Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
DrMolo wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
DrMolo wrote:
I should also add it's still no subtle noise, and is much louder than it was pre service
You have air somewhere in the damper, likely there isn't enough fluid.

Kk thanks I'll give that a go. Before I do however, how sensitive is the damper to change in volume, i.e. what size increments should I be putting the oil in?

I would look for the service manual it will tell you how much oil to put in.
I personally use a syringe to make sure im putting the correct amount in- I would not guess at topping it up. Empty and refill with proper amount

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
DrMolo wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

You have air somewhere in the damper, likely there isn't enough fluid.

Kk thanks I'll give that a go. Before I do however, how sensitive is the damper to change in volume, i.e. what size increments should I be putting the oil in?

I personally use a syringe to make sure im putting the correct amount in- I would not guess at topping it up. Empty and refill with proper amount

Kk I'll give that a go then.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
DrMolo wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
DrMolo wrote:

If your fork is 2018

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/service-manuals/rockshox/front-suspension/gen0000000005335-rev-b-30-judy-recon-service-manual-english.pdf

page 9

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:37 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
DrMolo wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

If your fork is 2018

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/service-manuals/rockshox/front-suspension/gen0000000005335-rev-b-30-judy-recon-service-manual-english.pdf

page 9

Thanks for that, my fork is actually the 2015 model, and I did use official guide for the volume. However because I didn't have the time to degrease the inside of the damper stanchion, I just took a couple of mL off what they said to account for any oil that didn't drain out.

And when I say I didn't clean it, I inspected everything and made sure it was dirt free.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
Dude just for future reference if your going to do fork service don't half ass it, either do it right or don't do it, cuz when you half ass your rebuild and the fork fails and you end up on Friday fails with your teeth knocked out. Your gunna regret not taking the extra 10 mins it takes to do something right

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
Yesterday when jra my bike made a loud bang noise and I was sure it was a spoke snapping. However upon checking my bike I can find nothing wrong and I've checked for cracks too.
Kinda unnerving. Anybody got any ideas?
Kes

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 23:18 Quote
Did you feel anything? like through the bars or pedals. Could just be the chain misaligned an clunking back into sinc

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
I felt it through the whole bike! I'm pretty sure it wasn't the chain clunking though cos I wasn't pedalling.
Kes

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
We're you breaking at the time? Sounds like it's time for a thorough cleaning and inspection. Imagine if you had previously stressed your frame or something, and it finally cracked at this moment. I'd check it closely so you can maybe save your money for a new bike instead of helping your dentist but his.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
Maybe a silly question: Is there any trick or quick way to size chain length for full suspension bike without remove or deflate rear shock?

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Yesterday when jra my bike made a loud bang noise and I was sure it was a spoke snapping. However upon checking my bike I can find nothing wrong and I've checked for cracks too.
Kinda unnerving. Anybody got any ideas?
Kes

Well winter is here which means bike tear down season. Sounds like you get to do yours ASAP.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
naraku wrote:
Maybe a silly question: Is there any trick or quick way to size chain length for full suspension bike without remove or deflate rear shock?

Charter a Bus.

Plan a scenic-route through the Apple Orchards - Roger's Orchards in New Britain Conn. is in Season, yuk it up w/ the locals, and pick a fresh, brand new Bike Shop that features your bike.

Act real snobby, like your time is being wasted just by being inside the building. Then after showing you obviously are a cycling genius, quickly run over to your bike on the floor.

Count the links on that bike and check the chainring and cassette sizes.

Make sure you don't get stuffed into the Luggage Compartment on the Bus, and return home with your knowledge.

Or. Or... count links on your old chain, add/subtract links per whatever it is you've gone and done to your gearing.

You decide.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
OnionRing wrote:
naraku wrote:

Charter a Bus.

Plan a scenic-route through the Apple Orchards - Roger's Orchards in New Britain Conn. is in Season, yuk it up w/ the locals, and pick a fresh, brand new Bike Shop that features your bike.

Act real snobby, like your time is being wasted just by being inside the building. Then after showing you obviously are a cycling genius, quickly run over to your bike on the floor.

Make sure you don't get stuffed into the Luggage Compartment on the Bus, and return home with your knowledge.

Or. Or... count links on your old chain, add/subtract links per whatever it is you've gone and done to your gearing.

You decide.

Plus one for the Apple Orchard. Much more thorough methodology. Wink

PS. which agrarian establishment should you go to if this isn't a mod on an existing bike with chain and rather a new build where a chain hasn't ever been installed and you don't want to air down or remove the shock?

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
OnionRing wrote:
naraku wrote:

Charter a Bus.

You decide.

Plus one for the Apple Orchard. Much more thorough methodology. Wink

PS. which agrarian establishment should you go to if this isn't a mod on an existing bike with chain and rather a new build where a chain hasn't ever been installed and you don't want to air down or remove the shock?

lol, I read the post 3 times to make sure I'm not crazy....

anyway, I'm mainly refering to new build without an old chain to compare with...

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
naraku wrote:
anyway, I'm mainly referring to new build without an old chain to compare with...

The short answer is "no". There are ways you could do it, but none of them are quicker or easier than the normal way, which involves fully compressing the shock.

If you have a reference bike with the same chainstay length, same sprockets, and nearly the same kinematics, you could use the length from the reference bike. To determine if the bikes have the same kinematics, download Linkage, become familiar with it, and find bikes that produce the same chain growth with the same configuration. Or just compress your shock and set up the chain the traditional way.

P.S. freestylAM has good ideas. You should listen to him. Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037860
Mobile Version of Website