Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

All mineral oil Shimano lever and calipers are cross compatible, this hasn't changed with the new calipers.

There is some incompatibility across the line actually, but it's usually in the form of "doesn't push enough fluid". I've had issues bleeding Saint calipers to XTR levers and similar.
That said you can usually use a thinner bleed block and get them to work well albeit with sightly less pad spacing.

So you've not tried? I've experimented with piston position, and if the lever doesn't push enough fluid you have two problems - it doesn't run enough clearance retracted and can't account for wear.

Having run a full syringe+bucket bleed on this set up I'm starting to think it's likely not compatible. I've run XTR Race levers with saint and lots of other options, these are the first shimano levers that seem incompatible. When I say doesn't push enough fluid, I mean pushes far, far too little fluid.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
heinous wrote:
My xt8020 4 pot caliper died, so I grabbed a new 8120 as it was cheaper. It doesn’t seem to be compatible - can anyone confirm? The lever doesn’t seem to push enough fluid.

Should be compatible, yet anytime you mix in this way the possibility for things not to work is always there. The big thing to check is if the 8120 is running on the different hose and barb/olive system than the 8020, which it shouldnt. The 8120 has also been fairly infamous so far for providing quite inconsistent results in regards to how the actual brake handles on every pull of the lever. I would try re-bleeding, it may be helpful to gravity bleed from the lever down, that way you can remove the pads and if needed, advance the pistons a bit with the funnel still attached to "over-bleed" the system. this will take up the slack in the lines.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
Just a quickie
if a truitive decendant crank has a 100mm axle length is that 68/73 or 83 BB?
seller doesn't know
cheers

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 2:06 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Just a quickie
if a truitive decendant crank has a 100mm axle length is that 68/73 or 83 BB?
seller doesn't know
cheers
Likely 68/73. 100-83=17mm for cups and splines which seems very low

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
If I'm not using a front brake, does it matter whether or not my 20x110 hub matches the fork in regards to boost/ non-boost

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
If I'm not using a front brake, does it matter whether or not my 20x110 hub matches the fork in regards to boost/ non-boost

20x110 of old is not the same as 20x110 boost. Here's an article about the difference.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

20x110 of old is not the same as 20x110 boost. Here's an article about the difference.

I know the differences in brake spacing and flange width, I'm wondering it they're physically compatible without a front brake. For example, my DJ has only a rear brake and has a non-boost 20x110 fork, and if I wanted a stiffer wheel could I use a boost hub

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:57 Quote
Fork 110? then a 110 hub will fit. So yes

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
Works fine. If you decide to run brake you’ll need a spacer.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 21:05 Quote
Halo wideboy hub, 20mm hub with no disc mounts for a wider flange.
Also
Does any body know the custom axle places? There's some body on the DJ thread that needs one

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
Robert Axle Project

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 22:07 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Also
Does any body know the custom axle places? There's some body on the DJ thread that needs one

That's probably me looking for the axle lmao, but hey if I can get one made for less that $80 I'd definitely go for it

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Also

A boost hub 20x110 works on non boost fork with same axle, just not the front brake. I know this as my pro4 hub is boost and my lyrik is not.

Person looking for axle, wolf tooth has some axles, in colours depending what axle you're looking for

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
Also

That's probably me looking for the axle lmao, but hey if I can get one made for less that $80 I'd definitely go for it
I have a lathe I could maybe build you one... What dimensions do you need?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011512
Mobile Version of Website