Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I recently acquired a new bike and it has a Manitou Sherman fork on it. It needs a front axle, but I am having difficulty figuring out what it uses and where I can find one.

I believe it needs a 20mm Hex-Lock non-boost through axle, but I'm not entirely sure if that is correct. All of those I see for sale online are running over $50, which is a bit more than I am willing to pay, although I'd be fine buying used if anyone has one for sale here in Lower Mainland, BC

I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking that it is a 20mm hex-lock axle I need.

I currently only have a picture of the front of the forks, I now realize that the picture I took of the dropouts is way too blurry to be of any help. I'll try to get a picture up later today when I get home.

According to this, the part number is 85-5070
https://manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/08/2003-Sherman-Owners-Manual.pdf
Definitely a 20x110 Hex.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
Gazzamatazzzz wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
I recently acquired a new bike and it has a Manitou Sherman fork on it. It needs a front axle, but I am having difficulty figuring out what it uses and where I can find one.

I believe it needs a 20mm Hex-Lock non-boost through axle, but I'm not entirely sure if that is correct. All of those I see for sale online are running over $50, which is a bit more than I am willing to pay, although I'd be fine buying used if anyone has one for sale here in Lower Mainland, BC

I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking that it is a 20mm hex-lock axle I need.

I currently only have a picture of the front of the forks, I now realize that the picture I took of the dropouts is way too blurry to be of any help. I'll try to get a picture up later today when I get home.

According to this, the part number is 85-5070
https://manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/08/2003-Sherman-Owners-Manual.pdf
Definitely a 20x110 Hex.

Thanks! There's still a few older shops in my area I'll call around to and see if they have any old ones lying around, plus there's a community repair shop that has dozens of bins full of random parts they've collected over the years

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
gcmartini wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Which rc2 ?
a van
Is it a 32 a 36 or a 40?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Is it a 32 a 36 or a 40?
36 van rc2, sir

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
Put on a chainguide and noticed my raceface narrow wide chainring is a tiny bit bent. easiest way to bend it back to straight?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
Put on a chainguide and noticed my raceface narrow wide chainring is a tiny bit bent. easiest way to bend it back to straight?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 18:31 Quote
sosburn wrote:
hammer, adjustable wrench, specifically designed chainring straightening tool... all of them work

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
Ditch the hammer unless you want to permanently f*ck up the finish on your chainring. If it's not rubbing on the guide I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
Hey I just bought a brand new (2019) Transition Patrol and the rear Deluxe select+ leaks a bit of air nearly every ride (around 10 to 20 psi) and that is on top of the the 10 psi my pump takes. The shop told me this is normal but it seems like this is bullshit. or is it more likely that since ive gotten volume spacers put in that the negative spring is stealing my psi over the ride, as ive emptied and filled it on each ride (well the shop did) to add in more spacers. Also, it is last years model so could sitting on the shop floor for months have had any effect on the seals or something? Cheers.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
seraph wrote:
Ditch the hammer unless you want to permanently f*ck up the finish on your chainring. If it's not rubbing on the guide I wouldn't worry too much about it.

haha yeah sounds like a good way to break some teeth off of the chainring. thanks!

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 22:06 Quote
My race face NW chain ring came bent also I used a adjustable spanner and straightened it as best as possible and it seemed to work well was kinda pissed that a $70 chain ring was bent right off the start but shit happens

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 22:26 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
My race face NW chain ring came bent also I used a adjustable spanner and straightened it as best as possible and it seemed to work well was kinda pissed that a $70 chain ring was bent right off the start but shit happens

why didn’t you just warranty it?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 22:50 Quote
iridedj wrote:
Hey I just bought a brand new (2019) Transition Patrol and the rear Deluxe select+ leaks a bit of air nearly every ride (around 10 to 20 psi) and that is on top of the the 10 psi my pump takes. The shop told me this is normal but it seems like this is bullshit. or is it more likely that since ive gotten volume spacers put in that the negative spring is stealing my psi over the ride, as ive emptied and filled it on each ride (well the shop did) to add in more spacers. Also, it is last years model so could sitting on the shop floor for months have had any effect on the seals or something? Cheers.

Absolutely not normal. Sounds like a warranty to me. If the shop you bought it from won't do it, take it somewhere else with your proof of purchase.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
seraph wrote:
iridedj wrote:

Absolutely not normal. Sounds like a warranty to me. If the shop you bought it from won't do it, take it somewhere else with your proof of purchase.
Guess ill call the rockshox specific shop and see what they say, thanks.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
sosburn wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

why didn’t you just warranty it?

It was bought as a Xmas gift and by the time I got around to putting it on the bike it was a month later and didn’t think they would warranty it, so I just fixed it

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025852
Mobile Version of Website