Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:12 Quote
I kinda figured, shucks a whole new bike - not a bad thing. perfect thanks for the response

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
seraph wrote:
cypher96 wrote:
Hi guys/gals, I'm sitting here pondering what to do with my giant glory 1 fr 2007/8 model. It is a small size frame and as i am 6ft there about, a touch to small for me.
My question really rattling around, is can i just up size and update my frame and transfer components Shocks Fox DHX4.0, Forks MARZOCCHI 66 RCV, 26 inch wheel to a 27.5 inch wheel etc.
Our should i just update altogether??

any advice on using the most components, i know sizing might be an issue but i need this itch out me mind so any help would be great.

Buy a new bike in the right size. If you're 6' tall you likely need a large frame. I'm 5'11" and I ride a large with a 35mm length stem.

The steer tube on your fork is likely cut too short to fit into a large size frame anyway. Also a 26" fork rarely has the clearance for a decent 27.5" wheel/tire combo.

I kinda figured, shucks a whole new bike - not a bad thing. perfect thanks for the response

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
cypher96 wrote:
Hi guys/gals, I'm sitting here pondering what to do with my giant glory 1 fr 2007/8 model. It is a small size frame and as i am 6ft there about, a touch to small for me.
My question really rattling around, is can i just up size and update my frame and transfer components Shocks Fox DHX4.0, Forks MARZOCCHI 66 RCV, 26 inch wheel to a 27.5 inch wheel etc.
Our should i just update altogether??

any advice on using the most components, i know sizing might be an issue but i need this itch out me mind so any help would be great.

New frame will almost certainly use a different size shock, as standards changed from imperial to metric, as well as the introduction of trunnion mounts on some bikes. 27.5 wheels will not fit in the 26 fork, as they are larger in diameter and will hit the arch. Parts like bars and drivetrain should be able to be swapped over, but bars have gotten significantly wider over the years and frames are now designed with that in mind, as well as all the new technology in regards to drivetrain. I'd say it would be best to just buy a whole new bike. Most shops are putting old models on sale right now, as well as people are selling their used bikes right now so they can buy a new one next season

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:
This is sort of a mechanical question. I hope. Apologies if not.

All vertical bike mounts that I've seen hang the bike from the front wheel. For a full-suspension bike, is there a reason to avoid hanging it from the back wheel? Or is that just a convenience and ease-of-hanging issue?

Convenience and mounting.
We used to hang bikes on hooks from rear wheel because in the waiting area we needed to hang alternating up and down for space.
The rear wheel is on an axle attached to frame nearly the same as front.
I would say damage to the fork is more likely than hanging from rear.

Frame is often in the way if you are hanging by a tray type vertical mount for the rear wheel.
Holding the frame and trying to mount the rear wheel while the front is stabbing you and flopping around not easy either.
Handle bars to move around is much easier.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
potato wrote:
DennisETaylor wrote:

All vertical bike mounts that I've seen hang the bike from the front wheel. For a full-suspension bike, is there a reason to avoid hanging it from the back wheel? Or is that just a convenience and ease-of-hanging issue?

We used to hang bikes on hooks from rear wheel because in the waiting area we needed to hang alternating up and down for space.

Frame is often in the way if you are hanging by a tray type vertical mount for the rear wheel.
Holding the frame and trying to mount the rear wheel while the front is stabbing you and flopping around not easy either.

Thanks. Yeah, it doesn't sound nearly as convenient. However, I'm trying to figure out how to get as many bikes as possible into a bike locker, which is IIRC something like 20'x15'. Most bike owners are just casual riders, so I have to avoid something complex or requiring a lot of upper-body strength. Or having people loosen their bars to turn them sideways.

I was thinking of alternating face-up and face-down along the wall, staggered enough so that the bars wouldn't get in the way too much.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:
potato wrote:
DennisETaylor wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, it doesn't sound nearly as convenient. However, I'm trying to figure out how to get as many bikes as possible into a bike locker, which is IIRC something like 20'x15'. Most bike owners are just casual riders, so I have to avoid something complex or requiring a lot of upper-body strength. Or having people loosen their bars to turn them sideways.

I was thinking of alternating face-up and face-down along the wall, staggered enough so that the bars wouldn't get in the way too much.

Alternating is the best for fitting as many bikes as possible. I work at a bike shop and we do that for storage in the back. One shop I used to work at did that as well as bikes standing on the floor in between each of the hanging bikes for maximum efficency

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
DennisETaylor wrote:

There is no mechanical concern with hanging the bike by either wheel.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
Cassette question: I have a Specialized FSRxc with a stretched chain. I was looking online to replace the chain and cassette. There are a lot of choices. Based on my spec sheet I downloaded from Specialized the cassette is a Shimano HG50 9 speed 11-34t
I mostly ride dirt trails and have struggled a bit with some of the gears on steep hills. Do I need to replace the cassette for the same model or is there another one that might be better for an old man going up steep hills?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
Please help - spindle length question - need answer!
I have an 83mm shell and am using 30mm external bottom bracket cups that are approximately 9.5mm wide per cup. My rear hub spacing is 150mm.
Is it possible run a set of e thirteen cranks with a 155mm spindle length and offset of 78mm with my configuration?
Would spacers be applicable?
This is on a 200/220 dh/fr single pivot bike that will see very limited usage, i.e., 6-8 park days a season.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
yobosaeyo wrote:
Cassette question: I have a Specialized FSRxc with a stretched chain. I was looking online to replace the chain and cassette. There are a lot of choices. Based on my spec sheet I downloaded from Specialized the cassette is a Shimano HG50 9 speed 11-34t
I mostly ride dirt trails and have struggled a bit with some of the gears on steep hills. Do I need to replace the cassette for the same model or is there another one that might be better for an old man going up steep hills?
Thanks

You might be able to. It'd depend on what size cog the der can accept, the one you have might max out at 34T, although that does seem a bit low. As for the chain length, you'd get a new chain anyway, so that can be changed, no problem.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
yobosaeyo wrote:
Thanks

Deraillieur of this vintage may have issues going past 36 teeth.
Going 11-36 is what i would recommend, not a huge gain but a bit.
Shimano compatible 9 speed cassette will fit.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
yobosaeyo wrote:
Thanks

İ used tourney on 11 46 cassette when my deraileur broke

So everything is possible

photo

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 0:01 Quote
Noeserd, that set-up is ... it's just ... I've never ... but how does it ... Crank Brothers ...

Salute

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 1:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Noeserd, that set-up is ... it's just ... I've never ... but how does it ... Crank Brothers ...

Salute

They came with the bike and i selled them after 3 months of use Big Grin they're crap

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.207404
Mobile Version of Website