Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
My 30t chainring on my 11-42 rear cassette is running out of top end speed, I want to put a 32t or even a 34t on it. It is a hardtail so no chain growth and the derailleur sits at about 5pm when on the 42t rear cog. Will I need to add some extra links to the chain?

Depends on the derailleur, some shimano medium and long cage cannot go past 5pm as there is an internal limiter, zee on the other hand can go up to the point it mangles it self in the cogs, been there... Even if your derailleur can handle the bigger chainring with the same length chain your shifting will suffer, so better measure it.

I'm running xt m8000 with no problems. My chain is at about 4pm position.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
Who does aftermarket suspension tuning on Xfusion forks and shocks? Like if i wanted to tune the air spring a la Luftkappe does anyone make air spring tuning items for Xfusion stuff? How about on the damper side?

Thx

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Who does aftermarket suspension tuning on Xfusion forks and shocks? Like if i wanted to tune the air spring a la Luftkappe does anyone make air spring tuning items for Xfusion stuff? How about on the damper side?

Thx
Sorry None that I can find.
Tune the air side with oil volume, shim stack on the shock, you can play around a bit more with the shims on the hlr damper, not so much on the roughcut.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Who does aftermarket suspension tuning on Xfusion forks and shocks? Like if i wanted to tune the air spring a la Luftkappe does anyone make air spring tuning items for Xfusion stuff? How about on the damper side?

Thx

If you don't find anyone who does it, theres loads of info on tuning here.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
Hi guys
I have a set of avid elixir 3 brakes
The levers are on the wrong sides for me
I have been told that if I take the disc out and pump the brake i will be able to take the hoses off and swap them over without losing too much fluid

Is that right?
Or would I need a full re bleed of them??
Thanks

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
liamd-24 wrote:
Hi guys
I have a set of avid elixir 3 brakes
The levers are on the wrong sides for me
I have been told that if I take the disc out and pump the brake i will be able to take the hoses off and swap them over without losing too much fluid

Is that right?
Or would I need a full re bleed of them??
Thanks

Is there a reason you can't just switch the levers to the other side of the bar?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
Noeserd wrote:



Guys come oon No one knows that?

Would it be that hard to send an email to Canyon? Might even be worth asking them to list it on their website

İ asked them 2 weeks ago...
is there any reason you can't just measure it?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
dkidd wrote:
liamd-24 wrote:
Hi guys
I have a set of avid elixir 3 brakes
The levers are on the wrong sides for me
I have been told that if I take the disc out and pump the brake i will be able to take the hoses off and swap them over without losing too much fluid

Is that right?
Or would I need a full re bleed of them??
Thanks

Is there a reason you can't just switch the levers to the other side of the bar?

Should be able to just swap the whole brake side to side using the bar mounts, since they’re designed to be run on either side, unlike shimanos where there’s a defined left and right lever body.

If for some reason you can’t, you can swap/replace lever bodies by unscrewing the hose with the lever body pointing upwards and screw on the new part. When swapping full lever bodies, the most I’ve needed to do was a quick lever bleed, not a full system bleed.

So you shouldn’t have to disconnect anything, and if you do it without making a mess of it, you shouldn’t have to do anything more than a lever bleed in my experience

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 19:47 Quote
talkingspoon wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
My 30t chainring on my 11-42 rear cassette is running out of top end speed, I want to put a 32t or even a 34t on it. It is a hardtail so no chain growth and the derailleur sits at about 5pm when on the 42t rear cog. Will I need to add some extra links to the chain?

Depends on the derailleur, some shimano medium and long cage cannot go past 5pm as there is an internal limiter, zee on the other hand can go up to the point it mangles it self in the cogs, been there... Even if your derailleur can handle the bigger chainring with the same length chain your shifting will suffer, so better measure it.

I'm running xt m8000 with no problems. My chain is at about 4pm position.

Uploading a picture in the big cog that clearly shows the angle of the der and position of the jockey wheel can help here! On a hardtail you might be in luck

Also, if you’ve used that current setup for a while and the chains stretched out, you can mangle a chainring, especially shimano, pretty quickly with a stretched chain on a new ring...

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 22:21 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:


Would it be that hard to send an email to Canyon? Might even be worth asking them to list it on their website

İ asked them 2 weeks ago...
is there any reason you can't just measure it?
Check Cane Creek's Headset Finder

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 23:51 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Check Cane Creek's Headset Finder

Unfortunately, the CC headset finder doesn't have a lot of listings for 2018-2020 bikes.

@Noeserd
As previously mentioned, the quickest way of finding out what you need is to measure it. The headset finder can help you with this.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 1:33 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
dkidd wrote:
liamd-24 wrote:
Hi guys
I have a set of avid elixir 3 brakes
The levers are on the wrong sides for me
I have been told that if I take the disc out and pump the brake i will be able to take the hoses off and swap them over without losing too much fluid

Is that right?
Or would I need a full re bleed of them??
Thanks

Is there a reason you can't just switch the levers to the other side of the bar?

Should be able to just swap the whole brake side to side using the bar mounts, since they’re designed to be run on either side, unlike shimanos where there’s a defined left and right lever body.

If for some reason you can’t, you can swap/replace lever bodies by unscrewing the hose with the lever body pointing upwards and screw on the new part. When swapping full lever bodies, the most I’ve needed to do was a quick lever bleed, not a full system bleed.

So you shouldn’t have to disconnect anything, and if you do it without making a mess of it, you shouldn’t have to do anything more than a lever bleed in my experience

If you disconnect the hose you will have to install a new olive and barb after you trim the hose a bit. Otherwise you risk springing a leak.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Who does aftermarket suspension tuning on Xfusion forks and shocks? Like if i wanted to tune the air spring a la Luftkappe does anyone make air spring tuning items for Xfusion stuff? How about on the damper side?

Thx

Avalanche makes a cartridge. The guy who responded to you didn’t look very hard.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
Hey Guys,

I think I have some tricky issue with my rear wheel.
Its a MTB Mavic Crossride 29 wheelset. For a long time I had no issues with it but now I think the spokes are making some pinging / cracking sound. I have created 2 videos about it:
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/501705/
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/501703/

I have tried to clean and lube with some oil the hub - spoke and the rim - nipple - spoke connections without any luck.
I have loosened and tightened again the spokes two times. Once they ar getting tight this crazy annoying sound can be heard. In the first vid you can hear from the "pinging frequency" that how tight are they. even if I loosen them a bit its still the same.
Any idea? :/

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
Does it make that sound when you’re riding or just when you squeeze a pair of spokes?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022263
Mobile Version of Website