Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
Put some water in the botton of a bucket, about 3inches deep, put a big squeeze of washing up liquid in there, put ya hand in with fingers spread and swish it about to make a thick foam, use the thick foam with no water and slap it on the beads, pump like mad, makes getting the beads to pop on so much easier, can get all tyres to jump on 1st go with a very satisfying series of bangs and pops Smile

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Put some water in the botton of a bucket, about 3inches deep, put a big squeeze of washing up liquid in there, put ya hand in with fingers spread and swish it about to make a thick foam, use the thick foam with no water and slap it on the beads, pump like mad, makes getting the beads to pop on so much easier, can get all tyres to jump on 1st go with a very satisfying series of bangs and pops Smile

+1 for soapy water to encourage beads to slip and seat

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Haven't had to use soapy water on tires since I was a grom.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
seraph wrote:
Haven't had to use soapy water on tires since I was a grom.

... good for you???

Others may not be as skilled and soapy water is one more trick that could help someone seat their tire.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
It's also a great way to have the tire blow straight off the rim.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
seraph wrote:
Lol wut?

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
seraph wrote:
Lol wut?

Too slick, tire gets too much pressure, bypasses the bead. I've seen it a bunch of times. Especially with something as loose as a fatbike tire. Would not recommend.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
seraph wrote:
Lol wut?

Too slick, tire gets too much pressure, bypasses the bead. I've seen it a bunch of times. Especially with something as loose as a fatbike tire. Would not recommend.

I had a tire absolutely refuse to seat a bead the other day so I finally sprayed soapy water on it.. At 35psi a standard 27.5 maxxis tire blew off the rim and exploded in my face.. So absolutely soapy water can cause that to happen.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
What rims were you using when the tires blew off? I've rarely seen a Stan's hold much over 50 psi, with a couple blow-offs below 40 psi. Only one non-Stan's incident and let's just say people who screw with the regulator need to set it back where it's supposed to be.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
a Topeak JoeBlow Booster floor pump at around 100-120 psig and they pop right on dry for me. It’s just one less step and soapy water possibly mingling with tire sealant is also one less thing to not go wrong. To each their own though.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
a Topeak JoeBlow Booster floor pump at around 100-120 psig and they pop right on dry for me. It’s just one less step and soapy water possibly mingling with tire sealant is also one less thing to not go wrong. To each their own though.

Well the last point is moot because realistically you should be putting sealant in through the valve once the bead is already set.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 6:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

Well the last point is moot because realistically you should be putting sealant in through the valve once the bead is already set.

That always seem to gum up the valve, it's definitely the cleanest way of doing it though.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
seraph wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

That always seem to gum up the valve, it's definitely the cleanest way of doing it though.
Use a q-tip to swab it clean before you install the core.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
seraph wrote:

Use a q-tip to swab it clean before you install the core.

Yep, with a removable core that’s exactly what I do after they’re seated and injecting the sealant with a Stan’s syringe setup. Never been any issue at all. With the cotton head on it will go down to the rubber seat and after I clean the top part I pull the cotton off and push through the rubber seal end. Eventually when a tire comes back off I just check them to be sure.

However my point was, you used soapy water to seat the beads. Whether sealant is in there yet or not is irrelevant. You don’t know how much soapy water got in there and it’s not like you have any way for it to dry quickly in an enclosed tire carcass. I’m usually pushing through to completion ASAP. If you’re using a tube then soap seems ok. Situations are going to vary though, but so far no problems and I like it that way. Got enough of those elsewhere, lol.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
Will a 42/52 tapered head tube fit a standard tapered fork?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013708
Mobile Version of Website