Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
In this case 50/50, very rocky trails with plenty of sharp edges, but I was probably a little offline. I've dinged two rims in 2 years so I don't think my line choice is tooooo bad. Been looking at a DD dhr2 as my current one is pretty beat up, you reckon that would help much? If not looking at rimpact or nukeproof ard

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
I am upgrading my brake pads to metal from resin, and as my rotors are designed for resin only I decided to upgrade my rotors to Shimano Ice-Tech, and increasing the front from 180mm to 203mm. The rotors are scheduled to show up next week, but the pads are backordered for a few more weeks.

If I install the new rotors, will anything bad happen when I make the switch from resin pads to metallic pads? Or would it just be best to keep my current ones on until I can make the whole swap. If I have to do anything special before switching pad types, I will probably just keep my current setup until the new pads arrive.

Nothing is currently wrong with my pads or rotors, I am just going to be doing some downhill park riding later this summer and don't want my brake performance to fade over long descents.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I am upgrading my brake pads to metal from resin, and as my rotors are designed for resin only I decided to upgrade my rotors to Shimano Ice-Tech, and increasing the front from 180mm to 203mm. The rotors are scheduled to show up next week, but the pads are backordered for a few more weeks.

If I install the new rotors, will anything bad happen when I make the switch from resin pads to metallic pads? Or would it just be best to keep my current ones on until I can make the whole swap. If I have to do anything special before switching pad types, I will probably just keep my current setup until the new pads arrive.

Nothing is currently wrong with my pads or rotors, I am just going to be doing some downhill park riding later this summer and don't want my brake performance to fade over long descents.

never had any issues with running metal pads on a resin pad only rotor. it'll be more prone to warping and the rotor will wear out faster.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
rickymeng wrote:
Currently running a 1x9 w/ a sram x5 9 speed medium cage derailleur. Will an X-7 Type 2 10 speed rear derailleur work in place of the x5. Both look very similar, have 1:1 pull ration, just wondering if the extra speed would cause problems.
yes it will

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

When you get your new pads just sand the shot out of the rotor with Emery cloth clean it with isopropyl and then bed in the new pads and you will be fine.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 17:59 Quote
hstenner1 wrote:
In this case 50/50, very rocky trails with plenty of sharp edges, but I was probably a little offline. I've dinged two rims in 2 years so I don't think my line choice is tooooo bad. Been looking at a DD dhr2 as my current one is pretty beat up, you reckon that would help much? If not looking at rimpact or nukeproof ard

get a DD. good insurance, and super meaty. probably lighter than using an insert too. they are a bitch to put on tho just a heads up.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
For putting stubborn tubeless tires on and not damaging the rim tape I use Mavic tire levers. Super thin and wide.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
OK, sudden brake power loss. Was fine , stopped to chat an all power gone from the brake. Lever hitting the grip, quick look couldn't see any fluid, no wet spot in the trail dust covering the bike. Inspected all hose joints, pistons lever etc.
Hope mono,moto 07
Brake is working when the pads eventually hit rotor

So weird the way it suddenly happened , any experience before I get the spanners out
Cheers

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
Cooked brake fluid?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:20 Quote
when stationary?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
I have just cleaned my brakes with brake cleaner now I have no stopping power! What went wrong?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Exactly why I don't use brake cleaners, they always leave a film on the rotor and pads in my experience, never get them back to 100%.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
I have just cleaned my brakes with brake cleaner now I have no stopping power! What went wrong?
Sand the rotor and blow torch the pads.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Get some wet and really gritty dirt, plaster it over your rotors, pedal down the road and do a bedding in type process, the abrasiveness grinds all the contaminant away, it sounds horrible when you are doing it but that loud grinding sound is a good sound.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021005
Mobile Version of Website