Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
riish wrote:
The BCD doesn’t affect how it fits in the frame, only what chainring you can mount to the cranks.
So do you have any idea why it hits the frame?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
yobilly wrote:
I have a question for anyone with hopefully an answer. Can Cyclocross wheels be used on a full suspension XC/ Trail bike?
700c wheels will fit on a 29er. Question is hub spacing, axle size, and why the f*ck

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
yobilly wrote:
I have a question for anyone with hopefully an answer. Can Cyclocross wheels be used on a full suspension XC/ Trail bike?
700c wheels will fit on a 29er. Question is hub spacing, axle size, and why the f*ck

dI have the opportunity to purchase a pair or crank bros wheels at a very good price that's why the question.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
yobilly wrote:

Yes but they probably won't have the internal width you're looking for.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
Need help people, I have a Scott gambler 710 2015, have purchased a descendant crankset and the gxp bottom bracket. when I was inserting the crank and it looks like is too short and the chainring hits the frame. Can anyone help me, please?

Have you got the spacer between the drive side BB cup and frame to push it over?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
I dented my back rim and want to replace just the rim and rebuild the wheel. I want to make sure I get the right replacement rim. My current wheel is a Stans Flow S1 29-142-12xd and want to replace it with a Stans flow mk3 rim. The reason is I found a good deal on the rim, https://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.html?ie=UTF8&newItems=C66754510-5349-40e2-a7e3-96b35bbcc70b%2C1, and my friend rides these wheels and really likes em.

So my question is can I use the hub from my flow S1 wheel and this rim? what are some downsides of using a different rim and hub? What measurements do I need from the rim to ensure I get a rim which fits my hub? As you can tell I am far from a bike mechanic but love to ride my bike down hills and appreciate any help yall can offer me.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
yobilly wrote:

That's the crux of it. It's the difference between "can" and "should". Cyclocross tires are half the width of mountain tires, so it shouldn't be a surprise that mountain rims should be twice as wide.

Now, I'm sure someone is going to point out that 'cross rims might have an internal width of 19 mm and plenty of people are using 21 mm rims with 2.4" tires. Again, it's "can" vs. "should".

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Ya, that's a minion clone.
I found this one for $47

If anyone has a cheaper minion clone they can recommend, please do tell. The Pisgah IIs could be had for ~$35 so there is still some ground to make up here.

The Aliso is an even more egregious rip-off of the High Roller 2 than the Romero is of the Minion DHF. The Romero has more of a Vittoria Goma/Morsa side lug, making it a hybrid rip-off. Wink

You can get the CST BFT for about US$35 on eBay - and it's even a "real" Maxxis (Maxxis is the high-end face of Cheng Shin Tire). There's so much more to a tire than the shape of the lugs, though.

For what it's worth, I've used several Panaracer road tires over the past decade and their rubber is among the best for road tires. When I get new road tires, I mount flat pedals on the road bike and do a bunch of maximum traction tests on the cul-de-sac at the end of my street. The only tires that have ever held on until I shut down testing due to wheel flex, rather than loss of traction, are Panaracer and an old WTB model with unusually soft side tread.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
yobilly wrote:

That's the crux of it. It's the difference between "can" and "should". Cyclocross tires are half the width of mountain tires, so it shouldn't be a surprise that mountain rims should be twice as wide.

Now, I'm sure someone is going to point out that 'cross rims might have an internal width of 19 mm and plenty of people are using 21 mm rims with 2.4" tires. Again, it's "can" vs. "should".

I mean yeah, we used to run 19mm inner rims with tires up to 2.35" back in the day, but that was also largely before tubeless was a thing. I wouldn't run a tire bigger than 2.1" tubeless on a 19mm rim.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
seraph wrote:
I mean yeah, we used to run 19mm inner rims with tires up to 2.35" back in the day, but that was also largely before tubeless was a thing. I wouldn't run a tire bigger than 2.1" tubeless on a 19mm rim.

Even 2.1" would be a 2.8:1 ratio of tire width to rim width. I think we should keep it under 2:1 and work toward 1.5:1. For a 19 mm rim, 2:1 would be a 1.5" tire.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
Yeah I run a 35c tire on a 21mm internal rim for my gravel bike, but I was running the same tire on an i19.5 rim as well. However that was just for road/gravel, not low psi off road use.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Anyone know the torque specs for a RT86 rotor?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
2-4 NM is what Shimano recommends for their 6 bolt rotors. I always play it safe and go for 6 NM and be sure to use the tightening plates.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 17:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
Ya, that's a minion clone.
I found this one for $47

If anyone has a cheaper minion clone they can recommend, please do tell. The Pisgah IIs could be had for ~$35 so there is still some ground to make up here.

The Aliso is an even more egregious rip-off of the High Roller 2 than the Romero is of the Minion DHF. The Romero has more of a Vittoria Goma/Morsa side lug, making it a hybrid rip-off. Wink

You can get the CST BFT for about US$35 on eBay - and it's even a "real" Maxxis (Maxxis is the high-end face of Cheng Shin Tire). There's so much more to a tire than the shape of the lugs, though.

For what it's worth, I've used several Panaracer road tires over the past decade and their rubber is among the best for road tires. When I get new road tires, I mount flat pedals on the road bike and do a bunch of maximum traction tests on the cul-de-sac at the end of my street. The only tires that have ever held on until I shut down testing due to wheel flex, rather than loss of traction, are Panaracer and an old WTB model with unusually soft side tread.

BFT looks like the ticket. Thx

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 18:30 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
2-4 NM is what Shimano recommends for their 6 bolt rotors. I always play it safe and go for 6 NM and be sure to use the tightening plates.
Thanks dude

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024333
Mobile Version of Website