Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 15:48 Quote
I have a slx derailleur with a zee shifter and I like it had a slx shifter before that I found it felt clumsy in the shifts

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
Not to derail the discussion, but having tried both I found the SLX shifters to be much nicer than the XT shifter. They took significantly less force to press, but still offered very good indexing.

Interesting that we have such different experiences. Some possibilities:

• One set of cables & housing was fresh and the other was dirty
• One set had "cleaner" routing, with less bending, which creates friction
• Your examples were from different model years

All good things to consider, the ones I compared it to were on demo bikes. I guess they could've been dirtier depending on the maintenance done on them throughout the season (probably just getting them shifting well for the next demo).

I also use the teflon coated cables with a bit of triflow in the housing, so I guess that helps.

My frame has a pretty straight routing, so I guess that helps (YT Capra 27.5).

Mine was the 2018 model year, the ones I sampled were 2019.

I think the teflon cable with triflow helps a bunch. It's also probably just a preference thing, I don't particularly like the new SRAM systems for similar reasons.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
I actually have had a similar experience with XT vs SLX shifters. The latter was so much smoother than the former.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
Are we talking 11 or 12 speed. I've got SLX 12 speed and I'm thinking of upgrading to an XT shifter.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
I'm talking about the 11 speed shifter. Haven't played around with Shimano's 12 speed stuff yet.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
Just for informational purposes you can use the sram 12 speed derailleur with your 11 speed setup. When you're ready you can "upgrade" the rest.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
seraph wrote:
I actually have had a similar experience with XT vs SLX shifters. The latter was so much smoother than the former.

Interesting. Does SLX have a longer throw than XT? If so, that would reduce the force.

My observations that made me prefer XT:

• Less axial movement of the lever (tighter pivot). This is what I immediately notice every time I use SLX or XT.
• Multi Release, which I found useful.
• Instant Release makes the response feel more urgent.
• 2-Way Release is occasionally beneficial. Feels more feature-rich.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 21:43 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

Interesting. Does SLX have a longer throw than XT? If so, that would reduce the force.

My observations that made me prefer XT:

• Less axial movement of the lever (tighter pivot). This is what I immediately notice every time I use SLX or XT.
• Multi Release, which I found useful.
• Instant Release makes the response feel more urgent.
• 2-Way Release is occasionally beneficial. Feels more feature-rich.

Maybe it was the better ergonomics and the longer thumb lever on the SLX that made me favor it over the XT.

It's funny that you mention axial movement, because that's all I feel when I use any Shimano trigger. So much play in the levers. They wobble all over the place. Every SRAM trigger I've used has been tight and precise.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
seraph wrote:
Maybe it was the better ergonomics and the longer thumb lever on the SLX that made me favor it over the XT.

It's funny that you mention axial movement, because that's all I feel when I use any Shimano trigger. So much play in the levers. They wobble all over the place. Every SRAM trigger I've used has been tight and precise.

High-end SRAM shifters feel very well put together.

What I meant about axial movement on SLX and XT is that XT has a lot less of it. Not perfectly tight, but SLX has so much more movement than it should.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
Thank you everyone for the comments. I suppose I posted a dumb question in the first place.

The reason I ask is because I keep seeing these "mini" groupsets on WWC for a 12 speed kit. The price for that isnt much more than a replacement GX RD and Cassette, thats why I asked.

I am going to end up sourcing another NX RD as it works perfectly for me and what I do. If I didnt aready have the GX crankset id switch over to full SLX or XT.

Once again thank you

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
Reverb Stealth A2, I had it down for an extended amount of time ( a few hours ) and now it is collapsed, won't stay up, only returns by manually pulling it. Cylinder didn't lose pressure, it has a solid 250psi. The lever is spongey. Will a bleed do anything to fix this or is this an internal (IFP) failure?

If I had the kit or I would just try to bleed it. If it's mostly likely internal, I'm not investing in a rebuild or the bleed kit, I'm going to another manufacturer.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Stratoblaster wrote:
Reverb Stealth A2, I had it down for an extended amount of time ( a few hours ) and now it is collapsed, won't stay up, only returns by manually pulling it. Cylinder didn't lose pressure, it has a solid 250psi. The lever is spongey. Will a bleed do anything to fix this or is this an internal (IFP) failure?

If I had the kit or I would just try to bleed it. If it's mostly likely internal, I'm not investing in a rebuild or the bleed kit, I'm going to another manufacturer.

I pulled off the reverb last fall and replaced it with a OneUp on my trail bike. It has been pretty good except for some side to side play that I don't notice on the bike.

My fat bike didn't have a dropper and I cheaped out and put a Brand X on it. With a coupon from ChainReaction I think it came in at $135 CAD. Used it quite a lot last winter in cold conditions and it worked flawlessly. The lever supplied with it is kind of cheesy but will run it until it gives me grief. This post has some side to side play as well but not terrible.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
Stratoblaster wrote:

You likely pulled air into the system when you pulled up, what was just a bleed issue it's now a full rebuild.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
You likely pulled air into the system when you pulled up, what was just a bleed issue it's now a full rebuild.

Would the 200 hour service kit cover the required parts?

200 Hour Kit at Worldwide Cyclery

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
Where can us Canadians buy FOX lubes and parts? OGC is useless. If lubes are to hard to find, what are some good alternatives?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020118
Mobile Version of Website