PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
This may be of assistance.

https://youtu.be/e_XpRZCLTX4
Awesome, seems easy enough.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:05 Quote
Pricey though. $75-100 for the 54t ratchets (18t or 36t aren't even worth the hassle). $100 for both of those drive ring tools. $50-75 for a Star Ratchet freehub and $20 for the spacer. For that much you could just buy a 350 or 240 hub and relace your wheel. Best option is the i9 101 hubs. 90 p.o.e. for under $300.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Pricey though. $75-100 for the 54t ratchets (18t or 36t aren't even worth the hassle). $100 for both of those drive ring tools. $50-75 for a Star Ratchet freehub and $20 for the spacer. For that much you could just buy a 350 or 240 hub and relace your wheel. Best option is the i9 101 hubs. 90 p.o.e. for under $300.
True. Likely just buy a 350 and re lace. SC bikes build specs suck a big one. These 370 hubs are lame.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
True. Likely just buy a 350 and re lace. SC bikes build specs suck a big one. These 370 hubs are lame.
They sure do. If you can find a donor 350 (maybe with thrashed bearings, or snapped axle being sold super cheap) you can probably make it worthwhile. LBS should have DT drive ring tools, and you could salvage the rest of the parts needed.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:

I recommend against the 54T:

1. It seems to be less reliable than the other versions
2. If you believe pedal kickback and derailleur clutch actuation during suspension compression adversely affect suspension function, a low engagement hub mostly eliminates these things. The former is rarely an issue and the latter is nonsense, but many people are concerned about it.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

2. If you believe pedal kickback and derailleur clutch actuation during suspension compression adversely affect suspension function, a low engagement hub mostly eliminates these things. The former is rarely an issue and the latter is nonsense, but many people are concerned about it.

I've got 54t ratchets on my road and mountain bikes. No problems so far. Bonus that they sound amazing.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 23:31 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

I've got 54t ratchets on my road and mountain bikes. No problems so far. Bonus that they sound amazing.

Naturally, neither of us have access to DT's in-house warranty statistics. All I know is that I've heard a few reports of failures from a small sample set (not a huge number of people have the 54T) and it seems to be a higher failure rate than DT's other versions. That said, axial engagement drivers tend to be more reliable than radial, so even if it's a bit less reliable, it's probably still better than most radial designs.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 1:09 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Naturally, neither of us have access to DT's in-house warranty statistics. All I know is that I've heard a few reports of failures from a small sample set (not a huge number of people have the 54T) and it seems to be a higher failure rate than DT's other versions. That said, axial engagement drivers tend to be more reliable than radial, so even if it's a bit less reliable, it's probably still better than most radial designs.
This.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:
They sure do. If you can find a donor 350 (maybe with thrashed bearings, or snapped axle being sold super cheap) you can probably make it worthwhile. LBS should have DT drive ring tools, and you could salvage the rest of the parts needed.
I’ve got 350s on my HT. Does the conversation work in reverse. From watching the video posted here it seems like all I would need is a seal to put the 3 pawl freebody back on the 350 on my HT. Any issues with that?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

All of the Expert and Pro Stumpjumpers for 2019 come stock with a 54t driver. So that's actually quite a few bikes.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

All of the Expert and Pro Stumpjumpers for 2019 come stock with a 54t driver. So that's actually quite a few bikes.

Perfect, we finally have a decent sample set. If it holds up as well as the other drivers, high(ish) engagement fans will have an axial-movement hub option.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
not so much a mecanical question but in hope that someone has any information. i am looking at purchasing a 4-wheeled adaptive bike. if anyone has any leads or ideas would be apreciated thank you

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

The early ones seemed to be much less reliable (I think these were the ones that initially only showed up in Bontrager hubs). The newer ones seem much better.

Really interesting to hear your points at 2 - someone was trying to convince me Hydra's were a bad idea a while back based on that.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
Hydras are pushing it when it comes to POE. I ran a 144 POE Project 321 hub and that was about as many points of engagement I need on the top end. Especially after watching the new Raw 100 and listening to that thing whine, I really don't want one.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
seraph wrote:
Hydras are pushing it when it comes to POE. I ran a 144 POE Project 321 hub and that was about as many points of engagement I need on the top end. Especially after watching the new Raw 100 and listening to that thing whine, I really don't want one.
I think they sound fantastic

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014128
Mobile Version of Website