm electric hubs. Best bet is getting the right hub instead of spreading the frame.

Thanks. I'm a neophyte to the whole world of ebikes. Do you have a recommendation for a 135mm electric hub motor kit?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 21:03 Quote
Hi all,

Quick question - my RockShox Reverb dropper has developed a few mm of play at the top of it's stroke. It just started today out of nowhere an I am not sure why this is happening or how to fix it.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any tips on how to fix it?

Thanks,

G

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 21:09 Quote
Maybe lifted it by the seat? Prob just needs a bleed.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 21:17 Quote
graeme-brown97 wrote:
Hi all,

Quick question - my RockShox Reverb dropper has developed a few mm of play at the top of it's stroke. It just started today out of nowhere an I am not sure why this is happening or how to fix it.

Thanks,

G

How old is it? Has it ever been serviced? It needs a rebuild. Potentailly has the old IFP inside that lacks long term reliability.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 22:13 Quote
graeme-brown97 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

G
I just went through this and was shocked at the price of a rebuild if you send it into a suspension tuning company. (About $150) I found a local bike shop with rebuild kits on hand. They did it for $70 and it was only off my bike for four days. Call around your lbs.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 22:48 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
graeme-brown97 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

G
I just went through this and was shocked at the price of a rebuild if you send it into a suspension tuning company. (About $150) I found a local bike shop with rebuild kits on hand. They did it for $70 and it was only off my bike for four days. Call around your lbs.

That's for labor and the full service kit that they sell you for the service?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 23:20 Quote
nubbs wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
graeme-brown97 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

G

I don’t believe it was a full re build. $40 labor and $30 for a few seals and a couple other parts that were worn.

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 1:32 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
nubbs wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

I don’t believe it was a full re build. $40 labor and $30 for a few seals and a couple other parts that were worn.

Usually when someone brings me a saggy reverb that's about all I do, new IFP/lower sealhead bushing and brass keys. That's about all that really goes bad on them unless someone tries to fix it themselves first...
Unless they specify a full rebuild

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 6:11 Quote
dingus wrote:
Whipperman wrote:
I might get a scott genius that's equipped with a Fox DPS remote (not a Fox nude). I'd like to remove it and I read it's not possible. However when i looked at the exploded view I wondered :
fox dps remote eyelet

Why can't I remove the spring, the cable hanger and the pulley and replace them by a homemade lever ? I will tighten it to the compression cam. The only issue i see is that there won't be any click.

What do you think ?

I did that with a for before and it worked ok.

What did you use as a replacement lever ?

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 14:29 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
dingus wrote:
Whipperman wrote:
I might get a scott genius that's equipped with a Fox DPS remote (not a Fox nude). I'd like to remove it and I read it's not possible. However when i looked at the exploded view I wondered :
fox dps remote eyelet

Why can't I remove the spring, the cable hanger and the pulley and replace them by a homemade lever ? I will tighten it to the compression cam. The only issue i see is that there won't be any click.

What do you think ?

I did that with a for before and it worked ok.

What did you use as a replacement lever ?

I just filed some grooves into the original one, probably not as easy on a shock though.

photo

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 14:05 Quote
Fox DOSS dropper losing air pressure over a couple of days, any suggestions?

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 14:27 Quote
Pump it up regularly

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
Last I heard they’d either rebuild it or send a new one for around $90 retail.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 19:35 Quote
el-booto wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
nubbs wrote:

Usually when someone brings me a saggy reverb that's about all I do, new IFP/lower sealhead bushing and brass keys. That's about all that really goes bad on them unless someone tries to fix it themselves first...
Unless they specify a full rebuild

So you find that the outer sealhead bushing doesnt wear out much over a couple years of use? We almost always do the full kit. or only new ifp and fluids

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 23:52 Quote
Hello everyone,

I have applied for a job as a bike builder at a bike shop (Torpedo 7). Now my application has been quite successful so far and I have been invited for an interview, which went well. Now they have asked me to come in and build a bike as a sort of test.

Now my question is, how disassembled do the bikes arrive, generally what should I expect to have to do in terms of assembling? I am confident in attaching handle bars, tuning gears installing brakes and pads etc. What exactly should I expect to be asked to do? What parts do I need to assemble as a "bike builder"?

Thanks in advance!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024427
Mobile Version of Website