Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
What are the alternatives to a fox sls spring for a dhx2? As far as weight and fitment. I know I shouldn’t care but I’m building a new bike and the orange just isn’t going to look good.

Cane Creek Valt

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sherbet wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Ah, right, because DOT fluid absorbs water, while mineral oil doesn't, so I can imagine an ice plug forming in a contaminated mineral oil system.

Mineral oil also freezes at -5/-10c. We sell a ton of fatbikes and very very often swap the brakes to base level Sram units as Shimano literally cannot handle past -10c.
Sherb is correct

Ok, sweet, thanks for all the help again guys.

In general, if I just bike on snow (not any salt or misc grit from the usual winter streets), should my bike be fine assuming I dry it, lube the chain and whatnot? (a nice dual suspension bike).

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
sosburn wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
What are the alternatives to a fox sls spring for a dhx2? As far as weight and fitment. I know I shouldn’t care but I’m building a new bike and the orange just isn’t going to look good.

Cane Creek Valt
Thanks. Black, seems to get good reviews, and should come in around 320g for my size.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
In general, if I just bike on snow (not any salt or misc grit from the usual winter streets), should my bike be fine assuming I dry it, lube the chain and whatnot? (a nice dual suspension bike).

Not necessarily.

The drivetrain will last forever if you're just riding snow: totally clean, reduced torque, reduced mileage.

Sliding components may not. I've seen some forks, shocks, and droppers that didn't handle the cold very well. Some rubber and plastic items may crack in extreme cold. Your rear hub's driver mechanism will really benefit from a thinner lubricant. Even if your hydraulic items aren't damaged, they usually work rather poorly if you don't swap the damping and lubrication fluids to something much thinner. Bearings can also benefit from thinner grease in extreme cold.

Others with more experience in extreme cold can take it from here; just wanted to convey what I've observed.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
I have a shock length question, I was thinking of getting Marino bikes to build me a.custom steel full suspension frame, but most of his frames come with 150mm travel I wanted 160 they asked me for a shock length is there a dedicated shock size for 160mm travel? My brain tells me no but I thought I would ask

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
I have a shock length question, I was thinking of getting Marino bikes to build me a.custom steel full suspension frame, but most of his frames come with 150mm travel I wanted 160 they asked me for a shock length is there a dedicated shock size for 160mm travel? My brain tells me no but I thought I would ask

No depends on LR (overall)

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 21:40 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

Just email him. I was just googling Marino fullsuspensions yesterday and found one with ~160mm of travel.

He also doesn't list 165 shock as an option but I emailed him and he told that he could do it.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 0:03 Quote
Wale wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Just email him. I was just googling Marino fullsuspensions yesterday and found one with ~160mm of travel.

He also doesn't list 165 shock as an option but I emailed him and he told that he could do it.

I did email him and I got a generic answer of we build fully customizable frames, can you please.provide us with a shock length of the shock you plan on using

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 0:31 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Wale wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

I did email him and I got a generic answer of we build fully customizable frames, can you please.provide us with a shock length of the shock you plan on using

Shock length and shock travel is independent of suspension travel. For example 180mm shock with 80mm of travel could fit a 160mm bike with a leverage ratio of 2:1. It is the frame design and suspension characteristics which determine shock sizing and travel.

Ask them what they reccomend a d go from there

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 0:38 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Wale wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Almost any shock length can be used to produce almost any amount of travel. Industry standard recommendation is for the leverage ratio (travel:stroke) to be about 2:1 - 3:1.

I recall you're a big guy, so it would be ideal to keep it close to 2:1. For 160 mm of travel, this is about 80 mm of stroke. The longest, readily-available stroke is 75 mm, which would give a ratio of 2.13. That ought to work nicely.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Wale wrote:

Almost any shock length can be used to produce almost any amount of travel. Industry standard recommendation is for the leverage ratio (travel:stroke) to be about 2:1 - 3:1.

I recall you're a big guy, so it would be ideal to keep it close to 2:1. For 160 mm of travel, this is about 80 mm of stroke. The longest, readily-available stroke is 75 mm, which would give a ratio of 2.13. That ought to work nicely.

Thanks for the info man it's much appreciated

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

Salute

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
Anyone got any cool looking top cap recommendations that are gold, orange/yellow, or black?

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Anyone got any cool looking top cap recommendations that are gold, orange/yellow, or black?
fox makes a kashima one don't they? And KCNC makes a variety of colours

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

230x65 is a pretty common size these days too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017065
Mobile Version of Website