Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
Can you mix Shimano Shifters and Rear Der. with SRAM Cassette, chain and chainring?

For a 1x11 system:
I have an XTR shifter, XTR rear d, with a sram X01 cassette, sram xx1 chain, and sram front chain ring. I have this existing setup on a hardtail, works fine.

I am building an s-works enduro with the same setup. The folks at competitive cyclist said these parts don't play well together, and I am having second thoughts. Anyone else have this setup? any problems?

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
I currently have a couple bikes with almost that exact setup. 11s XX1 cassette and chain. XTR derailleur/shifter. And RF NW ring. No problems. Did they say why it won't work?

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
jensnorman wrote:
Can you mix Shimano Shifters and Rear Der. with SRAM Cassette, chain and chainring?

For a 1x11 system:
I have an XTR shifter, XTR rear d, with a sram X01 cassette, sram xx1 chain, and sram front chain ring. I have this existing setup on a hardtail, works fine.

I am building an s-works enduro with the same setup. The folks at competitive cyclist said these parts don't play well together, and I am having second thoughts. Anyone else have this setup? any problems?

Should be fine, the 11 spd chain width is the same for SRAM and Shimano.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I currently have a couple bikes with almost that exact setup. 11s XX1 cassette and chain. XTR derailleur/shifter. And RF NW ring. No problems. Did they say why it won't work?

They just said "they don't play well together". But like you, I have had no problems on my current setup. Thanks for confirming I'm not alone in this.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
jensnorman wrote:

For a 1x11 system:

Like you said - it works fine. There's quite a bit of mixing and matching of drivetrain components. CC is probably just trying to sell you some parts.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
kwapik wrote:
jensnorman wrote:

For a 1x11 system:

Like you said - it works fine. There's quite a bit of mixing and matching of drivetrain components. CC is probably just trying to sell you some parts.
Sram and Shimano don't advise running their systems with other manufacturers components which is likely why competitive cyclist is pushing this.

There may also be compatibility issues with the 12 speed stuff.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 22:39 Quote
My xt8020 4 pot caliper died, so I grabbed a new 8120 as it was cheaper. It doesn’t seem to be compatible - can anyone confirm? The lever doesn’t seem to push enough fluid.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
My understanding is Shimano enlarged the routing orifices on the 7120/8120/9120 caliper assemblies and modified the lever assembly to help the Shimano mineral oil flow easier - that is not be as restrictive as in earlier calipers. This was especially evident in very cold temperatures.

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but Shimano did do some redesigning internally.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 23:14 Quote
Yeah, the caliper / hose banjo bolt and flow is massively different. I suspect the new lever pushes more fluid. It would explain them being backwards compatible (new lever, old caliper) but not the other way.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
heinous wrote:
My xt8020 4 pot caliper died, so I grabbed a new 8120 as it was cheaper. It doesn’t seem to be compatible - can anyone confirm? The lever doesn’t seem to push enough fluid.
Bad bleed. Try again

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
So you’ve run this successfully? It’s had a fully bleed, and it’s behaving differently to other set ups.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
heinous wrote:
So you’ve run this successfully? It’s had a fully bleed, and it’s behaving differently to other set ups.
All mineral oil Shimano lever and calipers are cross compatible, this hasn't changed with the new calipers.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
heinous wrote:
All mineral oil Shimano lever and calipers are cross compatible, this hasn't changed with the new calipers.

There is some incompatibility across the line actually, but it's usually in the form of "doesn't push enough fluid". I've had issues bleeding Saint calipers to XTR levers and similar.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
heinous wrote:

There is some incompatibility across the line actually, but it's usually in the form of "doesn't push enough fluid". I've had issues bleeding Saint calipers to XTR levers and similar.
That said you can usually use a thinner bleed block and get them to work well albeit with sightly less pad spacing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011571
Mobile Version of Website