Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
Burticus1107 wrote:
bigburd wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:

It's towards the side sort of a quarter way in and it's deep enough to feel and see when looking at the axle. Will it damage my hub if I ride it?

Any chance of a pic ? It's quite hard to visualise and help with the problem.

But it sounds like as the guy above says you can probably just file or sand down the rough edges, you can't really do any real damage to an axle by dropping it a few feet.
How can I send a picture? I'm quite new to using pinkbike

Not sure how to post on the forum itself so all I do is upload them to pinkbike, make an album and link to the album in the forum.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Duderz7 wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

what's your cassette? doesn't Zee top out at 36?
There are different zee mechs to accommodate the different close range cassettes. If you're trying to use a wide range cassette with one it would cause the problems you describe.

The zee FR is rated to 36T, I have set it up with 42t on a hardtail, but I will not say it will always work. I added a goat link to improve shifting and it moved the mech enough such that my chain length was off and adding/removing 1 link put it too far in either direction. A 40t cassette may give you better luck. Wouldn't try over 36t on a full suspension either.

There is also the DH version of the zee which is rated to 28t which will fight you even more and give you the issue you are talking about where it sounds like your mech cage is too short.
Using zee DH version , and short range cassette and also not running any chain guide

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:
bigburd wrote:

But it sounds like as the guy above says you can probably just file or sand down the rough edges, you can't really do any real damage to an axle by dropping it a few feet.

Not sure how to post on the forum itself so all I do is upload them to pinkbike, make an album and link to the album in the forum.

I do the same thing. At the heart of it there is no uploading of photos directly to the forums so the only thing you can do is link to a photo posted somewhere with an http and then the menu bar above this text box i'm typing in will let you embed a link to that location.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Burticus1107 wrote:
bigburd wrote:

Just take the rough edges off it and put it back in the bike.

In the time it takes it to upload a photo, you could be out riding.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
Last thing I havent upgraded are my brakes. Currently run 203/180s on the stock sram levels. They met its match while I rode in CO. Def some scary parts where my brakes faded.

Been looking at the Shimano SLX brakes since they are on sale and are simple set and forget (I like)

I'm going to get fresh ice tech rotors but cant decide on which rotor size. I was thinking about going 180/180. Do you think that will be enough power? I've heard that shimano have more initial bite, which might be too much with a 203 rotor? Im 250 lbs full kitted.

TIA

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Primo123 wrote:
Last thing I havent upgraded are my brakes. Currently run 203/180s on the stock sram levels. They met its match while I rode in CO. Def some scary parts where my brakes faded.

Been looking at the Shimano SLX brakes since they are on sale and are simple set and forget (I like)

I'm going to get fresh ice tech rotors but cant decide on which rotor size. I was thinking about going 180/180. Do you think that will be enough power? I've heard that shimano have more initial bite, which might be too much with a 203 rotor? Im 250 lbs full kitted.

TIA

I say go for the 203s f and r. Weight dif is negligible. For your weight, I think you should be well paired with the power.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
Burticus1107 wrote:
I was putting my rear wheel back in my bike and my dad dropped by axle on the floor and it chipped the surface . Does this need replacing or can I repair it or can it just be left ? It is a maxle quick release for the front wheel

Like the others have said just put it back in and ride.
The axle bears load but it is not a spinning surface, a scratch won't damage anything.
The hub inner diameter is basically the inner race of a bearing or set of bearings.
It won't move much in relation to the axle.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
Can you use a SRAM dub crank and a 68/72mm bottom bracket and put it in a 83mm bottom bracket?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Can you use a SRAM dub crank and a 68/72mm bottom bracket and put it in a 83mm bottom bracket?

No, the spindle isn't long enough. You need a DH crank.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
Has anyone been running a shimano 12 speed chain on any 3rd party chainrings? I want the full benefits of the HG+ system, but am not ready to spring for the new cranksets and chainrings. Will the HG+ chain play nice with an 11sp ring? Or should I just use an eagle chain in the short term, until I can switch out the chainset too?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
lbro23 wrote:
Has anyone been running a shimano 12 speed chain on any 3rd party chainrings? I want the full benefits of the HG+ system, but am not ready to spring for the new cranksets and chainrings. Will the HG+ chain play nice with an 11sp ring? Or should I just use an eagle chain in the short term, until I can switch out the chainset too?

Wolf Tooth makes an HG+ chainring.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
seraph wrote:
Wolf Tooth makes an HG+ chainring.

My existing crankset is Sram Direct Mount, and the only way to get Wolf Tooth's HG+ ring on it is with their carrier fast swap system, which is nearly as expensive as a new crankset.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
welcome to shimanos f*ckery.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
Those new shimano cranks are beautiful to look at tho

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 21:04 Quote
Yeah they remind me of the old M952 series a bit, which is arguably the most beautiful crank they've ever produced.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018503
Mobile Version of Website