Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
lecoz wrote:
Hi!when ridind in the 10-15C temperature, the suspensions begin to react slower. There is adjustements to make (LSC or rebound) to achieve the same feeling as when riding in summer temperature?

Reduce all damping. You should have a dial for LSR, maybe LSC, and possibly HSC and HSR. It's not a perfect solution to adjust only some of these, but anything helps.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
Hey,

Anyone know the shock length of the Slayer 2020? Haven't been able to find it anywhere googleing. Is it still 230x65mm like the 2017-2019 or does it have a new sizing?

Cheers aye,

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
What the deal with take off shocks from bike frames?

Every company say something like "we work with [insert suspension company name] to custom tune the shock for our bikes." Does that mean anything more than, "we picked the L or M or H tunes for rebound and compression for our frame based on the frames leverage ratio"; a la this chart. Or is it there something more meaningful going on that would mean you couldn't find a take off in the right L/M/H tunes and it would work for your bike's LR.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
A Creak from Hell.

I have a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp aluminum that recently developed a creak. I took it into my LBS and they changed out the bottom bracket, stillest creaked, replaced all the suspension bearings, still creaks, replaced bearing in head set, still creaks. lubed the seat clamps and all cable routes, still creaks. The weird thin is it creaks no matter what, if the pedals a weighted or unweighted, on or off the seat, in fact it will creak simply by moving the bike back and forth. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on or have had this problem before?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
What the deal with take off shocks from bike frames?

Every company say something like "we work with [insert suspension company name] to custom tune the shock for our bikes." Does that mean anything more than, "we picked the L or M or H tunes for rebound and compression for our frame based on the frames leverage ratio"; a la this chart. Or is it there something more meaningful going on that would mean you couldn't find a take off in the right L/M/H tunes and it would work for your bike's LR.

"Custom tuned" usually means, as you guessed, the manufacturer has chosen something other than M-M-0 (the latter being spacers).

There currently exist bikes in any given category with flat leverage curves and others with 50% rising rates. Many bikes use the same tune for size XS - XL, despite the expected riders for the latter being twice the weight of the former. If all these things can coexist, I hope this is enough to debunk the myth that factory set-ups are perfect and inviolable.

Unless you, your bike, or the donor bike is an outlier, the compatibility will be somewhere between ideal and passable.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
joshkayaks wrote:
A Creak from Hell.

I have a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp aluminum that recently developed a creak. I took it into my LBS and they changed out the bottom bracket, stillest creaked, replaced all the suspension bearings, still creaks, replaced bearing in head set, still creaks. lubed the seat clamps and all cable routes, still creaks. The weird thin is it creaks no matter what, if the pedals a weighted or unweighted, on or off the seat, in fact it will creak simply by moving the bike back and forth. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on or have had this problem before?

Thanks
Shock bushings?

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
joshkayaks wrote:
A Creak from Hell.

Thanks
Shock bushings?
Yes checked this too, was in the shop when he took them out.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:48 Quote
joshkayaks wrote:
A Creak from Hell.

Thanks

hub bearings

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
joshkayaks wrote:
A Creak from Hell.

Thanks

hub bearings

had the hub bearings changed two months ago because that was initially what I thought it was

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
joshkayaks wrote:
A Creak from Hell.

Thanks
just another weird thing that happened. It was really cold yesterday and I had the bike on top of my car for a while. When I got it home a brought it inside I could not get it to creak like I was able to before. I have not ridden it yet so we will see if it comes back
Shock bushings?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
What fork is on there? Been one or two known to get a creak in the crown area.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
szot123 wrote:
Hey,

Anyone know the shock length of the Slayer 2020? Haven't been able to find it anywhere googleing. Is it still 230x65mm like the 2017-2019 or does it have a new sizing?

Cheers aye,

Kind of odd that it isn’t listed on their webpage or in any article. Probably should just call or email them. Hopefully the men in black don’t show up at your door, lol.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

We've had to replace a bunch of upper assemblies on Rockshox forks on Specialized models.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
seraph wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

We've had to replace a bunch of upper assemblies on Rockshox forks on Specialized models.

If you don't mind me asking, were any Lyriks or Pikes creaking? Or was it their lower end models?

And just from Specialized bikes?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
kwapik wrote:
seraph wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, were any Lyriks or Pikes creaking? Or was it their lower end models?

And just from Specialized bikes?

Both Pikes and Lyriks. Also Revelations and Recons.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015567
Mobile Version of Website