Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
If those specs are right then you've got the wrong adapter - you'd need PM 6" to 203.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
If those specs are right then you've got the wrong adapter - you'd need PM 6" to 203.

Looks like we've found our issue then! Thanks for your help

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
About to press deep cup headset. Any thing I should know about or approach as normal? I've reamed the additional depth.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
J1BB wrote:
About to press deep cup headset. Any thing I should know about or approach as normal? I've reamed the additional depth.

Do yourself a favor and ream a bit extra depth.. Otherwise that headset is permanent in that frame unless you cut it out.. My M1 has a Deep cup King headset that's stuck in it unless I want to cut it out..

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
J1BB wrote:

Do yourself a favor and ream a bit extra depth.. Otherwise that headset is permanent in that frame unless you cut it out.. My M1 has a Deep cup King headset that's stuck in it unless I want to cut it out..

+1 Excellent advice. Always have an escape route.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
Just got around to installing a new air spring in my lyrik RC2DH the air spring won't equalize air pressure it's the air spring with the Blue seal head and a Schrader valve, does the fork need to have air in it to equalize cuz I tried to push the shaft down to install the circlip and it wouldn't so I put the air cap on and tried to push it down also with no luck my old air spring pre 2014 would do it just fine I'm not sure if I'm missing something

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
J1BB wrote:

I'm installing a king steelset. I've reamed for extra depth. Now I can't seem to remove the bearings from the steelset is this the norm? Do I press from the external (outer) edge of the cups? leaving the bearings in.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
J1BB wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
J1BB wrote:

I'm installing a king steelset. I've reamed for extra depth. Now I can't seem to remove the bearings from the steelset is this the norm? Do I press from the external (outer) edge of the cups? leaving the bearings in.
always push from the outside.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
Thanks for the reply.
So, in this case (steelset) I do not need to remove the bearings and press with the adaptors pressing against the cup where the bearing would sit? Instead I press with the adaptors pressing against the outer part of the cup (the shell that surrounds the bearings). I'm struggling with wording here

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:42 Quote
J1BB wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
So, in this case (steelset) I do not need to remove the bearings and press with the adaptors pressing against the cup where the bearing would sit? Instead I press with the adaptors pressing against the outer part of the cup (the shell that surrounds the bearings). I'm struggling with wording here
Removing the bearings and pushing from the inside is a tremendously terrible idea for any headset, you can mar or deform the bearing surfaces which is something that is not easy to correct. ALWAYS push from the outer most edge of the cup to avoid this, it is a good idea to remove the bearings so that you have more room for your tooling but please for the love of all that is holy DO NOT push from the inside.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
Got it!
Thanks man

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
I have a 2006 Astrix Havoc. It is missing some suspension parts, namely the Motolink system that the rear shock mounts to. If anyone else has this bike, I would like eye-to-eye measurements of these two pieces so I can recreate them in my machine shop. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Hi guys/gals, I'm sitting here pondering what to do with my giant glory 1 fr 2007/8 model. It is a small size frame and as i am 6ft there about, a touch to small for me.
My question really rattling around, is can i just up size and update my frame and transfer components Shocks Fox DHX4.0, Forks MARZOCCHI 66 RCV, 26 inch wheel to a 27.5 inch wheel etc.
Our should i just update altogether??

any advice on using the most components, i know sizing might be an issue but i need this itch out me mind so any help would be great.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:03 Quote
cypher96 wrote:
Hi guys/gals, I'm sitting here pondering what to do with my giant glory 1 fr 2007/8 model. It is a small size frame and as i am 6ft there about, a touch to small for me.
My question really rattling around, is can i just up size and update my frame and transfer components Shocks Fox DHX4.0, Forks MARZOCCHI 66 RCV, 26 inch wheel to a 27.5 inch wheel etc.
Our should i just update altogether??

any advice on using the most components, i know sizing might be an issue but i need this itch out me mind so any help would be great.

Buy a new bike in the right size. If you're 6' tall you likely need a large frame. I'm 5'11" and I ride a large with a 35mm length stem.

The steer tube on your fork is likely cut too short to fit into a large size frame anyway. Also a 26" fork rarely has the clearance for a decent 27.5" wheel/tire combo.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
This is sort of a mechanical question. I hope. Apologies if not.

All vertical bike mounts that I've seen hang the bike from the front wheel. For a full-suspension bike, is there a reason to avoid hanging it from the back wheel? Or is that just a convenience and ease-of-hanging issue?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038345
Mobile Version of Website