Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Yes, same caliper different lever.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Hey guys, I broke the chainstay on my 2014 Specialized Enduro Comp 29" and unfortunately I can't get that part anymore. Doe anyone know if there are any other models that would be compatible with my bike?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
ggreen21 wrote:
Hey guys, I broke the chainstay on my 2014 Specialized Enduro Comp 29" and unfortunately I can't get that part anymore. Doe anyone know if there are any other models that would be compatible with my bike?

Pretty much all you can do at this point is either look for a new frame, or a parts frame you can scavenge.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
I have a Trek Fuel EX 7 with a dropper post. Lately I've noticed the seat can rattle side to side very slightly. It's not the seat loose on the post (checked) and it's not the post assembly loose in the seat tube (checked). It's definitely the post assembly itsself having a bit of play. Is this a normal part of wear and tear, or is something getting ready to give out?
For the record, the rattle isn't big enough to be a bother, just something I noticed.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:
I have a Trek Fuel EX 7 with a dropper post. Lately I've noticed the seat can rattle side to side very slightly. It's not the seat loose on the post (checked) and it's not the post assembly loose in the seat tube (checked). It's definitely the post assembly itsself having a bit of play. Is this a normal part of wear and tear, or is something getting ready to give out?
For the record, the rattle isn't big enough to be a bother, just something I noticed.

I don't have that helpful of a comment, but the Bontrager dropper posts aren't the greatest yet and from my understanding have a bit of a reputation for having a bit of play. Don't know how to fix it, but it is a thing.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:
Every dropper post is keyed in some way to prevent rotation. ALL key systems (exlcuding needlebearing systems like that on the lefty) will have some side to side play, if this play was not there the post would bind. Don't worry about it completely normal.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 20:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Every dropper post is keyed in some way to prevent rotation. ALL key systems (exlcuding needlebearing systems like that on the lefty) will have some side to side play, if this play was not there the post would bind. Don't worry about it completely normal.

Thank you!

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 21:51 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
DennisETaylor wrote:

Exactly - welcome to the world of droppers

My brand x jobby literally jolts down over bumps seated and has loadsa all direction play since new but was £75

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 23:50 Quote
Is there anything I can do to shorten the metal coupling at the base of my rockshox reverb stealth so that i can insert it farther into my frame? I have a 2018 nomad c medium and the reverb stealth doesnt seem to fit all the way down when in some pictures i see online, it does fit all the way.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 0:38 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Is there anything I can do to shorten the metal coupling at the base of my rockshox reverb stealth so that i can insert it farther into my frame? I have a 2018 nomad c medium and the reverb stealth doesnt seem to fit all the way down when in some pictures i see online, it does fit all the way.

If you're running the Connectamajig, you can get a fitting to replace it and give you a little bit of room. But the newest generation of Reverb has a super stubby base. Not sure it's compatible with the older ones.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
Got a new shock and don't have a vice at home... is walking into a bike shop with a 6 pack of good beer a fair enough offer for them to press hardware out of old shock and into new shock? Seems like a pretty quick job but I don't want to bodge it with a hammer and risk trashing the bushings or hardware...would pay em for their time as well, obviously depends how busy they are if they will do it on the spot so I can ride it tomorrow.

Just don't want to be an ass if no bueno.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Got a new shock and don't have a vice at home... is walking into a bike shop with a 6 pack of good beer a fair enough offer for them to press hardware out of old shock and into new shock? Seems like a pretty quick job but I don't want to bodge it with a hammer and risk trashing the bushings or hardware...would pay em for their time as well, obviously depends how busy they are if they will do it on the spot so I can ride it tomorrow.

Just don't want to be an ass if no bueno.

Depends on the shop. If it's a super slow day at a laid-back shop, that might work. Many shops are trying to be more professional - and profitable - and have rigid policies. I worked at one shop over ten years ago that was completely inflexible: $10 if we laid a hand on the bike, then $1/minute for labour.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
I work for a big chain store and we're usually pretty laid back when it comes to hooking people up with jobs that require specific tools. But you might want to rethink the sixpack thing. We've got so much beer in the tech department from people bringing in "motivational beer" that we'll never get through it all. Also a lot of us don't drink. So maybe bring in some coffee and pastries, or fresh baked bread instead.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
Depends on the shop for sure.

Where I worked I would have done most things for a pack of tins or coffee and a pastry, but then I was in a slow shop and underpaid.

Where as there are definitely shops that are run much better probably wouldn't do that.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up a vice pretty cheap btw, probably not much more expensive than the pack of tins

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Depends on the shop for sure.

Where I worked I would have done most things for a pack of tins or coffee and a pastry, but then I was in a slow shop and underpaid.

Where as there are definitely shops that are run much better probably wouldn't do that.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up a vice pretty cheap btw, probably not much more expensive than the pack of tins

Wasn't so much asking if beer instead of money was acceptable, more is it a small enough job to ask them to do it on the spot versus booking in... but yeah totally depends how busy they are I know.

I'd buy a vice but I don't have a workbench and won't until we move somewhere that I can have one... the joys of living in extremely expensive Vancouver.

Active Forum Threads
1 mins ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
6 mins ago - shimano brakes; swap olive fitting for banjo?
44 mins ago - 2019 Stoudts Cross - PACX Cyclocross Racing at Stoudts Brewing Co., Adamstown, PA 11/3
57 mins ago - Santa Cruz Hightower LT
1 hours ago - Transition Patrol or Santa Cruz Bronson?
1 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
1 hours ago - 2017 Meta 4.2
2 hours ago - The official BOS thread
2 hours ago - Bird Aeris owners thread
2 hours ago - Cant re-import deleted strava ride logs from trailfork
2 hours ago - Girls Still Definitely Suck
2 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
2 hours ago - WE supply gold nuggets and gold bars for sale 98.4% +27613119008 in US,Canada Uk,France ,Switzerland,
2 hours ago - 1000rand Potassium Cyanide Both Pills And Powder KCN 99.99% +27613119008 in Bloemfontein
2 hours ago - London Bring Back Lost Love Spell Caster +27734818506 in Tasmania Victoria West Norway Hull London MISSOURI Algeria
2 hours ago - +27613119008 SSD CHEMICAL SOLUTION FOR CLEANING BLACK POUND AND Activation Powder IN SouthAfrica,Namibia,Botswana
2 hours ago - Cocaine Buy Online, Where to buy cocaine, Honey Cocaine
2 hours ago - BILLIONAIRES CLUB HOW TO JOIN 666 ILLUMINATI SECRET SOCIETY FOR MONEY +27734818506 ?IN Bloemfontein Freestate Namibia,Cyprus
2 hours ago - Release date for S-Works Enduro Frame availability
3 hours ago - Holdiay pricing/Custom Bike Build
3 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
3 hours ago - show off your Santa Cruz
3 hours ago - Bike security
3 hours ago - Jeffsy 29er Thread
3 hours ago - 2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013909
Mobile Version of Website