Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Nobble wrote:
goytay wrote:

The spring side is straight wall, the damper side is taper wall. shop.fluid-function.com/collections/rockshox-fork/products/boxxer-stanchions-black

Cheers
pretty sure you can run two tapered ones on a r2c2 because its coil sprung.
Hmm ok well for now the left side is worn badly, rights got some scrapes like grits in the seals. Will have a better look when they arrive
if the stanchions are that badly worn, the bushings are probably toast. Worn out bushings means worn out lowers, they're generally considered not replaceable. Bad stanchions and lowers mean the fork is basically trash.

Did you just buy this thing? I hate to sound like a dick, but you probably wasted your money.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
seraph wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
Whats the difference between road and MTB saddles?

Each is designed with a different sitting position in mind. MTB is much more upright, while road is more leaned forward.

Then it's probably a bad idea to get another saddle like the one on my road bike for my MTB i take it?

Go with what feels good. all this other stuff is theoretical and marginal when compared to the basic shape of the saddle and whether or not if fits your very unique posterior. If you're really scared that your road saddle won't feel good on your mtb then why not move that saddle from your road bike to your mtb and see whether or not you get along with it? If yes, great, get another one just like it for your mtb. If no, then start looking for a saddle that addresses what ever the issue was you experience on your test rides with your road saddle.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
Nobble wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Nobble wrote:
pretty sure you can run two tapered ones on a r2c2 because its coil sprung.
Hmm ok well for now the left side is worn badly, rights got some scrapes like grits in the seals. Will have a better look when they arrive
if the stanchions are that badly worn, the bushings are probably toast. Worn out bushings means worn out lowers, they're generally considered not replaceable. Bad stanchions and lowers mean the fork is basically trash.

Did you just buy this thing? I hate to sound like a dick, but you probably wasted your money.
yeah I did for £100 but I've forwarded me brand new world cup lowers for £28 with bushes and lower seals pre fitted. It's a fix up job which I don't mind, I can get a right stanchion for £25 but it's the left one I need so if a right one will work I'm happy with that.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
I'm assembling a new bike and the headset is loose even when completely tightened. Any ideas? I know I have the correct headset. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 16:48 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I'm assembling a new bike and the headset is loose even when completely tightened. Any ideas? I know I have the correct headset. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Does the fork have the bearing race installed..?

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Does the fork have the bearing race installed..?

I figured it out. I needed a hair more spacer thickness. Thank you.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 22:45 Quote
Does anyone know if low speed compression adjuster detents can be removed on a Charger 2 and SuperDeluxe?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 2:08 Quote
JPWA wrote:
First time poster here so be gentle. I'm a pretty mechanical guy and have done my own minor bike maintenance over the years. What i've always wondered about it the interchangeability of parts on bikes, is it brand specific, wheel size specific, year built specific? I recently bought a 2016 Specialized Camber 650B that has a lot of nice upgraded components but the frame is pretty beat I was thinking about keeping my eye open for a deal on a frame then swapping over the components but i'm not sure how universal they all are. Will I need to look for a 2016 frame? From Specialized only? Also my bike is an aluminum frame if i were to find a carbon frame from Specialized would it all fit for the most part? Again im at the VERY beginning of my research so if anything sounds uneducated, it is. Thanks in advance I appreciate it.

Standards are great, you can't have too many! Wink

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 4:11 Quote
Hey guys, would like to get a coil shock for my Mondraker Foxy 27.5 2019. The specs on the site are 205 x 62.5mm, but I couldn't find any shock with these dimensions. Do you know what would be compatible and how would affect the geometry?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
pufi wrote:
Hey guys, would like to get a coil shock for my Mondraker Foxy 27.5 2019. The specs on the site are 205 x 62.5mm, but I couldn't find any shock with these dimensions. Do you know what would be compatible and how would affect the geometry?

You could get a 205x60 and remove the 5mm travel spacer and end up with a 206x65 shock. With the 205x65 shock your geometry won't change but you will have about 6-8mm more travel. Or you could just buy a 205x65 shock. As 205xXX is a trunnion size you came just use a standard imperial shock like you can on some bikes.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
Looking at getting some
Wtb tyres for the rear, I'm looking at a new 2.4 trail boss, 2.4 judge and a 2.4 ranger.

Was wondering if anyone runs these tyres, if so how big/small do they come up and what size of id rim are you running them on

Thanks

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
Does tubeless have a weight limit? I'm currently running tubed with my rear at 35psi and my front at 32 and I'm a heavier dude just curious if I can run tubeless

I should also ask what are some cons about tubeless

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Does tubeless have a weight limit? I'm currently running tubed with my rear at 35psi and my front at 32 and I'm a heavier dude just curious if I can run tubeless

How much do you weigh with gear on?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
seraph wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

About 330

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
seraph wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

About 330

And what size tires are you running?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023016
Mobile Version of Website