Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
If the hub has threads on the ends of the hub and not pull off endcaps then more than likely no. If it has pull off endcaps like Hope or DT Swiss you could convert it to 10x135mm thru-bolt (not axle). This is basically a QR but is one long threadless bolt that both takes the weight and clamps on the frame.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
ChronRabbit wrote:
ChronRabbit wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:


Are you asking about the hub or the bike?

The bike I guess

Im sick of or the QR I want a thru axle out back

Frame can be made compatible with a thru axel with a new drop out kit for that frame. Contact your salsa dealer. Hub probably isnt convertable to thru axel. Would likely need new hub ( or really wheel as it prob isnt worth the cost of lacing a new hub to your existing rim)

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
Hi,

i`m in need of a new lower bearing for my Hope ZS56/40 Headset.

Original Hope spare part will take long delivery time to my place - can I take any type 6808 bearing (that would be easy to buy within an hour here). like this one - https://www.astbearings.com/catalog.html?page=product&id=6808-2RS

Ist there anything more to keep in mind other than the measurements 40mm/52mm/7mm?

thx!

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
[Quote="a-aha"]Hi,

i`m in need of a new lower bearing for my Hope ZS56/40 Headset.

Original Hope spare part will take long delivery time to my place - can I take any type 6808 bearing (that would be easy to buy within an hour here). like this one - https://www.astbearings.com/catalog.html?page=product&id=6808-2RS

Ist there anything more to keep in mind other than the measurements 40mm/52mm/7mm?

thx![/Quote/]

Yeah the angle of the crown race 36 or 45 and the external chamfer

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
ChronRabbit wrote:
ChronRabbit wrote:


The bike I guess

Im sick of or the QR I want a thru axle out back

Frame can be made compatible with a thru axel with a new drop out kit for that frame. Contact your salsa dealer. Hub probably isnt convertable to thru axel. Would likely need new hub ( or really wheel as it prob isnt worth the cost of lacing a new hub to your existing rim)

what a shame, thanks for the response

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
Yeah the angle of the crown race 36 or 45 and the external chamfer

OK, found Out I need 45° - but what do you mean by external chamber? Sorry my english is not the best...

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Need some help again people, trying to identify the model of these Sherman's, they have 1.5 steerer, has the two adjuster on top and a round one on one of lower legs that does feck all. Not taken apart yet but travel measurement was 150mm.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
Dunno but they look rad as f!

Hydrodip them in white/grey snakeskin

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Dunno but they look rad as f!

Hydrodip them in white/grey snakeskin
Just glad I still got my patriot 7+

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
Nice1! Sounds good!

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Need some help again people, trying to identify the model of these Sherman's, they have 1.5 steerer, has the two adjuster on top and a round one on one of lower legs that does feck all. Not taken apart yet but travel measurement was 150mm.

Sherman flick+ TPC
The round adjuster up top is compression, down bottom is rebound. The adjuster with the tag on it is a travel adjustment, turn it then push the fork down and a set of ears that reside in the pushrod open out and hold the fork down in the travel for climbing (RS revisited this with the dual position coil system a couple of years ago)

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
el-booto wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Need some help again people, trying to identify the model of these Sherman's, they have 1.5 steerer, has the two adjuster on top and a round one on one of lower legs that does feck all. Not taken apart yet but travel measurement was 150mm.

Sherman flick+ TPC
The round adjuster up top is compression, down bottom is rebound. The adjuster with the tag on it is a travel adjustment, turn it then push the fork down and a set of ears that reside in the pushrod open out and hold the fork down in the travel for climbing (RS revisited this with the dual position coil system a couple of years ago)
Good to know, wanting to fully do these over but I have noticed that adjusting top knob adjusts rebound some how and left leg adjuster does eh nothing, as for lower adjuster it turns about 145° then stops with no difference. Seems they need major love. One question... How can you be sure they TPC+ and not the crappy spv? Just curious

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
el-booto wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Need some help again people, trying to identify the model of these Sherman's, they have 1.5 steerer, has the two adjuster on top and a round one on one of lower legs that does feck all. Not taken apart yet but travel measurement was 150mm.

Sherman flick+ TPC
The round adjuster up top is compression, down bottom is rebound. The adjuster with the tag on it is a travel adjustment, turn it then push the fork down and a set of ears that reside in the pushrod open out and hold the fork down in the travel for climbing (RS revisited this with the dual position coil system a couple of years ago)
Good to know, wanting to fully do these over but I have noticed that adjusting top knob adjusts rebound some how and left leg adjuster does eh nothing, as for lower adjuster it turns about 145° then stops with no difference. Seems they need major love. One question... How can you be sure they TPC+ and not the crappy spv? Just curious

Black dial on the top of the right leg should be compression, possibly they've had the pistons turned over...
Definitely worth giving them a freshen up, there are a couple of sources around for old manitou parts so you should be able to get them running mint.
Left leg houses the spring, that turnkey does something but you have to push the fork down over half to get the lockdown to engage.
SPV forks have a different topcap with a volume adjust in the center and a Schrader valve to add air to pressurize the SPV piston. That's how you tell them apart from TPC

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 1:36 Quote
a-aha wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
Yeah the angle of the crown race 36 or 45 and the external chamfer

OK, found Out I need 45° - but what do you mean by external chamber? Sorry my english is not the best...

Sorry I meant chamfer, the outer top edge of the bearing can also be at 45 also

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
el-booto wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
el-booto wrote:


Sherman flick+ TPC
The round adjuster up top is compression, down bottom is rebound. The adjuster with the tag on it is a travel adjustment, turn it then push the fork down and a set of ears that reside in the pushrod open out and hold the fork down in the travel for climbing (RS revisited this with the dual position coil system a couple of years ago)
Good to know, wanting to fully do these over but I have noticed that adjusting top knob adjusts rebound some how and left leg adjuster does eh nothing, as for lower adjuster it turns about 145° then stops with no difference. Seems they need major love. One question... How can you be sure they TPC+ and not the crappy spv? Just curious

Black dial on the top of the right leg should be compression, possibly they've had the pistons turned over...
Definitely worth giving them a freshen up, there are a couple of sources around for old manitou parts so you should be able to get them running mint.
Left leg houses the spring, that turnkey does something but you have to push the fork down over half to get the lockdown to engage.
SPV forks have a different topcap with a volume adjust in the center and a Schrader valve to add air to pressurize the SPV piston. That's how you tell them apart from TPC
Well that's good to know I haven't got a crappy pair then, spent a while reading how bad the spv was. Thanks for the help, got a lot more than I anticipated


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023071
Mobile Version of Website