Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
A bit of a twofer question...

I have a 2014 Specialized Epic WC who has seen a lot of miles. Right pedal is slightly loose and squeaking, LBS says it’s the “Sleeve” so they suggested replacing entire crankset. I’ve taken the pedal out and back in, I agree the issue is IN the crank where the threads are.

1) any ideas on mending the sleeve to which the pedals affix? It has a visible crack, and the pedal has 1-2mm play. Was thinking epoxy (dunno which type) but worried it wouldn’t work and I’d just have a pedal stuck in a broken crank.

2) If I do buy a replacement crank (he mentioned Truvativ Descendant), what all specs do I have to check out? So far just looking for BB30 and 175mm, but seems like there’s other variables I might need to consider.

Happy riding from Tucson
-N

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Just got myself some mint 200 66rc, does anybody know which adaptor I need for the air valves?

Aren't they just Shrader valves
don't think so, pretty sure they some tiny valve thing
Got a pic?

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Aren't they just Shrader valves
don't think so, pretty sure they some tiny valve thing
Got a pic?
Does it look like this?

If so you need this

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Hey guys, this is a 2019 Rockshox Deluxe RT3 w/ Thrushaft (Trek). Cross-threaded bolt pulled out the first 3-4 threads, so soft it just felt like pushing against locktite Frown

Questions are:

1) Can I safely tap this or would that put my frame at risk if it pulled out while riding?
2) Is it possible to replace the eyelets at the bottom of this shock, and if so, can it be done without replacing the whole damper body?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
Dedward2 wrote:
Hey guys, this is a 2019 Rockshox Deluxe RT3 w/ Thrushaft (Trek). Cross-threaded bolt pulled out the first 3-4 threads, so soft it just felt like pushing against locktite Frown

Questions are:

1) Can I safely tap this or would that put my frame at risk if it pulled out while riding?
2) Is it possible to replace the eyelets at the bottom of this shock, and if so, can it be done without replacing the whole damper body?

Thanks in advance!

18 11.4118.054.000 REAR SHOCK DAMPER BODY - THRUSHAFT (INCLUDES DAMPER BODY, BUSHING & SEALS) - THRUSHAFT DELUXE A1 (2017+)

You would have to replace the entire damper body. Just put a helicoil in there and send it.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Just got myself some mint 200 66rc, does anybody know which adaptor I need for the air valves?

Pretty sure you need this adapter - part code 5321530/C
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-marzocchi-adaptor/rp-prod25834

Out of stock on CRC but I've seen a few on ebay and elsewhere.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 1:11 Quote
Currently running a 1x9 w/ a sram x5 9 speed medium cage derailleur. Will an X-7 Type 2 10 speed rear derailleur work in place of the x5. Both look very similar, have 1:1 pull ration, just wondering if the extra speed would cause problems.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
I need to get a snap ring out of my sram guide brake. I bought a pair of snap ring pliers at the local auto parts place, but they didn't have enough reach. I'm hoping someone here can recommend a brand of pliers that will work. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
Where is the snap ring in question?

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
tpf17 wrote:
I need to get a snap ring out of my sram guide brake. I bought a pair of snap ring pliers at the local auto parts place, but they didn't have enough reach. I'm hoping someone here can recommend a brand of pliers that will work. Thanks.
Guessing you mean for master cylinder removal?

When I went to STU, we used a small pair of diagonal cutters instead of snapring pliers.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
Thoughts on parks tool grease vs regular (canadian tire) grease?

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
Not to say that there all exactly the same but for general use CT grease won't do any harm as long as it isn't petroleum based like you'll find for automotive. Lithium based grease is good for bikes.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Where is the snap ring in question?

Master cylinder

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
So I've just dinged another rim. EX511 with a ding that might not straighten out without cracking as its compressed/creased the side of the rim too. Was running 25psi with an exo casing dhr2 and I only weigh 75kg. Would I be better off switching to DD or similar or running an insert of some description?

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
Depends. Do you think the damage was a one off or your fault due to line choice, or simply because the trails you ride beat bikes? If the former, just ride better lines, if the latter, get inserts.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024934
Mobile Version of Website