Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
So I guess the online shop where iI ordered my bleed kit messed up. Now I've got a bottle of DOT4 instead of DOT5. I'm guessing I can go ahead and use it anyways since it says "only Dot5.1 and DOT4" on my Guides. Only wanted to do a small lever bleed or do I have to do a full bleed now?

Dot 5 is different from dot 5.1 and is not compatible with dot 4! See: https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/
He doesn't have for 5 in anything. It's just a typo.

He stated that he bought dot 4 and he has guides. Guides are dot 4 and 5.1 compatible, as he stated.

His dot 4 will work fine.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
So I guess the online shop where iI ordered my bleed kit messed up. Now I've got a bottle of DOT4 instead of DOT5. I'm guessing I can go ahead and use it anyways since it says "only Dot5.1 and DOT4" on my Guides. Only wanted to do a small lever bleed or do I have to do a full bleed now?

Dot 5 is different from dot 5.1 and is not compatible with dot 4! See: https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/
He doesn't have for 5 in anything. It's just a typo.

Yeah sorry for the typo. It was meant to be 5.1.

He stated that he bought dot 4 and he has guides. Guides are dot 4 and 5.1 compatible, as he stated.

His dot 4 will work fine.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Anyone ever see a kevlar bead on a tire seperate from the tire? Do you think that is something maxxis would warrenty ?

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
I've seen the sidewall start to fail near the bead causing the tire to not run true. Warranty covers manufacturer defects. It's very difficult to warranty wear items such as tires, chains, brakes pads etc. If the tire came damaged or the damage occurred after only a few rides you might have a chance. In my ~7 years working at shops I've only ever successfully warrantied 3 tires.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
I've seen the sidewall start to fail near the bead causing the tire to not run true. Warranty covers manufacturer defects. It's very difficult to warranty wear items such as tires, chains, brakes pads etc. If the tire came damaged or the damage occurred after only a few rides you might have a chance. In my ~7 years working at shops I've only ever successfully warrantied 3 tires.
Yea thats kinda what happened I took the tire off the rim and I can stick my fingers in between the layers of tire .. and no they aren't new had them since the spring

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Yea thats kinda what happened I took the tire off the rim and I can stick my fingers in between the layers of tire .. and no they aren't new had them since the spring
Time to buck up and buy some new rubber

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Time to buck up and buy some new rubber

Yea going to buy some WTBs and try something different then maxxis been running them since I was a.kid

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
I have a new (under a year old) Rockshox Revelation RC fork with 140 mm of travel. Recently the compression knob for the damper (on the top right side of the fork) started moving very slightly up and down within the first inch of the forks travel, resulting in a small clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this?

If I put my finger on top of the compression adjustment knob and apply slight pressure to compress the fork I can feel the small vertical movement on my finger and the click goes away. I took the adjustment knob off and cleaned under it and checked to see if it was loose and found no issues. The fork feels fine performance wise and the different compression settings work when I adjust the compression.

The actual part of the damper that adjusts the compression (the part that slots into the adjuster knob top cap, visible when the top cap is removed) also moves very slightly up and down when the fork compresses, so that is definitely the source of the clicking and movement.

Is it normal for this part of the damper to move slightly up and down (the movement is hardly visible to the eye but you can feel it) when the fork is in use? I'd appreciate any insight or similar experiences because the I cant find any other examples online regarding the top adjustment knob of the damper having small vertical play. The bike shop looked at it and said it felt fine but the noise started out of nowhere on a relatively new fork (about 40 hours of trail riding).

Thanks!

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
What's best suited derailluier for a 36t front ring and 28-11t rear short-medium-long?

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
adamgreen wrote:
What's best suited derailluier for a 36t front ring and 28-11t rear short-medium-long?

Shimano zee

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
Im using a sram x5 9 speed but was wondering if an xo 9speed deralliur short cage would work with a x9 9 speed shifter?

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 19:11 Quote
adamgreen wrote:
Im using a sram x5 9 speed but was wondering if an xo 9speed deralliur short cage would work with a x9 9 speed shifter?

Would be ace, rule is match brand and number of speeds and you'll always be set.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
adamgreen wrote:

short cage would be the best option here

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
Keep in mind that the X0 9-speed short cage derailleur is actually designed to wrap up to a 36t cassette cog when used with a single ring, so running it with a 28t cog will slow down the shifting a little and be slightly less accurate than usual. But still your best bet.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
Im using a 36t front ring and 28-11t rear cassette so a short cage should work right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013651
Mobile Version of Website