Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
prenderville wrote:
Hi everyone. I’ve got a trek slash 9.8 with a press fit dub 92mm BB, long story short I need to buy new cranks but the ones I’ve bought are too wide !? I’m just wondering which ones should I buy. I originally bought the carbon descendants. Can anyone tell me which size or key words I need to look for that will fit my bike?
TIA
The current bb standard situation is a mess, you will need cranks designed to fit a 68/73mm traditional Shell or the bb92 standard (I'm assuming you have a 29r slash that's 2017+)

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
prenderville wrote:
Hi everyone. I’ve got a trek slash 9.8 with a press fit dub 92mm BB, long story short I need to buy new cranks but the ones I’ve bought are too wide !? I’m just wondering which ones should I buy. I originally bought the carbon descendants. Can anyone tell me which size or key words I need to look for that will fit my bike?
TIA
The current bb standard situation is a mess, you will need cranks designed to fit a 68/73mm traditional Shell or the bb92 standard (I'm assuming you have a 29r slash that's 2017+)
The problem I have is that I have a DUB bb and I’m currently limited to sram and they display zero information about what they fit. Just the fact they’re dub and they fit all ????

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
prenderville wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
prenderville wrote:
TIA
The problem I have is that I have a DUB bb and I’m currently limited to sram and they display zero information about what they fit. Just the fact they’re dub and they fit all ????
Do you think spacers would suffice ?

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 17:22 Quote
prenderville wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
prenderville wrote:
TIA
if you have the Dub Cranks and the Dub BB92 then you're probably missing something or doing something wrong. Mine went together with zero issues whatsoever.

Did the BB come with spacers?

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 21:23 Quote
I found a good deal on a new alloy dj frame, it is a euro bb (BSA) but has damaged threads. how could it be fixed and rideable?

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
BrokeTeen wrote:
I found a good deal on a new alloy dj frame, it is a euro bb (BSA) but has damaged threads. how could it be fixed and rideable?

That depends on how damaged they are. If the threads are only damaged on one side, you can use a double-sided BB thread chaser to clean them up. Just be careful about heat buildup and use plenty of cutting fluid.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
[Quote="Nobble"]
prenderville wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

The current bb standard situation is a mess, you will need cranks designed to fit a 68/73mm traditional Shell or the bb92 standard (I'm assuming you have a 29r slash that's 2017+)[/Quote
if you have the Dub Cranks and the Dub BB92 then you're probably missing something or doing something wrong. Mine went together with zero issues whatsoever.

Did the BB come with spacers?
I found out that I had been sent a Cannondale specific set. So it wasn’t my fault

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
Ive got an ethriteen trsr xd hub cassette (it says trsr on the back but i cant find anything online for it, only trs+). Ive managed to get the smaller sprockets off with the chainwhip, but I cant figure out how to get the larger sprockets off, as there is no cinch bolt like on the newer models. Any suggestions?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Ive got an ethriteen trsr xd hub cassette (it says trsr on the back but i cant find anything online for it, only trs+). Ive managed to get the smaller sprockets off with the chainwhip, but I cant figure out how to get the larger sprockets off, as there is no cinch bolt like on the newer models. Any suggestions?
https://service.bythehive.com/Guide/How+to+remove+10+&+11+speed+TRS+cassettes/72

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 0:12 Quote
You need the E.13 tool. The one with the big hole. It goes over the driver and allows you to thread the lock ring off.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
Hi,

I have a 170 mm Rockshox Yari RC with the motion control damper. I would consider myself to be an aggressive rider, yet I have never bottomed out my fork. I have done countless drops and jumps, landing flat many times, but there always seems to be 5 - 10 mm of travel left. I am assuming this is due to the forks high speed compression and the fact that I am only 135 - 140 lbs (61 - 63 kg) depending on how much gear I am wearing. I understand that it is possible to change the shim stack to add or remove high speed compression. How would I go about to do this and what tools do I need, specifically lightening the high speed compression and removing the damper?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
uhhh. You just don’t add or remove compression shims you need to rebuild or reshape the shim stack and it’s not something that is easy...

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
Its almost not worth the hassle. Especially because you may not get it right the first time and you'll have to remove and change the shims multiple times. Just save up some $ and buy the RC2 damper from the Lyrik.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
ZoneCheck wrote:
Hi,

I have a 170 mm Rockshox Yari RC with the motion control damper. I would consider myself to be an aggressive rider, yet I have never bottomed out my fork. I have done countless drops and jumps, landing flat many times, but there always seems to be 5 - 10 mm of travel left. I am assuming this is due to the forks high speed compression and the fact that I am only 135 - 140 lbs (61 - 63 kg) depending on how much gear I am wearing. I understand that it is possible to change the shim stack to add or remove high speed compression. How would I go about to do this and what tools do I need, specifically lightening the high speed compression and removing the damper?

Thanks,
Alex

The easiest approach - and perfectly effective - is to just use a thinner fluid in the damper.

1. Find the factory-spec RockShox fluid variant in the bible of suspension fluids. I believe it's RockShox 5 wt.
2. Refer to the cSt @ 40°C value: 16.10 cSt if it's RockShox 5 wt.
3. Find something significantly thinner, such as Spectro Golden, Torco RFF 5, etc.
4. Overhaul the damper with the new fluid.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ZoneCheck wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Alex

The easiest approach - and perfectly effective - is to just use a thinner fluid in the damper.

1. Find the factory-spec RockShox fluid variant in the bible of suspension fluids. I believe it's RockShox 5 wt.
2. Refer to the cSt @ 40°C value: 16.10 cSt if it's RockShox 5 wt.
3. Find something significantly thinner, such as Spectro Golden, Torco RFF 5, etc.
4. Overhaul the damper with the new fluid.

Exactly what RMR said but also want to just to say that PVD is a saint. Doing the Lord's work with his standardized viscosity measurement table.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013477
Mobile Version of Website