Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
landscapeben wrote:
Hey guys, trying to figure out which are going to give me best performance down the side of a mountain without overheating... I know high carbon pads are intended to operate in high heat without being affected, but i'm worried that this will still allow the disc surface to overheat. Will pads with cooling fins cool the entire brake assembly including the disc since it's drawing the heat away?

I run Uberbike Racematrix pads, which are apparently a compstite of pad materials and they are easily the best performing pads I ever used, bed in is very quick, bite from cold is strong and pad life is great, I ride very often and ride steep trails where you are braking for at least 50 percent of the run and I get a year out of them.

Regarding the finnned pads, I notice no diference between the finned and non-finned regarding fade or over heating.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
Building my Enduro bike, installed the Shimano zee and chain , and looks like that the chain is to small cause it wont go to to the higher gears even though the alignment screws are set correctly, on the other hand when it is on the smallest gear the chain becomes to loose!
So chain to small or to big?

what's your cassette? doesn't Zee top out at 36?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
bigburd wrote:
landscapeben wrote:
Hey guys, trying to figure out which are going to give me best performance down the side of a mountain without overheating... I know high carbon pads are intended to operate in high heat without being affected, but i'm worried that this will still allow the disc surface to overheat. Will pads with cooling fins cool the entire brake assembly including the disc since it's drawing the heat away?

I run Uberbike Racematrix pads, which are apparently a compstite of pad materials and they are easily the best performing pads I ever used, bed in is very quick, bite from cold is strong and pad life is great, I ride very often and ride steep trails where you are braking for at least 50 percent of the run and I get a year out of them.

Regarding the finnned pads, I notice no diference between the finned and non-finned regarding fade or over heating.

Thanks bigburd, so you've tried finned pads and found no noticeable advantage? Reason I was looking to change was I just got new Magura MT7 front brake with a 203mm shimano icetech rotor. Bedded in the pads well and then on my first run down devil's dyke on the South Downs braking from about 45mph the magura pads were burning up and got all glazed from the heat.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
landscapeben wrote:
bigburd wrote:
landscapeben wrote:
Hey guys, trying to figure out which are going to give me best performance down the side of a mountain without overheating... I know high carbon pads are intended to operate in high heat without being affected, but i'm worried that this will still allow the disc surface to overheat. Will pads with cooling fins cool the entire brake assembly including the disc since it's drawing the heat away?

I run Uberbike Racematrix pads, which are apparently a compstite of pad materials and they are easily the best performing pads I ever used, bed in is very quick, bite from cold is strong and pad life is great, I ride very often and ride steep trails where you are braking for at least 50 percent of the run and I get a year out of them.

Regarding the finnned pads, I notice no diference between the finned and non-finned regarding fade or over heating.

Thanks bigburd, so you've tried finned pads and found no noticeable advantage? Reason I was looking to change was I just got new Magura MT7 front brake with a 203mm shimano icetech rotor. Bedded in the pads well and then on my first run down devil's dyke on the South Downs braking from about 45mph the magura pads were burning up and got all glazed from the heat.

Yeah I noticed no difference but then again I'm light and I ride steep switchy stuff mostly so I may not get them hot enough for long enough periods to notice, I'd imaine on higher speed stuff with longer harder breaking zones it may be noticable

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 7:07 Quote
Thanks bigburd! Reckon I should get some RaceMatrix Trp quads sometime! :-) thumbs up.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Building my Enduro bike, installed the Shimano zee and chain , and looks like that the chain is to small cause it wont go to to the higher gears even though the alignment screws are set correctly, on the other hand when it is on the smallest gear the chain becomes to loose!
So chain to small or to big?

what's your cassette? doesn't Zee top out at 36?
There are different zee mechs to accommodate the different close range cassettes. If you're trying to use a wide range cassette with one it would cause the problems you describe.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Building my Enduro bike, installed the Shimano zee and chain , and looks like that the chain is to small cause it wont go to to the higher gears even though the alignment screws are set correctly, on the other hand when it is on the smallest gear the chain becomes to loose!
So chain to small or to big?

what's your cassette? doesn't Zee top out at 36?
There are different zee mechs to accommodate the different close range cassettes. If you're trying to use a wide range cassette with one it would cause the problems you describe.

The zee FR is rated to 36T, I have set it up with 42t on a hardtail, but I will not say it will always work. I added a goat link to improve shifting and it moved the mech enough such that my chain length was off and adding/removing 1 link put it too far in either direction. A 40t cassette may give you better luck. Wouldn't try over 36t on a full suspension either.

There is also the DH version of the zee which is rated to 28t which will fight you even more and give you the issue you are talking about where it sounds like your mech cage is too short.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
I was putting my rear wheel back in my bike and my dad dropped by axle on the floor and it chipped the surface . Does this need replacing or can I repair it or can it just be left ? It is a maxle quick release for the front wheel

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
Burticus1107 wrote:
I was putting my rear wheel back in my bike and my dad dropped by axle on the floor and it chipped the surface . Does this need replacing or can I repair it or can it just be left ? It is a maxle quick release for the front wheel

where exactly is it damaged? how deep is the chip?

you can probably just buff out any rough spots and slide it back in.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:
I was putting my rear wheel back in my bike and my dad dropped by axle on the floor and it chipped the surface . Does this need replacing or can I repair it or can it just be left ? It is a maxle quick release for the front wheel

where exactly is it damaged? how deep is the chip?

you can probably just buff out any rough spots and slide it back in.

It's towards the side sort of a quarter way in and it's deep enough to feel and see when looking at the axle. Will it damage my hub if I ride it?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
Burticus1107 wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:
I was putting my rear wheel back in my bike and my dad dropped by axle on the floor and it chipped the surface . Does this need replacing or can I repair it or can it just be left ? It is a maxle quick release for the front wheel

where exactly is it damaged? how deep is the chip?

you can probably just buff out any rough spots and slide it back in.

It's towards the side sort of a quarter way in and it's deep enough to feel and see when looking at the axle. Will it damage my hub if I ride it?

Any chance of a pic ? It's quite hard to visualise and help with the problem.

But it sounds like as the guy above says you can probably just file or sand down the rough edges, you can't really do any real damage to an axle by dropping it a few feet.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
riish wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Building my Enduro bike, installed the Shimano zee and chain , and looks like that the chain is to small cause it wont go to to the higher gears even though the alignment screws are set correctly, on the other hand when it is on the smallest gear the chain becomes to loose!
So chain to small or to big?

What kind of cage position is the derailleur in, in the largest gear you can get to?

I believe there are two zee derailleurs, do you have the DH one? It goes only to 28. The wide ratio goes to a 32.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Your Maxle sounds fine!

Ride on!

Hth

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:


where exactly is it damaged? how deep is the chip?

you can probably just buff out any rough spots and slide it back in.

It's towards the side sort of a quarter way in and it's deep enough to feel and see when looking at the axle. Will it damage my hub if I ride it?

Any chance of a pic ? It's quite hard to visualise and help with the problem.

But it sounds like as the guy above says you can probably just file or sand down the rough edges, you can't really do any real damage to an axle by dropping it a few feet.
How can I send a picture? I'm quite new to using pinkbike


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018432
Mobile Version of Website