Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
seraph wrote:
Hydras are pushing it when it comes to POE. I ran a 144 POE Project 321 hub and that was about as many points of engagement I need on the top end. Especially after watching the new Raw 100 and listening to that thing whine, I really don't want one.

The Hydra concept is fascinating - kinda brilliant, even.

First, some facts:

• High engagement hubs require fine teeth.
• The finer the teeth, the greater the risk of partial engagement.
• The most problematic form of partial engagement is when only one pawl is engaged.

When only one pawl is engaged, it puts all the load on one pawl and leaves the freebody less supported, leading to flex. This flex is hard on the bearings and the axle and, most problematic, it can cause the system to flex enough to disengage the one pawl. Disengaging under high load causes immediate damage.

The brilliance of Hydra is to create so many points of engagement that, in the event of partial engagement, the system flexes and the next POE is right there. Before damage or disengagement can occur, the other pawls engage on the next point over.

There several concerns, though:

• Manufacturing tolerances and cost.
• A small amount of debris / deposit / gunk in the system may prevent full engagement depth and allow slippage.
• The system has to be larger and heavier than an axial system with equal torque capacity.

The brilliance of Hydra, in one image:


Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
I think they're way too high-pitched. They don't even sound like they're clicking, more like whining. My ideal hub sound comes from the old E.13 hubs using Dri Slide to lubricate the pawls.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:49 Quote
yeah i have to say chris king is about as loud as id want a hub, hydra is ridiculous.
props to you if you can really take advantage of that many POE but just sayin, onyx hubs are completely silent...

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
I've not been bothered at all by the sound of my Hydra's. I might try some DumondeTech freehub grease purely out of interest at how it quietens them.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 20:52 Quote
Hydra hubs are not any louder than Kings or torch or star ratchets for that matter, they're just a little higher pitched than torch hubs.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 22:20 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Hydra hubs are not any louder than Kings or torch or star ratchets for that matter, they're just a little higher pitched than torch hubs.

They're obnoxiously high-pitched Mad

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
Hi everyone, first time posting on this forum..
I have an old 2007 Norco Bigfoot with marzocchi drop off 4 150mm forks. The forks were "upgraded" by the previous owner... Where does a spacer go to reduce the overall height / travel of the fork? I thought I installed it where it should go but there was no change in top out height..

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Hydra hubs are not any louder than Kings or torch or star ratchets for that matter, they're just a little higher pitched than torch hubs.

They're obnoxiously high-pitched Mad

No accounting for taste Wink

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
Hi all, I've been finding the world of rear axles to be a particularly confusing and painful one. I've currently got a set of WTB i25 rims laced to novatec DHT142S hubs and its given me nothing but headaches. The lock nut has repeatedly been coming loose giving the whole wheel loads of side to side play and the rim has bent in more ways than I knew was possible! Here are a few pictures of the axle so you know what style it is:

Before this bike I had a DH bike with DT Swiss FR1950 wheels which were excellent, after four years of abuse they still run true and smoothly without any play. I noticed that they seem to have a different style of axle:

I'm currently looking to upgrade my cheapy WTB Wheels to a nice set of Hunt Enduro Wides:
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/mtb-wheels/products/hunt-endurowide-mtb-wheelset?variant=12211070566477

I wanted to check that these come with the same style of axle as the DT Swiss wheels had? I never want to deal with the lock nut issues again! lol

Cheers for any help

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Hi all, I've been finding the world of rear axles to be a particularly confusing and painful one. I've currently got a set of WTB i25 rims laced to novatec DHT142S hubs and its given me nothing but headaches. The lock nut has repeatedly been coming loose giving the whole wheel loads of side to side play and the rim has bent in more ways than I knew was possible! Here are a few pictures of the axle so you know what style it is:

Before this bike I had a DH bike with DT Swiss FR1950 wheels which were excellent, after four years of abuse they still run true and smoothly without any play. I noticed that they seem to have a different style of axle:

I'm currently looking to upgrade my cheapy WTB Wheels to a nice set of Hunt Enduro Wides:
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/mtb-wheels/products/hunt-endurowide-mtb-wheelset?variant=12211070566477

I wanted to check that these come with the same style of axle as the DT Swiss wheels had? I never want to deal with the lock nut issues again! lol

Cheers for any help
if you get DT Swiss 350 or 240 hubs, you will never have any issues with them.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
if you get DT Swiss 350 or 240 hubs, you will never have any issues with them.

They do look good. I would quite like to support Hunt as a company though if the axles are the same style, they're based pretty near to me

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
Hunt just makes rims. You can lace them to anything.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
Hunt just makes rims. You can lace them to anything.

I cant see a rim only option on their website, plus I like the idea of the RapidEngage hubs that they come with. I just wanted to check if anyone knew which axle style they came with as opposed what other options there are

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
seraph wrote:
Hunt just makes rims. You can lace them to anything.

I cant see a rim only option on their website, plus I like the idea of the RapidEngage hubs that they come with. I just wanted to check if anyone knew which axle style they came with as opposed what other options there are

Here. And what I mean is that Hunt makes the rims, they don't make the hubs.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
seraph wrote:

Here. And what I mean is that Hunt makes the rims, they don't make the hubs.

I see what you mean, most companies outsource hubs anyway so I'm not too fussed about that. It'll be easier to buy it as a full wheelset anyway, I dont trust myself with wheel building haha


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033191
Mobile Version of Website