Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Put your tool in the vice, crank onto the tool land turn the crank the correct way while pushing down to keep everything seated.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
Yes I know. I've got many sets of RF cinch cranks. Usually the non drive side doesn't come with the puller and 8mm bolt, just the one 16mm bolt. That's why spindle kits you buy come with the puller and 8mm bolt, so you can get the spindle off without having to remove and use the one from the drive side.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Put your tool in the vice, crank onto the tool land turn the crank the correct way while pushing down to keep everything seated.

This is a great idea too.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Non drive side probably doesn't have the puller cap and 8mm bolt like on the drive side. It is probably just the single 16mm bolt that was used to tighten down the spindle. He probably has to remove the 16mm bolt (which is what I'm assuming is the one stuck), then install the 8mm bolt and 16mm puller cap to push the spindle off.

And yes, the crank will take that torque. Think of how much torque you're putting into the crank when hammering up a climb or landing a drop. Way more than you can put on it with a wrench...

This is exactly what I'm trying to do.

EDIT. I got it off

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
Well for future reference the RF torque spec for the 8mm hex bolt is 50 N-m/37 lb-ft. It’s not a very high torque value really.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Well for future reference the RF torque spec for the 8mm hex bolt is 50 N-m/37 lb-ft. It’s not a very high torque value really.

Really? I think 50NM is a ton of torque for a bicycle component. More than anything else on my bike.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Well most bicycle bolts are pretty small and flimsy by design. On a motorcycle or car that’s nothing.

If they used something smaller and it creaked most bicyclists would act like the world was ending or something.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Well most bicycle bolts are pretty small and flimsy by design. On a motorcycle or car that’s nothing.

freerider11 wrote:
I think 50NM is a ton of torque for a bicycle component

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
50nm is a crazy high torque for a bike part. SRAM/Truvativ crank arm fixing bolts have a rating of 54nm and most cassette lock rings usually have a 40nm rating. For reference, stem bolts are usually between 4 and 6nm. Shimano pinch bolts on their cranks have a rating of 12-14nm each.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
The only point intended is that it’s not so high that you shouldn’t be able to brake it loose later without using a cheater bar

Then again, maybe I’m stronger than I think having wrenched on race cars most of my life despite being 2-3x older than most of you whippersnappers.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 22:01 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
The only point intended is that it’s not so high that you shouldn’t be able to brake it loose later without using a cheater bar

Then again, maybe I’m stronger than I think having wrenched on race cars most of my life despite being 2-3x older than most of you whippersnappers.

2x older than myself would make you 70. 3x would be 105. I don't think you're either of those ages.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 22:20 Quote
According to his profile, he's 98 years young Smile

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
kwapik wrote:
According to his profile, he's 98 years young Smile

I don't believe that's correct..Wink

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
seraph wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

2x older than myself would make you 70. 3x would be 105. I don't think you're either of those ages.

Well you don’t qualify as a whippersnapper having begun your descent from the peak lol

In your case, slightly less than 2x. I forget that a lot of mtb’rs are skinny arm flyweights. Otherwise maybe lay off the soy milk lattes ...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017454
Mobile Version of Website