Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 21:11 Quote
I have a few small nicks on my fork stanchion from dropping my bike , should I buff them out and if so with what?

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
slaker wrote:
I have a few small nicks on my fork stanchion from dropping my bike , should I buff them out and if so with what?

Like 4000 grit and then fill what's left with clear nail polish and buff out the high spot ....but tape off the marks so your not sanding the whole stanchion

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 0:46 Quote
riish wrote:
Does it make that sound when you’re riding or just when you squeeze a pair of spokes?

Unfortunately it does during riding. Mostly noticeable uphills, or when pushing hard, or when braking. On the second video it can be sen that what it does when actually moving the bike a bit with pulled rear brake.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 1:06 Quote
slaker wrote:

Get a rasorblade and run it parallel to the stanction left to right NOT up or down, to scrap off the high edges, then use some super clue or nailpolish to fill the scratch let it dry and then give it another pass with the blade to make it flush, I fixed my rear shock that way and it still runs ok after a year with no air leaks,

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
slaker wrote:

GMBN (Tech?) did a detailed video on this on YouTube.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
slaker wrote:

I used a nail buffer that looked kind of like a polishing cloth to repair a kashima shock, which worked really well. Didn't require any clear nail polish, but deeper nicks may need some as filler.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
I have a Super Deluxe DebonAir from my 2019 Kona Process DL 29. I've removed the shock from my frame and if I invert the shock there is a sliding noise followed by a clunk. Any ideas of what it is?

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
YoungGun13 wrote:
I have a Super Deluxe DebonAir from my 2019 Kona Process DL 29. I've removed the shock from my frame and if I invert the shock there is a sliding noise followed by a clunk. Any ideas of what it is?

It's probably the mecanichal negative spring assist thingy.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
YoungGun13 wrote:

Most likely your volume spacers or one of the many other spacers assembled on the shaft of the shock. Only way to know is to remove the air can.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
Seeking brake advise
I replaced Guide brakes with Shimano XT's recently. I have a 203mm rotor (SM-RT76) on the front and rear. I thought the adaptor (SM-MA90-F203P/PM) was the correct one to use for this setup (PM 180) on the rear triangle. I can see that the pad isn't making full contact with the inner boundary of the disk brake surface. I also feel the bite is not as strong as I expect and I can only lock the rear wheel for half a second roughly before the power completely fades and the wheel starts turning again. Please be so kind as to tell and/or show me what I have causing this (assuming I am possibly using the wrong adapter). The front brake does not exhibit this issue.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
Will a charger rebound adjuster and screw reduce the hole on my WC lowers to standard do I can use an RC rebound?

I.E this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183584484032

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
Hello everyone.

Hope I can get some help here, new to mountain biking and was given a bike, an old Norco VPS. It has shimano disc brake up front, what kind of oil do these take. Also has marzochi front fork shocks is there rebuild kits available.

Thanks.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
MRyanB77 wrote:
Hello everyone.

Hope I can get some help here, new to mountain biking and was given a bike, an old Norco VPS. It has shimano disc brake up front, what kind of oil do these take. Also has marzochi front fork shocks is there rebuild kits available.

Thanks.

Shimano: Mineral oil - proper stuff for bikes, that is, not from the drug store ... though I've yet to see convincing evidence the drug store variety won't work. That's for another thread, though.

Marzocchi: They're pretty durable and you may be able to get away with just an oil change. It should be possible to track down some new bushings, seals, wipers, etc., though that's some old gear and it may not be easy. There are still some forks available with straight 1 1/8" steerers if you can't get the existing fork working properly.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Will a charger rebound adjuster and screw reduce the hole on my WC lowers to standard do I can use an RC rebound?

I.E this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183584484032

No, to reduce the hole from the WC damper, you need the RC casting plug, if you look at the WC damper, and the RC damper, you will notice the difference in dimension, thats were the plug comes in, to make the space from the larger WC, to the small RC. If you were to go from the WC damper to a charger unit, you still need the plug, as in the documents i posted earlier.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

Shimano: Mineral oil - proper stuff for bikes, that is, not from the drug store ... though I've yet to see convincing evidence the drug store variety won't work. That's for another thread, though.

automotive grade mineral oil should also work, at a significant price reduction... that said, there are a staggering amount of mineral oil formulations... I bet someone here knows the best bang for your buck shimano alternative ( that doesn’t smell like lavender)

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023753
Mobile Version of Website