Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
So I just and to take my bike out and realized my shifter has alot of play in the up stroke I had crashed yesterday but didn't notice it.. I have a m7000 10 speed shifter that when shifting up you can do 2 gears well when I try to shift 2 gears it barely does 1.. from 10th the first shift is fine then 9th to 1st it's just shit I thought maybe the cable was fubar bit it seem fine..

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
So I just and to take my bike out and realized my shifter has alot of play in the up stroke I had crashed yesterday but didn't notice it.. I have a m7000 10 speed shifter that when shifting up you can do 2 gears well when I try to shift 2 gears it barely does 1.. from 10th the first shift is fine then 9th to 1st it's just shit I thought maybe the cable was fubar bit it seem fine..

Hanger alignment?

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 17:42 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Hanger alignment?

Gunna check it after I make dinner .. I thought of this also but thought I would ask first

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
billbek wrote:
Maybe if i take the bead that is on and shove it up to the sealing surface to give me more room in the middle?

There's a reason why the central channel has a smaller diameter than the bead shelf! Always keep the bead down in that channel when mounting or removing the tire to free up some slack in the bead.

Another wow.
Did I ever have to push the pressure up on that puppy to get it to seat.
Maybe the rim tape takes up more space than I am used to. It was a battle that I am not ready to repeat right away to do the front tire. Another Maxxis but a minion DHF DD.

Another very unrelated question.
Running an E-13 9-46 with a 28T front chain ring to get the range that an old guy needs keep from pushing a bike uphill.
Wondering if an Eagle rear derailleur would have the same cable pull as the 11 speed?
Never been 100% happy with this setup and jamming to the big cog on the cassette under duress can be problematic at times
Thinking about shitcanning the whole Sram setup and going to the new XT 12 speed over the winter.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
billbek wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
billbek wrote:
Maybe if i take the bead that is on and shove it up to the sealing surface to give me more room in the middle?

There's a reason why the central channel has a smaller diameter than the bead shelf! Always keep the bead down in that channel when mounting or removing the tire to free up some slack in the bead.

Another wow.
Maybe the rim tape takes up more space than I am used to. It was a battle that I am not ready to repeat right away to do the front tire. Another Maxxis but a minion DHF DD.

Running an E-13 9-46 with a 28T front chain ring to get the range that an old guy needs keep from pushing a bike uphill.
Wondering if an Eagle rear derailleur would have the same cable pull as the 11 speed?
Never been 100% happy with this setup and jamming to the big cog on the cassette under duress can be problematic at times
Thinking about shitcanning the whole Sram setup and going to the new XT 12 speed over the winter.
I don't believe it does, but a whole GX eagle setup is pretty damn inexpensive.

I'm skeptical of Shimano these days, their quality isn't what it used to be, and they have an even more proprietary freehub now. The diehard Shimano guys I used to work with at the shop are all running eagle drivetrains and Sram/TRP brakes now.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Hanger alignment?

Gunna check it after I make dinner .. I thought of this also but thought I would ask first

So hangar was perfect and I replaced the cable and the problem still persist there's almost an inch of free play before it wants to click

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

Hanger alignment?

So hangar was perfect and I replaced the cable and the problem still persist there's almost an inch of free play before it wants to click

Figured out what's wrong .. the pawl inside the sifter is missing a chunk of tooth.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
billbek wrote:
Another wow.

Some tires and rims just don't play nicely together. I mounted some pre-2019 WTB tires on We Are One rims that required over 50 psi to seat. Makes you jump when they snap into place!

Before you give up on the e*thirteen cassette, check your B-tension: you may need to move the derailleur's upper jockey wheel down to get it to clear the first sprocket when you try to shift.

Don't be shy about the 28T ring! 28/9 on a 29er is equivalent to 33/10 on a 27.5" bike - or 36/11 for those using Shimano. People have given me the "I don't know why anyone would need a 28" nonsense for the same gearing as you, yet are shocked by anyone running larger than 34T. As long as the top gear is tall enough, why not have a super low gear?

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
Sram eagle and 11 speed have the same cable pull. The only difference is the eagle will carry a 51t cog (a definitive maybe here) and the 11 speed will carry a 47t (pretty sure about this one). If you really wanna try something a little different give the box drivetrains a look. They will carry a 46t cog. I have enjoyed one for a bit before going back to single speed. I won't get into the "quality" discussion, you know, because the whole opinions and orifices argument. I'm sure it's been mentioned but all the cassettes are cross compatible so feel free to mix and match. I will say I have found 12 speed to be incredibly finnicky, 11 is less so. I think 10 speed is the last truly uncompromised drivetrain.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 21:37 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
I think 10 speed is the last truly uncompromised drivetrain.

I remember people saying that about 8-speed when 9 was introduced!

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
NDave wrote:
Hey guys,

I plan to replace my Mavic Crossone wheels as the rear has a crazy cracking sound (I have videos under my profile about it) and I could solve it for a short time but happens again...

I was looking at two "budget" sets:

DT Swiss 370 hub and Mavic XC 621 rims
https://www.rosebikes.hu/rose-mtb-wheelset-mavic-xc-621-disc-dt-swiss-370-disc-2668704?product_shape=black&article_size=29%22

DT Swiss 350 hub and Mavic XC 421 Rims
https://www.rosebikes.hu/rose-mtb-wheels-mavic-xc-421-disc-dt-swiss-350-disc-2668693?product_shape=black&article_size=29%22

I know that 350 has the star ratchet but is it that much better? Is there any real difference in weight or quality? The current wheels were perfect for me until now so I need something that is not hevaier and durable .. Smile (And not expensive)
the 350 is one of the best hubs in the game, and the best value you'll get for any hub.

+1 for 350 hubs - outstanding performance and durability.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
I think 10 speed is the last truly uncompromised drivetrain.

I remember people saying that about 8-speed when 9 was introduced!

Lol, yeah...
We fear change...
https://youtu.be/1TtGQnyPZ6g

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
What do you pro's think the real world gains / differences between brake pads with a high carbon compound vs brake pads with cooling fins are? Trying to figure out which are going to give me best performance down the side of a mountain without overheating... I know high carbon is intended to operate in high heat without being affected, but not sure this means no effect on the disc, just on the caliper and pads. While the cooling fins cool the pad down too right? So then would this mean that it effectively cools down every element of the brake?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Hi all I’m trying to find some info on my head tube on my 2015 summum, I need to change the lower headset cup so I can run a 1 1/8th steerer, currently tapered and unsure on which cup is in there, would the hope pick n mix integrated ( type D step down) cup fit the insertion depth of my head tube

Here the the link
http://https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Hope-Pick-N-Mix-Bottom-Cup_51981.htm?sku=142216&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZoNduBYt8dpCLVd8BonGOEndrEcQDcd92lh3K_XHLtEeO3wMvqz68saAsbcEALw_wcB#

Any help is welcome
Many thanks

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
Is the current headset hope? If so you could just purchase the reducer crown race

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033211
Mobile Version of Website