Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Exactly why I don't use brake cleaners, they always leave a film on the rotor and pads in my experience, never get them back to 100%.
Aren't they supposed to be the best thing for pads?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
Yep, need some pad build up on the rotor

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Yep, need some pad build up

This! Get the heat up in those mfs

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
Hi,
I want to perform a quick service on a Fox 36 FIT4 and a DPX2 : lubrification only. About oil :
*Fox 20wt gold is required for the fork, not so expensive (18€/L)
*fox float fluid (blue oil) for the shock, uber expensive (80€/L)

Is there any equivalent to the fox float fluid ? read alsewhere that synthetic gear oil could work (85W90) or Torco MPZ (never heard of this)

Also on RS suspension they recommend grease instead of oil on the seals, would that work on fox (RSP Slick Kick for example) ?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Remembering that some oils do not interact well with seals of some makes.

For example Maxima as used in RS with DVO.

Just a headsup that this might be the case.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Get some wet and really gritty dirt, plaster it over your rotors, pedal down the road and do a bedding in type process, the abrasiveness grinds all the contaminant away, it sounds horrible when you are doing it but that loud grinding sound is a good sound.
Have just done it but much better but not good yet

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Is there such thing about too steep of a hill to bed in brakes?

Theres a super steep hill local to me that is about 250m in length with a 50m elevation drop, and I was thinking it would be a good place to get speed to bed them in. And (if that is fine for the brakes) about how many runs of that should I do to fully bed them in?

I'd probably get someone to shuttle me up every time, so going back up isn't much of an issue

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
You don't need high speeds to bed in brakes. Just a few sprint/brake stops and a few coast/brake stops.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
Hi,
I want to perform a quick service on a Fox 36 FIT4 and a DPX2 : lubrification only. About oil :
*Fox 20wt gold is required for the fork, not so expensive (18€/L)
*fox float fluid (blue oil) for the shock, uber expensive (80€/L)

Is there any equivalent to the fox float fluid ? read alsewhere that synthetic gear oil could work (85W90) or Torco MPZ (never heard of this)

Also on RS suspension they recommend grease instead of oil on the seals, would that work on fox (RSP Slick Kick for example) ?

I'm not sure about the dpx2 but the float seal kit comes with a pillow pack of the blue...

Unsure if the dpx2 uses the same kit as a float but the float kits include a pillow pack of the the blue if that helps...

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
You don't need high speeds to bed in brakes. Just a few sprint/brake stops and a few coast/brake stops.
don't completely stop when bedding in new brakes and rotors.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
My tubeless tire is leaking from two nipples. Can I just toss some glue on the nipples, or do I have to retape the whole thing?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
It'll be better in the long run if you just retape.

But first, make sure your valve stem is tight, its usually not the fix, but once in a while it can be.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
Nobble wrote:
It'll be better in the long run if you just retape.

But first, make sure your valve stem is tight, its usually not the fix, but once in a while it can be.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's definitely the nipples, I sprayed soapy water all over the rim/tire to find the leak and there are 2 nipples that have bubbles. Unless this is somehow related to the valve stem?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
If the air finds a hole in the tape it will push sealant out at the easiest spot on the rim, usually at a nipple. Usually if the valve is leaking it bubbles there but not always. Its worth tightening to make sure.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
seraph wrote:

This ^^

You don't want to over heat the pads doing a big steep hill for bedding, like seraph says, few sprints and stops on the flat/gentle slope is ideal, sprint stop on one brake a few tiems till it works, then the same with the other.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019107
Mobile Version of Website