Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
Is the current headset hope? If so you could just purchase the reducer crown race

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
The headset doesn't have to be Hope.
They have crown races for most different headsets.
My bearing angles were the same as Cane creek so I just got that one for mounting Boxxer on tapered headtube.

like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cane-Creek-Crown-Race-Steel-40-Series-1-5-Head-Tube-to-1-1-8-Fork-52-30mm/231519788893?epid=2254421648&hash=item35e7a79f5d:gBig Grin HoAAOSwULVb00XB

Easy and cheap.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
Hey guys, doing a shop supply order for our service department I came across two different types of bulk brake hose, Shimano specific and SRAM specific. In previous shops I have always had a single type of bulk hose that we used for both brands of brake. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the two, and which one you would think would be acceptable to use with both brands, if either.

Thanks for the help!

J

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
RogueLeader wrote:
Hey guys, doing a shop supply order for our service department I came across two different types of bulk brake hose, Shimano specific and SRAM specific. In previous shops I have always had a single type of bulk hose that we used for both brands of brake. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the two, and which one you would think would be acceptable to use with both brands, if either.

Thanks for the help!

J

Sorry to further complicate this for you but Shimano actually has 2 brake hoses, BH59 and BH90

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/bh59-or-bh90-which-insert-do-i-need/

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
RogueLeader wrote:

Thanks for the help!

J

One main difference is DOT fluid vs Mineral oil.
The materials that are compatible with each type of fluid are not the same.

The other items is fittings, different ID, different barbs, crimp fittings...

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Thanks for the help!

J

Sorry to further complicate this for you but Shimano actually has 2 brake hoses, BH59 and BH90

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/bh59-or-bh90-which-insert-do-i-need/

I do know this, the two ID's are slightly different, hence the old and new style barbs. But you can use BH90 with the new style barbs on old brake systems without issue. I'm looking for the best solution to replace BH90 and SRAM/Avid hose.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
potato wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Thanks for the help!

J

One main difference is DOT fluid vs Mineral oil.
The materials that are compatible with each type of fluid are not the same.

The other items is fittings, different ID, different barbs, crimp fittings...

That is what I was wondering about. I feel that the Shimano style hose may work best since its ID is a tiny bit smaller than SRAM's, but since DOT is corrosive I'm not sure if that hose will hold up okay.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:32 Quote
Is there any way to get fluid into a reverb stealth b1 without removing the inner seal head?
I've pushed the inner shaft in with the poppet valve removed and the fluid squinted out.
Thanks

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
hey guys, If i have a new stumpy with a 52.5mm stroke and was looking at a float x2 with either a 50 or 55mm stroke what would the effects be? Has anyone tried or done this? saw it done on a 29er and supposedly worked out fine...

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 15:14 Quote
falkyn wrote:
hey guys, If i have a new stumpy with a 52.5mm stroke and was looking at a float x2 with either a 50 or 55mm stroke what would the effects be? Has anyone tried or done this? saw it done on a 29er and supposedly worked out fine...

Short-stroking it might be ok, but if you choose a longer stroke you run the risk of getting tire rub.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
falkyn wrote:

Doing such upgrade won't affect the geometry at all. Going for the 50mm will give you less travel and 55mm will give you more travel by making it bottom out with the BB closer to the ground. The 55mm will give you ~7mm more travel so your BB will be about 5mm closer to the ground at bottom out. The best way to go about doing this is getting the 55mm and setting up as if it was 52.5mm like it was designed for. This way your geometry is unaffected and you'll have ~7mm more forgiveness during G-outs. And most importantly if you go with the 55mm make sure that the linkage can handle the extra 2.5mm.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
falkyn wrote:

Doing such upgrade won't affect the geometry at all. Going for the 50mm will give you less travel and 55mm will give you more travel by making it bottom out with the BB closer to the ground. The 55mm will give you ~7mm more travel so your BB will be about 5mm closer to the ground at bottom out. The best way to go about doing this is getting the 55mm and setting up as if it was 52.5mm like it was designed for. This way your geometry is unaffected and you'll have ~7mm more forgiveness during G-outs. And most importantly if you go with the 55mm make sure that the linkage can handle the extra 2.5mm.

what do you mean on the linkage handling it? making sure that there is plenty of clearance?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
falkyn wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
falkyn wrote:

what do you mean on the linkage handling it? making sure that there is plenty of clearance?

Yes exactly. Making sure that there is no interference between the linkages when the shock is compressed 2.5mm more. There usually isn't a problem with this as many bike manufacturers know people over shock their bikes but it's always worth checking.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
Can a pair a Zee shifter with a M7000 10 speed rear mech?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
Yes. All 10 speed Shimano stuff even the 10 speed M7000 uses the same actuation ratio.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019528
Mobile Version of Website