Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Shimano: Mineral oil - proper stuff for bikes, that is, not from the drug store ... though I've yet to see convincing evidence the drug store variety won't work. That's for another thread, though.

automotive grade mineral oil should also work, at a significant price reduction... that said, there are a staggering amount of mineral oil formulations... I bet someone here knows the best bang for your buck shimano alternative ( that doesn’t smell like lavender)

Or you were smart and before CRC stopped selling Shimano to North America you grabbed 3 liters of oil for $60 bucks ;p

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Shimano: Mineral oil - proper stuff for bikes, that is, not from the drug store ... though I've yet to see convincing evidence the drug store variety won't work. That's for another thread, though.

automotive grade mineral oil should also work, at a significant price reduction... that said, there are a staggering amount of mineral oil formulations... I bet someone here knows the best bang for your buck shimano alternative ( that doesn’t smell like lavender)

Or you were smart and before CRC stopped selling Shimano to North America you grabbed 3 liters of oil for $60 bucks ;p

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
NDave wrote:
riish wrote:
Does it make that sound when you’re riding or just when you squeeze a pair of spokes?

Unfortunately it does during riding. Mostly noticeable uphills, or when pushing hard, or when braking. On the second video it can be sen that what it does when actually moving the bike a bit with pulled rear brake.

Any idea regarding this guys? Big Grin

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
Will 2.6 minions fit okay on 40mm internal rims?

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 23:39 Quote
Hi,
I'd like to perform a lower service on my Fox 36 Fit4 : change lubrification oil and grease wiper seals.
I saw that it requires a special tool to push the damper and air spring rods out of the lowers. Is there a trick in order to avoid buying this tool ?

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 0:03 Quote
goytay wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Will a charger rebound adjuster and screw reduce the hole on my WC lowers to standard do I can use an RC rebound?

I.E this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183584484032

No, to reduce the hole from the WC damper, you need the RC casting plug, if you look at the WC damper, and the RC damper, you will notice the difference in dimension, thats were the plug comes in, to make the space from the larger WC, to the small RC. If you were to go from the WC damper to a charger unit, you still need the plug, as in the documents i posted earlier.
Ok well I'm struggling to find a casting plug to fit.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 1:31 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to perform a lower service on my Fox 36 Fit4 : change lubrification oil and grease wiper seals.
I saw that it requires a special tool to push the damper and air spring rods out of the lowers. Is there a trick in order to avoid buying this tool ?

Usually you flip over and thread the lower nut onto the rod, making sure to cover any adjusters, may need to thread the protective cap back on too (if included), then tap with a soft faced hammer. Once they're unseated, may take a solid whack, pull the nut all the way off. And you can drop your lowers from there.

I have heard the 'new' wipers, 2016+? To be used with the gold 20wt fluid, do need the tool to install.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Whipperman wrote:
Hi,

Usually you flip over and thread the lower nut onto the rod, making sure to cover any adjusters, may need to thread the protective cap back on too (if included), then tap with a soft faced hammer. Once they're unseated, may take a solid whack, pull the nut all the way off. And you can drop your lowers from there.

I have heard the 'new' wipers, 2016+? To be used with the gold 20wt fluid, do need the tool to install.

Ok thanks. I don't think i'm going to change the wipers, just grease them with slick kick.
About the oil : Fox recommends 20WT oil, can i use any SAE 20W suspension oil (Castrol...) ?

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
What SPD trail shoes do you recommend with a far cleat set back? I want to mimic a flat as much as possible. My giro chambers (first gen) doesnt go back enough. TIA

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
ChronRabbit wrote:
Will 2.6 minions fit okay on 40mm internal rims?

Yes, but the sidewalls are more vulnerable to damage.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
Primo123 wrote:
What SPD trail shoes do you recommend with a far cleat set back? I want to mimic a flat as much as possible. My giro chambers (first gen) doesnt go back enough. TIA

Chamber v2, since it seems you already like the Giro fit.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
Primo123 wrote:

I have the Shimano ME2 and he cleat is pretty far forwards. It's marketed as an Enduro shoe but I'd call it a light trail shoe.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Primo123 wrote:

I have the Shimano ME2 and he cleat is pretty far forwards. It's marketed as an Enduro shoe but I'd call it a light trail shoe.

Far forwards toward the toe or the heel ? I am looking at the Shimano ME7 because it looks like the clear box is way back in the middle of the foot (what I want)

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
Primo123 wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
Primo123 wrote:

Far forwards toward the toe or the heel ? I am looking at the Shimano ME7 because it looks like the clear box is way back in the middle of the foot (what I want)

Toes. I'll send a pic when I get home tonight when paired with my M8020 pedals. I currently have the cleat slammed all the way back.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
ThreadedBB1day wrote:
Seeking brake advise
I replaced Guide brakes with Shimano XT's recently. I have a 203mm rotor (SM-RT76) on the front and rear. I thought the adaptor (SM-MA90-F203P/PM) was the correct one to use for this setup (PM 180) on the rear triangle. I can see that the pad isn't making full contact with the inner boundary of the disk brake surface. I also feel the bite is not as strong as I expect and I can only lock the rear wheel for half a second roughly before the power completely fades and the wheel starts turning again. Please be so kind as to tell and/or show me what I have causing this (assuming I am possibly using the wrong adapter). The front brake does not exhibit this issue.
Is the adapter up arrow pointing toward the front of the bike? Post a Pic if you can

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026456
Mobile Version of Website