Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Almost any shock length can be used to produce almost any amount of travel. Industry standard recommendation is for the leverage ratio (travel:stroke) to be about 2:1 - 3:1.

I recall you're a big guy, so it would be ideal to keep it close to 2:1. For 160 mm of travel, this is about 80 mm of stroke. The longest, readily-available stroke is 75 mm, which would give a ratio of 2.13. That ought to work nicely.

Thanks for the info man it's much appreciated
230x65 is a pretty common size these days too.
Okay good to know I found a Cane Creek double barrel that was 250x75 but it had an $800 price tag lol

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Anyone got any cool looking top cap recommendations that are gold, orange/yellow, or black?

Deity makes a neat looking one.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Anyone got any cool looking top cap recommendations that are gold, orange/yellow, or black?

Burgtec

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 1:45 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Okay good to know I found a Cane Creek double barrel that was 250x75 but it had an $800 price tag lol

Jenson has the DVO Jade for CAD$527 (plus spring) in strokes up to 89 mm. Here's a search with filters in place for long strokes.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 4:03 Quote
You can also buy the Jade direct from DVO for the same price along with the coil.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 4:51 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
You can also buy the Jade direct from DVO for the same price along with the coil.

Even better!

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 7:00 Quote
There's a DVO forum on here, reach out to finalgear. He can help you out as well.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Thanks for the info man it's much appreciated
230x65 is a pretty common size these days too.

Jenson usually has 15-20% discounts you can get. I used code SAVE20 to get 20% off a CC DB about 2 weeks ago.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
I need some help with getting out this axle.

Bearings are toast, partially seized, you can't twist the axle by hand without really getting into it. Funny enough, there is enough leverage in the frame that i didn't even notice it until taking it apart....

Pushing it out by hand doesn't work.
Tapping it with soft head hammer doesn't work.
Hitting it with soft head hammer doesn't work.
Soaking it in WD40 overnight and going postal on it with soft head hammer doesn't work.

Any ideas on what to try next? Axle is hollow, aluminium and looks thick enough to take some pounding. Bearings are expandable.
Frame is Propain Spindrift

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
shoshy wrote:

Bearings are toast, partially seized, you can't twist the axle by hand without really getting into it. Funny enough, there is enough leverage in the frame that i didn't even notice it until taking it apart....

Soaking it in WD40 overnight and going postal on it with soft head hammer doesn't work.

Any ideas on what to try next? Axle is hollow, aluminium and looks thick enough to take some pounding. Bearings are expandable.
Thread the bolt into the end to prevent thread damage and break out the dead blow.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
shoshy wrote:

You can either try cutting it with a thin saw blade, or drill it gradually with larger drill bit a time till it's weak enough to remove it. This means you'll need a new axle and bearings, hitting the axle with a properly heavy hammer while protecting it with a solid chunk of wood. Make sure you are trying to remove the axle the from the correct side.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
Can I just use any 0w-30 oil in my Lyrik's lower legs? There are C3, C2 and A5/B5. Is there any major difference between these three?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
Hi i'm a newbie
Started enduro 3 months ago and i dont have any clue about what tire pressures i need
So İm 102kg with kit ,30mm internal rim and 170mm travel
What pressure should i use for base line?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
Wale wrote:
Can I just use any 0w-30 oil in my Lyrik's lower legs? There are C3, C2 and A5/B5. Is there any major difference between these three?
I'm assuming these are all RS fluids? If so any of the three sould be fine as will land 0w30 suspension oil. Motor oil additive packages don't usually mix well with suspension components and can cause premature wear.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Hi i'm a newbie
Started enduro 3 months ago and i dont have any clue about what tire pressures i need
So İm 102kg with kit ,30mm internal rim and 170mm travel
What pressure should i use for base line?

I'd say somewhere between 20-30 psi. I personally run 25-28 psi depending on conditions (same situation, but I'm ~68 kg).

If you run tubeless you can get away with running lower pressures as you can't pinch flat then (although it'll increase your chance of rolling your tire, but you can get a cushcore for that).

Really it depends on a lot of factors (terrain, riding style, conditions, weight, etc), but I'd try starting at 26-28 psi and seeing how that goes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021694
Mobile Version of Website