Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Doogie711 wrote:
roverred wrote:
Anybody have torque specs for a Race Face Atlas stem? Looking at their web site it just says "torque to stem specifications."

It's a 35mm Atlas stem, installing a One Up 35m carbon riser bar.

Thanks!!

It should say right on the side of the stem (top left side bolt). the website gallery shows 96-120 in/lbs

That's the spec for torquing the fasteners for the stem to the steer tube. I need the torque for the front cap to clamp the bars.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
roverred wrote:
Doogie711 wrote:
roverred wrote:
Anybody have torque specs for a Race Face Atlas stem? Looking at their web site it just says "torque to stem specifications."

Thanks!!

It should say right on the side of the stem (top left side bolt). the website gallery shows 96-120 in/lbs

That's the spec for torquing the fasteners for the stem to the steer tube. I need the torque for the front cap to clamp the bars.

go off of handlebar torque spec. use carbon assembly paste and dont over-torque

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
sosburn wrote:
roverred wrote:
Doogie711 wrote:

go off of handlebar torque spec. use carbon assembly paste and don't over-torque

I have emailed One Up as they don't list a torque spec on their site either. I have a torque wrench, so all I need is the number.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
roverred wrote:

Look on either the inside of the faceplate or the inside of the stem body before putting the bar on. I think that's where Raceface puts the torque spec for the faceplate bolts.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
roverred wrote:

Look on either the inside of the faceplate or the inside of the stem body before putting the bar on. I think that's where Raceface puts the torque spec for the faceplate bolts.

Tried that... it's worn and un-readable from the old bar.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
roverred wrote:
Tried that... it's worn and un-readable from the old bar.

My RF Turbine stem is 5NM for the faceplate bolts. I suspect Atlas is the same. Use carbon paste and 5NM should be plenty.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
4NM is usually enough however I would go on bar torque rather than risk overclamping a stem

Moving slowly from opposite bolts to the next until torqued approx to 4NM

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
4NM is usually enough however I would go on bar torque rather than risk overclamping a stem

Moving slowly from opposite bolts to the next until torqued approx to 4NM

Just heard from One Up. They say up to 6nM in the usual criss cross tightening pattern.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Coolio however not always neccessary to do up to max NM as I know

My stem & bars say 5NM but do to 4NM and haven’t died - YET!

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
Anyone know the nipple size for DT Swiss square drive internal nipples? PS it's not 3.2mm close, but not quite.

They're probably 14g. That's 2.0. They could also be 15g though, which is 1.8.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
seraph wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
Anyone know the nipple size for DT Swiss square drive internal nipples? PS it's not 3.2mm close, but not quite.

Dong want to appear like an arse, but us that not the spoke diameter?

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
seraph wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:

That's spoke diameter. It's also the size designation for nipples. You buy nipples sizes based on spoke size.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
seraph wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
seraph wrote:

That's spoke diameter. It's also the size designation for nipples. You buy nipples sizes based on spoke size.

Thank you, so the only square head internal nipple driver I can find is 3.2mm but its dlightly too small to fit the DT nipples. I'm stuck

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
It’s not unusual for new nipple drivers to be very snug. Are you sure you have a DT nipple?

There are others, and sizes do differ. Did the nipples you have come with a rim?

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
roverred wrote:
Doogie711 wrote:
roverred wrote:

Thanks!!

IDK if you found it yet, but they used to etch it on the clamping surface underneath the bar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014401
Mobile Version of Website