Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 17:27 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Never tried the saints but I have Zees on my bike and I'm about 330lbs at the moment and they have some serious stopping power I can lock my wheels up without issues .. and I paid $300 for a set and I think the saints are 450 and that's from TBS bike parts .. my buddy who has the saints says that they are just a more refined version of the zees, the bitepoint screw doesn't do anything he says and they weight a few grams less and have some gold fittings ..

Ohh I should put here the only downside to the saint/Zee brakes is the icetech pads they are expensive as f*ck. Cheapest I found them was either from jensonUSA or TBS bike parts which is $45 cad per brake for the sintered pads

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Never tried the saints but I have Zees on my bike and I'm about 330lbs at the moment and they have some serious stopping power I can lock my wheels up without issues .. and I paid $300 for a set and I think the saints are 450 and that's from TBS bike parts .. my buddy who has the saints says that they are just a more refined version of the zees, the bitepoint screw doesn't do anything he says and they weight a few grams less and have some gold fittings ..

Ohh I should put here the only downside to the saint/Zee brakes is the icetech pads they are expensive as f*ck. Cheapest I found them was either from jensonUSA or TBS bike parts which is $45 cad per brake for the sintered pads
magura pads msrp is $70 so not bad

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

yeah definitely could be worse, and in my experience the shimano pads last a while unless you're literally just laying on the brakes the entire time.

last time i checked, Zees are about 120$ per brake on Jenson.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
sosburn wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

yeah definitely could be worse, and in my experience the shimano pads last a while unless you're literally just laying on the brakes the entire time.

last time i checked, Zees are about 120$ per brake on Jenson.
yea the pads do last a while I have got about 12 full park days on my pads and they are half worn and u still kinda drag my brakes here and there but I'm working on that lol .. and 120 Merican is about 150 Canadian so it's about the same

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
[ ... ] the only downside to the saint/Zee brakes is the icetech pads they are expensive as f*ck. Cheapest I found them was either from jensonUSA or TBS bike parts which is $45 cad per brake for the sintered pads

The Ice Tech pads aren't necessary.

www.discobrakes.com

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
[ ... ] the only downside to the saint/Zee brakes is the icetech pads they are expensive as f*ck. Cheapest I found them was either from jensonUSA or TBS bike parts which is $45 cad per brake for the sintered pads

www.discobrakes.com

not necessary but they make a big difference.
Plus the link shows that the sintered pads are out of stock rn.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
sosburn wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

www.discobrakes.com

not necessary but they make a big difference.
Plus the link shows that the sintered pads are out of stock rn.

Did you set your country on their site? That sometimes changes the availability.

I used to run their Ceramic Soft pads. Durability is decent in dry conditions and the performance was as good as anything I had tried. Probably still true. Would be interested to try the Kevlar compound.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
I have tried various different off brand pads and always get a negative result, my last try was with Uber bike components. Bought some sintered pads and within 2 laps of the bike park my rotors were scorched with Shimano I have gone 8 full days without fowling the pads or rotors.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
I have tried various different off brand pads and always get a negative result, my last try was with Uber bike components. Bought some sintered pads and within 2 laps of the bike park my rotors were scorched with Shimano I have gone 8 full days without fowling the pads or rotors.

Sintered or "organic" Shimano pads? Could the difference by simply compound type, rather than Shimano vs. generic?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Sintered or "organic" Shimano pads? Could the difference by simply compound type, rather than Shimano vs. generic?

I usually only run Shimano H03C pads... tried organic once and found that the pad life wasn't that great and I got fade a few times, being a bigger dude I just stuck with sintered, I figured with the other pads it was what they used as fillers besides metal when you pay 40 bucks for 4 pairs of pads you shouldn't expect them to be top notch

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

I usually only run Shimano H03C pads... tried organic once and found that the pad life wasn't that great and I got fade a few times, being a bigger dude I just stuck with sintered, I figured with the other pads it was what they used as fillers besides metal when you pay 40 bucks for 4 pairs of pads you shouldn't expect them to be top notch

Keep in mind that Shimano doesn't make their own pads; they buy them from some vendor. Maybe Shimano's compound is proprietary, but I'd be surprised. It's possible a generic company will also purchase from the same vendor. Or a better compound / vendor. Or worse.

Shimano's sales model involves distributors and bike shops - several tiers of mark-up. A small company that buys directly from the vendor and sells directly to consumers has a pricing advantage, so it's not necessarily as simple as "you get what you pay for".

Bummer that you've had poor results with generic pads. Cheap, great pads must be out there somewhere!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Yea I agree with what you say and yea if only I could find out who makes Shimanos pads that would be awesome lol

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:05 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Yea I agree with what you say and yea if only I could find out who makes Shimanos pads that would be awesome lol

Any manufacturer that also provides aftermarket automotive pads should be good. I would really hope so, at any rate. Something like EBC, Fibrax, Galfer, Magura, etc. Not saying these are the best - and they're not much cheaper - but they really ought to be good products.

Alligator tends to be one of the better Asian aftermarket companies. They have a new(?) "Extreme Carbon" compound they're marketing as being their best low-metal-content pad and suited to higher temperatures, plus a sintered compound.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Any manufacturer that also provides aftermarket automotive pads should be good. I would really hope so, at any rate. Something like EBC, Fibrax, Galfer, Magura, etc. Not saying these are the best - and they're not much cheaper - but they really ought to be good products.

Alligator tends to be one of the better Asian aftermarket companies. They have a new(?) "Extreme Carbon" compound they're marketing as being their best low-metal-content pad and suited to higher temperatures, plus a sintered compound.
. Yea I have seen their pads for sale online a few times but never knew what to think of them. for a while I was buying pads off AliExpress and seeing if they were any good but didn't find anything either they Fowled the rotors or they wouldn't bed in properly. I know MEC sells cool stop pads they seem to have great reviews but they want 32 bucks a pad which in that case I might as well buy the $45 dollar Shimanos lol

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Yea I have seen their pads for sale online a few times but never knew what to think of them. for a while I was buying pads off AliExpress and seeing if they were any good but didn't find anything either they Fowled the rotors or they wouldn't bed in properly. I know MEC sells cool stop pads they seem to have great reviews but they want 32 bucks a pad which in that case I might as well buy the $45 dollar Shimanos lol

Even "good" brands (assuming that applies to Alligator) have some cheap compounds. Since you're hard on pads, it makes sense to try the best product from a given vendor.

Kool-Stop doesn't mention anything about their friction compounds, which always strikes me as a bad sign. Not much to go on.

Yeah, no sense gambling on a $32 unknown when $45 is guaranteed to get you a good product. For me, I've had good luck with DiscoBrake pads, where the price of one set of your Shimano pads gets me three sets. That said, I recognize things completely change for big guys: 100+ kg riders break parts in ways I never see with lighter riders.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022477
Mobile Version of Website