Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
therevfryslim wrote:
Duderz7 wrote:
What he said^

Thanks both, will give this a shot Smile

Check the limit screws as well.
There is a plastic cover that holds the screw setting in place.
If damaged, the screws can drift out of setting.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
Would anyone know the ERD on 29" Syncros XR 2.5? They came stock on Scott Spark RC 900 Team. I'd prefer to buy the rim before I unlace the wheel to minimise downtime. Cheers.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
Would anyone know the ERD on 29" Syncros XR 2.5? They came stock on Scott Spark RC 900 Team. I'd prefer to buy the rim before I unlace the wheel to minimise downtime. Cheers.

586.. is what I found, you should measure though the ERD isn't always bang on

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 2:17 Quote
Thanks man, I could not find it by googling the rim itself. +/- a mm or two won't be too bad.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
Need help people, I have a Scott gambler 710 2015, have purchased a descendant crankset and the gxp bottom bracket. when I was inserting the crank and it looks like is too short and the chainring hits the frame. Can anyone help me, please?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
Need help people, I have a Scott gambler 710 2015, have purchased a descendant crankset and the gxp bottom bracket. when I was inserting the crank and it looks like is too short and the chainring hits the frame. Can anyone help me, please?

83 mm BB shell width. Are your cranks and BB 68 / 73 mm?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Need help people, I have a Scott gambler 710 2015, have purchased a descendant crankset and the gxp bottom bracket. when I was inserting the crank and it looks like is too short and the chainring hits the frame. Can anyone help me, please?

83 mm BB shell width. Are your cranks and BB 68 / 73 mm?
When I bought them they were advertised as being the 83mm, how do I differentiate the 83mm to the 73mm?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Need help people, I have a Scott gambler 710 2015, have purchased a descendant crankset and the gxp bottom bracket. when I was inserting the crank and it looks like is too short and the chainring hits the frame. Can anyone help me, please?

83 mm BB shell width. Are your cranks and BB 68 / 73 mm?
When I bought them they were advertised as being the 83mm, how do I differentiate the 83mm to the 73mm?
My BAD got the wrong BCD crankset, they are 94mm and the frame is 104mm, does anyone knows if it is possible to do a conversion?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
The BCD doesn’t affect how it fits in the frame, only what chainring you can mount to the cranks.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
Favorite Minion knock offs that are actually cheaper than just buying Minions?

I have a buddy that is getting into riding and needs new tires but doesn't want to shell out 60-80 per tire.

In the past, I would have recommended the Forte Pisgah 2 as a cheap Minion knock off
https://www.performancebike.com/forte-pisgah-2-tubeless-ready-mtb-tire-60tpi-26-x-2.35-50-4180-026-235/p976476?v=934464
but as you may have heard Performance Bikes went under and this recommendation is defunct.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
A lot of the Bontrager and Specialized tires are straight up Maxxis ripoffs.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
A lot of the Bontrager and Specialized tires are straight up Maxxis ripoffs.

But are they actually any cheaper? I can find a Minion DHF online for ~$60. I'm seeing Spec Butchers for ~$60 and Bontrager SE5s are ~$75 a pop online.

Basically it seems like Spec and Bontrager for some reason never get that deep discount like Maxxis does, i.e. they price them at the Maxxis discount price of around ~60 and then just leave them there, never discounting.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
A lot of the Bontrager and Specialized tires are straight up Maxxis ripoffs.

"Hold my beer" -Panaracer


Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Ya, that's a minion clone.
I found this one for $47

If anyone has a cheaper minion clone they can recommend, please do tell. The Pisgah IIs could be had for ~$35 so there is still some ground to make up here.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
I have a question for anyone with hopefully an answer. Can Cyclocross wheels be used on a full suspension XC/ Trail bike?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021757
Mobile Version of Website