Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
Are Saints Overkill for a Enduro/Trail Bike? Am I better off saving some money and getting the Zees?
zees are more expensive than the saints...

I deffo want what you’re trippin on

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
I am experimenting with going from 28 speed with a 42/34/24 chainring 11-34 (9 spd) Shimano HG30 setup to a 30T single ring set up with a 11-40 T cassette.
Will I need to swap out my chain and or derailuer? If so do you have any recommendations?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
What brakes are you currently using. If they're Shimano you're better off buying the BR-MT520 calipers for your current levers and get nearly the exact same power and feel.

Currently got the stock SRAM Guide R and definetly need something beefier for Park and the alpine trails here.

Here you go.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-br-mt501-disc-brake-set-721660

Saint power for €100.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
Yh then another £100 for another set 5 months down the line when seals have given up .

Shimano = utterly pointless buy

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
Russ-l wrote:
I am experimenting with going from 28 speed with a 42/34/24 chainring 11-34 (9 spd) Shimano HG30 setup to a 30T single ring set up with a 11-40 T cassette.
Will I need to swap out my chain and or derailuer? If so do you have any recommendations?
yes, if the new 11-40 cassette is an 11 speed cassette, then you will need to switch out the cassette, shifter, derailleur, and chain. I recently did this to my old stumpy and was probably the best change i made, but if your planning to buy a new cassette i would definitely recommend going with a 11-50 cassette and such like the sram nx groupset, because you retain the same range high and low range as before, just with less cogs in between.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Russ-l wrote:
yes, if the new 11-40 cassette is an 11 speed cassette, then you will need to switch out the cassette, shifter, derailleur, and chain. I recently did this to my old stumpy and was probably the best change i made, but if your planning to buy a new cassette i would definitely recommend going with a 11-50 cassette and such like the sram nx groupset, because you retain the same range high and low range as before, just with less cogs in between.

I am staying with a 9 speed cassette.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
With a 9 speed cassette what size chain will I need? Can anyone help with specs on a derailuer?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Russ-l wrote:
With a 9 speed cassette what size chain will I need? Can anyone help with specs on a derailuer?

You need a 9-speed chain with a 9-speed cassette. Pretty straightforward.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
Russ-l wrote:

If you are sticking with a 9 speed cassette then stick with a 9 speed chain.

Or are you asking if your existing chain length (number of links) will be long enough for your new 1X system? If so, a 1X set up doesn't require more chain length than a 3X system, maybe less.

It sounds like you are trying to figure out if you need to also purchase a new chain along with the cassette and chainring, to which i would say, you probably should since its only $20 more and you won't have to worry about whether or not your old chain is too worn to play nice with your new cassette and chainring.

PS and you wouldn't need a new derailleur as a 3X system already is going to use the long cage der. There is a really remote possibility that maybe you need a Goat link or something to get the der's b tension adjustment far enough out but would risk not ordering that part until you confirm its an issue.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
jmartinbiking wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
Are Saints Overkill for a Enduro/Trail Bike? Am I better off saving some money and getting the Zees?

I deffo want what you’re trippin on

that's not want I meant to type at all LOL.
meant to say that the saints are more expensive which still doesn't really answer his question

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Russ-l wrote:

If you are sticking with a 9 speed cassette then stick with a 9 speed chain.

Or are you asking if your existing chain length (number of links) will be long enough for your new 1X system? If so, a 1X set up doesn't require more chain length than a 3X system, maybe less.

It sounds like you are trying to figure out if you need to also purchase a new chain along with the cassette and chainring, to which i would say, you probably should since its only $20 more and you won't have to worry about whether or not your old chain is too worn to play nice with your new cassette and chainring.

PS and you wouldn't need a new derailleur as a 3X system already is going to use the long cage der. There is a really remote possibility that maybe you need a Goat link or something to get the der's b tension adjustment far enough out but would risk not ordering that part until you confirm its an issue.

Thanks that answers my questions.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
I'm switching from organic to metallic pads on my XT brakes. Do I need to do anything other than a typical bed in procedure? Will be reusing the same ice-tech rotors.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I'm switching from organic to metallic pads on my XT brakes. Do I need to do anything other than a typical bed in procedure? Will be reusing the same ice-tech rotors.

Sand (lightly) and clean the rotors. Start new, different pad material

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
el-booto wrote:
*snip*
jimbomodder wrote:
Right I've stripped them this morning and here's the outcome.
Manitou Sherman project
seems the travel adjuster is missing from within the spring.
Negative

The travel adjust is only a 2pos deal, see that wee antenna sticking off the top of the spring shaft? That, when turned pushes a set of tapered ears out of two slots in the pushrod. When the ears get pushed through the sealhead and negative spring the flat sides on the base hold the fork in a reduced travel setting.
There should be a plastic piece in the one end of the spring, that is meant to engage the wire doohickey and the other end of the spring is keyed to the moving piece in the topcap.

See if it works, if not run run em wide open and don't even worry about the lockdown setting. It was pretty agricultural when it came out and they were notorious for expiring in short order...
yeah was thinking of just running them at max, 1st thing I gotta do those is service my other retro forks then I can work on these next.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

Tf are you smoking?

The zee and saint share a caliper, the difference is in the lever. The zee uses a deore m615 lever whereas the saint uses a lever more like that found on the xtr brakes. They produce equal power. If you don't need the added adjustments that come with the saint brakes buy the Zee's and save a buck.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020709
Mobile Version of Website