Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
seraph wrote:

Here. And what I mean is that Hunt makes the rims, they don't make the hubs.

I see what you mean, most companies outsource hubs anyway so I'm not too fussed about that. It'll be easier to buy it as a full wheelset anyway, I dont trust myself with wheel building haha

That's fair, but when you buy the rim you get to choose your own hub. Unless of course they already have a complete wheel with the hub that you want.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
That's fair, but when you buy the rim you get to choose your own hub. Unless of course they already have a complete wheel with the hub that you want.

Thats a really good service, didn't realise they'd do that. I don't suppose you know how many degrees there are between engagements on either the 350 or 240 hubs? If I end up paying more to get them I'd rather not forfeit the engagement too much. Cheers

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thats a really good service, didn't realise they'd do that. I don't suppose you know how many degrees there are between engagements on either the 350 or 240 hubs? If I end up paying more to get them I'd rather not forfeit the engagement too much. Cheers

I'm not saying they will let you choose the hub, I mean if you buy a rim you can choose which hub to lace it to. You still have to get them laced somewhere, or do it yourself. I build all my own wheels, I never leave it to someone else.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
IIRC Hunt only offer their complete wheels with their own hubs (which are possibly rebranded Novatecs, as is probably the case with a lot of brands at that price point). You could buy just a rim and have your LBS build it up with your hub and spokes of choice, but Hunt only seem to list gravel/road options as rim-only on their site - MTB stuff is all complete wheelsets. You could always drop them an email and ask though?

DT240/350 are both 20deg engagement with the standard 18T driver, 10deg if upgraded to the 36T, or 6.6deg upgraded to the 54T. It's super simple to fit the upgrade if you decide to add it at a later date.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
seraph wrote:

A 240 will come with a 36T star ratchet while the 350 will come with an 18T star ratchet; i.e. about 10 and 20 degrees respectively, not as good as their in house brand hubs with get 3 degree

FYI @seraph, it seems like they do have some kind of hub that is their "in-house" hub not its not available as a stand alone product and I'm also not seeing tech specs for those hubs listed on their website.

@james-skipper, couldn't find an exploded diagram pdf (like i would have liked) but found these vids in the help section that give you a really clear view of the hubs and how they accept adaptors.

https://help.huntbikewheels.com/support/solutions/articles/43000456123-fitting-front-axle-adapters-to-all-4-season-wheelsets

Punchline, they do not work like either your old novatec or DT Swiss hubs.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
FYI @seraph, it seems like they do have some kind of hub that is their "in-house" hub not its not available as a stand alone product and I'm also not seeing tech specs for those hubs listed on their website.

I'm aware they have their own hub. I was only recommending getting a rim separately and lacing up your own wheel.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
@OneBanana @freestyIAM thanks guys that's really handy information! By the sounds of things I think I'll stick to the stock hub that comes with the wheelset and see how I get on. If I end up having any issues with it I'll go ahead and get the LBS to swap it over with a DT Swiss 350 which I'll upgrade to the 54t ratchet

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
seraph wrote:

Here. And what I mean is that Hunt makes the rims, they don't make the hubs.

I see what you mean, most companies outsource hubs anyway so I'm not too fussed about that. It'll be easier to buy it as a full wheelset anyway, I dont trust myself with wheel building haha

Lacing is time consuming but easy, just copy another wheel an as long as you can count to 4.. your'e good Big Grin
then I pass em to a pro wheel builder to finish off for like £10

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Lacing is time consuming but easy, just copy another wheel an as long as you can count to 4.. your'e good Big Grin
then I pass em to a pro wheel builder to finish off for like £10

Yeah its the finishing off bit that I doubt I can get right, thats not a bad idea if I ended up having to go down that road

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 2:15 Quote
I'm looking at upping the travel on my Orbea Occam AM - it's currently 150mm F&R with the standard Fox Float DPS EVOL shock and my trusty pair of Marzocchi 350CR up front, but I've been offered a set of Pike RCT3 160mm with an Avalanche cartridge so they sit higher in their travel. As I currently get quite a bit of pedal strike, my question is what would happen if I swapped out the Float shock (210x55) for a DHX2 coil (200x77 / 400lb)? Am I right in thinking that the reduced shock length would also drop my BB height even further? So basically, changing to the DHX2 would be a bad move? I'm 6'4" so the higher front end would be welcome, but I don't want to throw the rear geo out of whack.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
Gazzamatazzzz wrote:
[ ... ] what would happen if I swapped out the Float shock (210x55) for a DHX2 coil (200x77 / 400lb)? Am I right in thinking that the reduced shock length would also drop my BB height even further? So basically, changing to the DHX2 would be a bad move?

Yes, the shorter eye-to-eye will create a lower static height. The longer stroke will make the problem even worse by increasing travel.

This shock simply won't work due to the longer stroke: the tire will hit the seat tube and the link will hit the frame.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 4:47 Quote
]
Gazzamatazzzz wrote:
[ ... ] what would happen if I swapped out the Float shock (210x55) for a DHX2 coil (200x77 / 400lb)? Am I right in thinking that the reduced shock length would also drop my BB height even further? So basically, changing to the DHX2 would be a bad move?

I really wouldnt mess around changing shock dimensions, youre asking for trouble doing that. If you want to play with the geometry id get offset bushings

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
Complete Newb: I'm a long time roadie (since the 70s) and I just bought my first mountain bike in about 30 years. While I'm a competent wrench on road bikes, I have no idea how to set up, adjust and maintain the XT hydraulic brakes and the Reba fork that came on it. Any good reference sites out there to start on? I do all my own work and I'd like to keep it that way on the new (to me) El Mariachi.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
LewisMoon wrote:
Complete Newb: I'm a long time roadie (since the 70s) and I just bought my first mountain bike in about 30 years. While I'm a competent wrench on road bikes, I have no idea how to set up, adjust and maintain the XT hydraulic brakes and the Reba fork that came on it. Any good reference sites out there to start on? I do all my own work and I'd like to keep it that way on the new (to me) El Mariachi.

for brakes, i think Evo has a video on how to bleed XT brakes. id link it but im on mobile.
https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-bleed-shimano-brakes

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
sosburn wrote:
LewisMoon wrote:

for brakes, i think Evo has a video on how to bleed XT brakes. id link it but im on mobile.
https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-bleed-shimano-brakes

Plenty of stuff on youtube, the Reba is also really easy to work on and pretty much the same as any other rock shox fork with the same air spring and motion control damper.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020039
Mobile Version of Website