Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
hi guys , ive got my dhx rc4 recently serviced but noticed that it is leaking oil form under the rebound knob , does anyone know what my problem is ?
How long ago was it serviced? If you just got it back is possible a touch of oil was hiding under the rebound knob and wasn't noticed until it got some dust on it. Try cleaning it up and see if it continues.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 4:13 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
hi guys , ive got my dhx rc4 recently serviced but noticed that it is leaking oil form under the rebound knob , does anyone know what my problem is ?
How long ago was it serviced? If you just got it back is possible a touch of oil was hiding under the rebound knob and wasn't noticed until it got some dust on it. Try cleaning it up and see if it continues.

ok thanks

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
just installed new Shimano XT 4 piston brake set. The brake pads rattle badly when not under braking. Obviously not felt when climbing, but when descending even at slow speeds they rattle. Vibrations are felt through the entire bike and its very noisy and uncomfortable. Under braking everything is silent and works really well.
I have tried stretching the springs out between the pads....but that didn't make any difference. I've also been advised to try advancing the pistons before putting the pads into the caliper, but have yet to try that. Any other bright ideas on how to eliminate the pad rattle ?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
hyroller80 wrote:
just installed new Shimano XT 4 piston brake set. The brake pads rattle badly when not under braking. Obviously not felt when climbing, but when descending even at slow speeds they rattle. Vibrations are felt through the entire bike and its very noisy and uncomfortable. Under braking everything is silent and works really well.
I have tried stretching the springs out between the pads....but that didn't make any difference. I've also been advised to try advancing the pistons before putting the pads into the caliper, but have yet to try that. Any other bright ideas on how to eliminate the pad rattle ?

Extending the pistons is very easy. Just take out the pads and *very carefully* pull the brake lever until the pistons come out a tiny bit (around 0.5 to 1 mm ). If they come out too far then push them back with something that will not damage/scratch them, such as a plastic tyre lever. Make sure all the pistons stick out an equal amount.

If that does not help you could put a small dab of copper paste between the pads and the pistons. This is a trick that usually done to prevent the pads from squealing and resonating, but may help with the rattle as well.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
hyroller80 wrote:
just installed new Shimano XT 4 piston brake set. The brake pads rattle badly when not under braking. Obviously not felt when climbing, but when descending even at slow speeds they rattle. Vibrations are felt through the entire bike and its very noisy and uncomfortable. Under braking everything is silent and works really well.
I have tried stretching the springs out between the pads....but that didn't make any difference. I've also been advised to try advancing the pistons before putting the pads into the caliper, but have yet to try that. Any other bright ideas on how to eliminate the pad rattle ?
Do you have the pad springs in place? You've been asking this for like a week, it's probably time to go see your local bike shop

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
hyroller80 wrote:
just installed new Shimano XT 4 piston brake set. The brake pads rattle badly when not under braking. Obviously not felt when climbing, but when descending even at slow speeds they rattle. Vibrations are felt through the entire bike and its very noisy and uncomfortable. Under braking everything is silent and works really well.
I have tried stretching the springs out between the pads....but that didn't make any difference. I've also been advised to try advancing the pistons before putting the pads into the caliper, but have yet to try that. Any other bright ideas on how to eliminate the pad rattle ?
Do you have the pad springs in place? You've been asking this for like a week, it's probably time to go see your local bike shop

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
Hey guys, Im installing a Wheels mfg bb, its threaded and 30mm and outboard if that matters, the cranks going in are sewings which have a preload adjuster. Do I still have to use the wave washer ?and if so what side does it go on? Picked up the bb used so no instructions with it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
slaker wrote:
Hey guys, Im installing a Wheels mfg bb, its threaded and 30mm and outboard if that matters, the cranks going in are sewings which have a preload adjuster. Do I still have to use the wave washer ?and if so what side does it go on? Picked up the bb used so no instructions with it.

You either use a wave washer or you use a preload collar. But not both.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
Hi, anyone know if I can restore the carbon finish on my 2017 stumpy?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
hi guys , ive got my dhx rc4 recently serviced but noticed that it is leaking oil form under the rebound knob , does anyone know what my problem is ?

Assembly fluid so nada to worry bout k

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
sjb1781 wrote:
Hi, anyone know if I can restore the carbon finish on my 2017 stumpy?

Yes it can be done.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
sjb1781 wrote:
Hi, anyone know if I can restore the carbon finish on my 2017 stumpy?

Yes it can be done.


Hmmmm how !? Care to share to the chap with the Q

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
seraph wrote:
slaker wrote:
Hey guys, Im installing a Wheels mfg bb, its threaded and 30mm and outboard if that matters, the cranks going in are sewings which have a preload adjuster. Do I still have to use the wave washer ?and if so what side does it go on? Picked up the bb used so no instructions with it.

You either use a wave washer or you use a preload collar. But not both.
Thanks !

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
How would I get a shock bolt, that is stripped, out of my Bronson? It’s the head of the bolt not the threads.

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:57 Quote
Bradleywb93 wrote:
How would I get a shock bolt, that is stripped, out of my Bronson? It’s the head of the bolt not the threads.
Internal hex (allen screw)?

Find the imperial size socket that is larger than the one you stripped out and file/grind a taper on it. Drive it into the hole and back it out.

A little hint for the future. If you have one that is a bit loose, dip the tool in water and roll it in some granular powder cleanser like comet. This will take the slop out of the tool and give it more bite.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015187
Mobile Version of Website