Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
Or a screw extractor kit would work well too.

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 21:10 Quote
My buddy has a 2003 Ellsworth dare that he wants to resurrect it currently has a 8 speed drive train and he wants to put a 9 speed on it to get the advantage of a clutch derailliuer. will a 9 speed fit on a old hub like that

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
My buddy has a 2003 Ellsworth dare that he wants to resurrect it currently has a 8 speed drive train and he wants to put a 9 speed on it to get the advantage of a clutch derailliuer. will a 9 speed fit on a old hub like that
iirc 8,9,10 all use the same HG Driver.

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 21:17 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Okay just making sure it doesn't look like there's room for another cog

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 21:27 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

the spacers between the cassette get thinner, chain gets thinner, enough to fit more cogs. He could probably even fit NX Eagle cassette on there if he wanted

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
spaceofades wrote:

the spacers between the cassette get thinner, chain gets thinner, enough to fit more cogs. He could probably even fit NX Eagle cassette on there if he wanted

I think we are gunna go Shimano zee as it's cheap

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 4:04 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

I think we are gunna go Shimano zee as it's cheap
. Zee is 10 speed, there is a hack to use a 9speed SRAM shifter with a 10 speed Shimano derailleur that works ok

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 4:25 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
jibb wrote:
Any ideas on how to remove an expander from a carbon steerer? There is no receiver for an Allen key above or below the threads for the topcap bolt. I marked the two metal faces with a sharpie and tried tapping the bolt with a mallet but the whole expander moved down the inside of the steerer tube. What should I do?
Do you have a picture of the unit?
Better late than never Blank Stare

Thanks

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
Tap it out

Going two taps around so it evenly removes itself then pops out bottom of crown

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Tap it out

Going two taps around so it evenly removes itself then pops out bottom of crown

There is no opening at the bottom of the steerer.
Thanks though

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
Looks like a compression plug. Rethread the bolt in a bit with the top cap to hold the position and tap it with a rubber/dead blow/ synthetic mallet. This should cause the expanders to go back to the installation position.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:30 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Looks like a compression plug. Rethread the bolt in a bit and tap it with a rubber/dead blow/ synthetic mallet. This should cause the expanders to go back to the installation position.
Thats what I did but the result was that the sleeve was sliding further into the steerer tube with the wedge.
Thanks

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:48 Quote
Hmmm what fork is it?

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
Tap another carbon steerer bung plug in on top of the lowered one that looks like your only option tbh

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 6:10 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Hmmm what fork is it?
Rockshox sid

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015908
Mobile Version of Website