Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
ok sounds like you just need more fluid.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:03 Quote
Can a Profile Elite ss hub be set up as a three speed?

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
On stans 3.30hd hubs I changed from xd driver to shimano freehub but now my cassette will not spin backwards with out moving the axle. When its mounted to the bike and you freewheel backwards the chain drops off the chainring.
Can't seem to figure out what I am missing.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
On stans 3.30hd hubs I changed from xd driver to shimano freehub but now my cassette will not spin backwards with out moving the axle. When its mounted to the bike and you freewheel backwards the chain drops off the chainring.
Can't seem to figure out what I am missing.

Seems like the freehub bearing have something wrong. They may have shifted during assembly.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
Hey Boys,

How bad does this look? A dinner plate sized rock flipped up and got me pretty good. There was a little hair (a fiber perhaps) that pulled out and the impact zone is a a few millimeters deep. It definitely penetrated a few layers. What do you guys think?

This same exact thing happened last summer and the gauge/dent opened up the more i rode it and the frame was toast.

A
A

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
If that's a Santa Cruz I highly recommend these

https://dyedbro.bigcartel.com/category/frame-protectors

As far as the scratch goes, make sure the material around it won't flex inward when pressed on by a finger. The real danger is a crack propagating away from it possibly resulting in a catastrophic failure. If you hear the frame talking to you more when you ride it, that's another symptom. In either case you should probably have it replaced. I think Santa Cruz is pretty eager to replace failed frames for original owners in the event of a crash or impact like that.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Bin it.

Send it to me... lol
I’ll add some more carbon & resin, bodge it up super ugly & strong & then ride the shit outa it! tup

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
that needs a repair at the least. just warranty it.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 21:54 Quote
jibb wrote:

1.) get three cogs
2.) put them on there
3.) get a lock ring
4.) put it on there
5.) profit

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 7:57 Quote
seraph wrote:
jibb wrote:

1.) get three cogs
2.) put them on there
3.) get a lock ring
4.) put it on there
5.) profit

Awesome, wasn’t sure as I thought profile use a different lock ring set up than standard.
Thanks!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
I am considering purchasing a new fork for my 2012 Giant reign, as mine is having problems are parts I need are virtually impossible to find. I found a fork for the right price but it is meant for 27.5 inch wheels, while my bike has 26 inch wheels. Are there any big problems with running this setup if I continue to use the 26 inch front wheel? I have heard there might be problems with the bottom bracket height and head angle changing, but will this be a drastic change or fairly negligible? I can provide any other geometric information people need.
Thanks so much if you're able to help!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
the difference is nothing to worry about.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 14:23 Quote
cameronrobertson wrote:
I am considering purchasing a new fork for my 2012 Giant reign, as mine is having problems are parts I need are virtually impossible to find. I found a fork for the right price but it is meant for 27.5 inch wheels, while my bike has 26 inch wheels. Are there any big problems with running this setup if I continue to use the 26 inch front wheel? I have heard there might be problems with the bottom bracket height and head angle changing, but will this be a drastic change or fairly negligible? I can provide any other geometric information people need.

I rode my process 153 with 26" and there was no problem. You may be able to lower the travel of the fork to bring geo #s back to the way they are with the 26" fork.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
cameronrobertson wrote:

27.5 is closer to 26 than it is to 29. The difference would be negligible at best. Maybe around 12mm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025227
Mobile Version of Website