Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
I’m sure this is a me problem, but what have you guys done about broken derailleur hangers on rare/old frames that don’t have any replacements available. It’s a constant source of anxiety for me, and I was wondering what you guys do?

I’m a machinist but I have no access to a machine to make a new one. I do have lots of people that could make me one, but I don’t want to bug them every time I get a new frame.

For a simple qr hanger all you need is a bandsaw, drill and tap set for threads. You can make it from 1/4" aluminum plate. You can drill holes in one place to make a weak point for breaking.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Hey,
What magura mount do I need? I have a 203mm rotor, and a rear 160 post mount to put the caliper onto.
Would it be qm42 or qm26?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
Hi, I just got a new to me bike from buysell and the rear shock sounds like it wheezes when it goes through its travel. It's a cane creek rear shock. I don't know the model but its this https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16948509/ . Is this a problem or should I just ignore it. If it is a problem would I haft to rebuild it or is there somthing else I should do?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
I've got a quick one. I have a 2014 SRAM GX crank set that I want to put a 30t chain ring on. It has 4 bolts so I figured it would be a 104 bcd, but when I went to throw a 104bcd Race Face narrow wide ring on I found that the bolts where actually further apart than 104mm. Does anyone know what this standard is called and if they make a 30t ring for it? Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
BaGearA wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
Dumb question, how do I get the dust caps off of my Novatec hubs to inspect the bearings..?? Do I use a pick to pop them off.? I don't want to damage them, so that's why I ask..Thanks.

put the tip of your axle in and pry them out , novatechs are quite difficult in my experience and even more dofficult to get back in

so proceed with caution

Hmm...Think Ill just leave it be..Thanks for the info..I'll be getting new wheels soon.

Hey! Did you did the change? I want to change a RS Monarch RC3 210x60 (stock trek slash 8 2015) for a RS Super Deluxe Coil RCT 210x55mm, same eye-to-eye.

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Hey,
What magura mount do I need? I have a 203mm rotor, and a rear 160 post mount to put the caliper onto.
Thanks

You need the qm42 because 160mm pm is same as pm6”. The qm26 is for 180mm or 7” post mounts.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
dagzin wrote:
Hey,
Thanks

You need the qm42 because 160mm pm is same as pm6”. The qm26 is for 180mm or 7” post mounts.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
krattAtak wrote:
Hi, I just got a new to me bike from buysell and the rear shock sounds like it wheezes when it goes through its travel. It's a cane creek rear shock. I don't know the model but its this https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16948509/ . Is this a problem or should I just ignore it. If it is a problem would I haft to rebuild it or is there somthing else I should do?
Thanks

Send video to cane Creek,and see what they think. if it was me i'd send it in for a rebuild.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
My dB coil used to sound funny, like a plunger on a toilet sort of noise, I had it serviced etc, it came back a lot better

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
canman1045 wrote:
I've got a quick one. I have a 2014 SRAM GX crank set that I want to put a 30t chain ring on. It has 4 bolts so I figured it would be a 104 bcd, but when I went to throw a 104bcd Race Face narrow wide ring on I found that the bolts where actually further apart than 104mm. Does anyone know what this standard is called and if they make a 30t ring for it? Thanks in advance!

It is 120mm.
Not sure about the 30t, but I think 34t is minimum.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
I can't get the fork lower leg bolt undone because the coil side rod spins with it inside (rockshox domain rc 2011) i tried knocking it and even made some sort of tool which keeps it in place at the top from where the coil sits in but it still spins in place / my tool didn't have enough grip
It need servucing asap but i can't open it
Thank you Smile

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Dardan1807 wrote:
I can't get the fork lower leg bolt undone because the coil side rod spins with it inside (rockshox domain rc 2011) i tried knocking it and even made some sort of tool which keeps it in place at the top from where the coil sits in but it still spins in place / my tool didn't have enough grip
It need servucing asap but i can't open it
ThankTyou Smile

Try putting the spring and spacers in again, maybe with the extra force the spring gives, it might be enough to seat the spring shaft just enough to allow it the release the bottom bolt.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 17:24 Quote
Hi everyone! so I recently purchased a rocky mountain slayer, and something I'm noticing is that when I take off and land jumps, it feels like something at my feet moves and it feels very uncomfortable. it might be my derailer moving, although I'm not sure how that would make me feel it at my feet. thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
Aquilex wrote:
Hi everyone! so I recently purchased a rocky mountain slayer, and something I'm noticing is that when I take off and land jumps, it feels like something at my feet moves and it feels very uncomfortable. it might be my derailer moving, although I'm not sure how that would make me feel it at my feet. thanks.
is it pedal kickback?

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
goytay wrote:
krattAtak wrote:
Thanks

Send video to cane Creek,and see what they think. if it was me i'd send it in for a rebuild.

Second the rebuild. I had one that did this, eventually progresses into a loud whistling noise if not repaired. Can't imagine it was doing the shock any good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021924
Mobile Version of Website