Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Will a 42/52 tapered head tube fit a standard tapered fork?

Yes, that should be an IS style headset for 1 1/8" upper steerer and 1 1/2" lower steerer.

Is IS just the bearing in the frame or do you still press in cups?

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 23:53 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Is IS just the bearing in the frame or do you still press in cups?

IS involves bearings directly against the frame. Ensure the bearings have the same taper angle as the frame and headset.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
I have a pre-2010 RC2 that I lowered to 100mm. I cut the spring (blue) and left it slightly long in hopes to keep the fork stiff..it was an absolute PITA to get the compression cap back on because I was pushing down on the spring. Mind you I'm not a 200 lb gorilla. Essentially I added a bunch of extra preload to the spring.
My issue is that the fork is not stiff enough and I'm assuming the only way to remedy this is with a yellow spring or some other equivalent? Will it be difficult to source one?

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
gcmartini wrote:
I have a pre-2010 RC2 that I lowered to 100mm. I cut the spring (blue) and left it slightly long in hopes to keep the fork stiff..it was an absolute PITA to get the compression cap back on because I was pushing down on the spring. Mind you I'm not a 200 lb gorilla. Essentially I added a bunch of extra preload to the spring.
My issue is that the fork is not stiff enough and I'm assuming the only way to remedy this is with a yellow spring or some other equivalent? Will it be difficult to source one?
Which rc2 ?

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 15:06 Quote
I recently acquired a new bike and it has a Manitou Sherman fork on it. It needs a front axle, but I am having difficulty figuring out what it uses and where I can find one.

I believe it needs a 20mm Hex-Lock non-boost through axle, but I'm not entirely sure if that is correct. All of those I see for sale online are running over $50, which is a bit more than I am willing to pay, although I'd be fine buying used if anyone has one for sale here in Lower Mainland, BC

I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking that it is a 20mm hex-lock axle I need.

I currently only have a picture of the front of the forks, I now realize that the picture I took of the dropouts is way too blurry to be of any help. I'll try to get a picture up later today when I get home.

Manitou Sherman fork on the project DJ will be removing the front brake

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
Pretty sure that fork is before the says of boost and 15mm axles all together. There were few forks that were not a standard 20x110. Your's is almost certainly a standard 20x110. Having said that, I don't think any other axle with work other than Manitou's. Contact them directly, you might luck out.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
Anyone ever make a 31.6 to 34.9mm (3.3mm total) shim from aluminum cans or something like that?

had the shop order one but its taking forever to arrive and i want to ride my new bike already. heard of 0.7mm shims from cans but not 3.3mm.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Anyone ever make a 31.6 to 34.9mm (3.3mm total) shim from aluminum cans or something like that?

had the shop order one but its taking forever to arrive and i want to ride my new bike already. heard of 0.7mm shims from cans but not 3.3mm.

I strongly suspect they won't fit tightly enough and the post will rock back and forth. If the bottom edge of the post contacts the frame, you could crack the frame from the localized loading.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
sosburn wrote:

The Ripmo af does not have a 34.9 seat post diameter Big Grin

But seriously, try to locate one locally. Or order one from Jenson or Universal Cycles or ?

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Which rc2 ?
a van

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
kwapik wrote:
sosburn wrote:

But seriously, try to locate one locally. Or order one from Jenson or Universal Cycles or ?

meh that was the one trade-off of cancelling the ripmo
I’ll check some shops tomorrow, i’d use jenson but the shop that ordered mine initially put their order through jenson, so not likely to get here any quicker haha.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
sosburn wrote:
kwapik wrote:
sosburn wrote:

meh that was the one trade-off of cancelling the ripmo
I’ll check some shops tomorrow, i’d use jenson but the shop that ordered mine initially put their order through jenson, so not likely to get here any quicker haha.

If you don't mind it in silver, QBP has tons of them in stock in their Reno warehouse. Any shop can order from them and it arrives the next day.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
Anyone know of any companies that have a is42/52 45x45 headset all I can seem to find is 36x45

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 1:09 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Anyone know of any companies that have a is42/52 45x45 headset all I can seem to find is 36x45

The Chris King Dropset 2 is a 45x45 bearing top and bottom. Also the Promax IG-45 uses 45x45 bearings.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I recently acquired a new bike and it has a Manitou Sherman fork on it. It needs a front axle, but I am having difficulty figuring out what it uses and where I can find one.

I believe it needs a 20mm Hex-Lock non-boost through axle, but I'm not entirely sure if that is correct. All of those I see for sale online are running over $50, which is a bit more than I am willing to pay, although I'd be fine buying used if anyone has one for sale here in Lower Mainland, BC

I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking that it is a 20mm hex-lock axle I need.

I currently only have a picture of the front of the forks, I now realize that the picture I took of the dropouts is way too blurry to be of any help. I'll try to get a picture up later today when I get home.

Manitou Sherman fork on the project DJ will be removing the front brake

According to this, the part number is 85-5070
https://manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/08/2003-Sherman-Owners-Manual.pdf
Definitely a 20x110 Hex.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039239
Mobile Version of Website