Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 23:03 Quote
heinous wrote:
It’s not unusual for new nipple drivers to be very snug. Are you sure you have a DT nipple?

There are others, and sizes do differ. Did the nipples you have come with a rim?

I've used three Park 4-sided spoke wrenches and all of them needed a little sanding on the inner faces to fit. I don't know if it's the tools that are undersized / poorly finished or the nipples that are oversized / poorly finished. Wouldn't surprise me if nipple drivers had the same problem.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
heinous wrote:
It’s not unusual for new nipple drivers to be very snug. Are you sure you have a DT nipple?

There are others, and sizes do differ. Did the nipples you have come with a rim?

I've used three Park 4-sided spoke wrenches and all of them needed a little sanding on the inner faces to fit. I don't know if it's the tools that are undersized / poorly finished or the nipples that are oversized / poorly finished. Wouldn't surprise me if nipple drivers had the same problem.
It's almost always the nipple, the anodization or nickel plate adds just enough thickness to make things tight.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 23:33 Quote
heinous wrote:

Yep definitely DT, My external nipple fits wrench is fine it's the internal one, https://www.parktool.com/product/internal-nipple-spoke-wrench-3-2mm-square-sw-16, that doesn't fit. I've measured the nipples and they avg out at 3.23mm. Just tolerances I guess. I'm going to open the tool out a little with a needle file.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
Anyone else ever get bushing play on a brand new Fox fork? My Factory 36 Grip2 has a small amount of movement between the stanchion and the seal that I can feel when I rock the front end back and forth with the front brake on. It's not the headset either.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Most forks have some bushing play. If you don't feel it, it's probably just the seals holding it in place. If a fork doesn't have some play straight out of the box, it will soon enough. The interference fit required to eliminate all play would have too much friction.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Most forks have some bushing play. If you don't feel it, it's probably just the seals holding it in place. If a fork doesn't have some play straight out of the box, it will soon enough. The interference fit required to eliminate all play would have too much friction.
This

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

It’s also quite possible your brake pads moving in the caliber are exacerbating what you’re feeling.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:10 Quote
heinous wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

It’s also quite possible your brake pads moving in the caliber are exacerbating what you’re feeling.

Pads do tend to slide around, which can feel like bushing or headset play if your hands are on the grips. When checking for bushing play, I wedge the fingers of one hand between the stanchion and arch, apply the front brake, and rock the bike back and forth.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
heinous wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Pads do tend to slide around, which can feel like bushing or headset play if your hands are on the grips. When checking for bushing play, I wedge the fingers of one hand between the stanchion and arch, apply the front brake, and rock the bike back and forth.

I'm putting my finger on the seal touching the stanchion when I check for bushing play.

Also my co-worker's fork doesn't have any bushing play, and he has about twice as many rides on his bike as I do.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
heinous wrote:

I'm putting my finger on the seal touching the stanchion when I check for bushing play.

Also my co-worker's fork doesn't have any bushing play, and he has about twice as many rides on his bike as I do.

A little play is normal. Enough to "clunk" is not. You're probably fine, but it's not easy to diagnose this across the internet!

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:29 Quote
heinous wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

This also can be a thing but yh bit of play is fine
No need to over analyse

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
My new giant trance 2 used to make a whirring sound when coasting, now after the shop work on the rear hub that sound has gone, would they have greased the hub, which may not had any grease before?

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
ballspoint wrote:
My new giant trance 2 used to make a whirring sound when coasting, now after the shop work on the rear hub that sound has gone, would they have greased the hub, which may not had any grease before?

If the buzzing noise is gone it could have to much grease in the freehub assembly, made this mistake once

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
ballspoint wrote:
Whirring noses could've been the rotor rubbing slightly on the caliper..

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016083
Mobile Version of Website