Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
is there some easy way to mount a semi integrated headset into a frame? specifically the bottom cup. i believe the size is ZS44 EC49/40. I don’t have a vice.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
Wood blocks and a c-clamp.

And at your own risk, wood blocks and a hammer.
Just make sure you are constantly leveling the cup during insertion.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:25 Quote
sosburn wrote:
is there some easy way to mount a semi integrated headset into a frame? specifically the bottom cup. i believe the size is ZS44 EC49/40. I don’t have a vice.
Honestly?

A 2x4 and a dead blow will get this done in a hurry. Just make sure it goes in straight or else you will damage the frame.

You can also get a length of 5/8" threaded rod, Two nuts and some big f*ck off type 5/8" fender washers and build your own headset press which will be less likely to go all skuzzy whumpas on you.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
Make sure you lube the headset cup and the steer tube with grease .. never go in dry Wink

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Make sure you lube the race and the steer tube with grease .. never go in dry Wink
just ensure the grease is compatible with the frame material. Green loctite can also work well in carbon applications.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 3:52 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Can they handle a bit of park abuse?

Good Q!

Anyone know yet?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 4:23 Quote
*snip*
jimbomodder wrote:
Right I've stripped them this morning and here's the outcome.
Manitou Sherman project
seems the travel adjuster is missing from within the spring.
Negative

The travel adjust is only a 2pos deal, see that wee antenna sticking off the top of the spring shaft? That, when turned pushes a set of tapered ears out of two slots in the pushrod. When the ears get pushed through the sealhead and negative spring the flat sides on the base hold the fork in a reduced travel setting.
There should be a plastic piece in the one end of the spring, that is meant to engage the wire doohickey and the other end of the spring is keyed to the moving piece in the topcap.

See if it works, if not run run em wide open and don't even worry about the lockdown setting. It was pretty agricultural when it came out and they were notorious for expiring in short order...

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Can they handle a bit of park abuse?

Good Q!

Anyone know yet?

I have spawned little humans and dont get to ride park that often now, but the 2 days at Grandy earlier this summer, they didnt explode/fall off

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
Nice to know this!

Cheers fella.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Are Saints Overkill for a Enduro/Trail Bike? Am I better off saving some money and getting the Zees?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
Are Saints Overkill for a Enduro/Trail Bike? Am I better off saving some money and getting the Zees?
zees are more expensive than the saints...

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

Everywhere I'm looking I can find the Zees cheaper though

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

theyre literally half the price of saints.
I use zees on my hightower, not overkill.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
What brakes are you currently using. If they're Shimano you're better off buying the BR-MT520 calipers for your current levers and get nearly the exact same power and feel.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
What brakes are you currently using. If they're Shimano you're better off buying the BR-MT520 calipers for your current levers and get nearly the exact same power and feel.

Currently got the stock SRAM Guide R and definetly need something beefier for Park and the alpine trails here.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019752
Mobile Version of Website